• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should HR hire Mueller to write a report for them?

I wonder how many people will accept the report if it is contrary to what they have been wishing for

There's a reason the article doesn't refer to Mueller. Once he submits his report, all control goes to the AG. Mueller is out of the picture.

I'm sure Barr is aware of his responsibilities under the law and I have no reason to expect him to not comply with the law.

The point is that your article doesn't support your contention with the idea that the House can call Mueller to testify on elements of the report. It was educational in its own right and I enjoyed it, but it didn't support your claim that "he cannot write a report for them that includes anything that he found in his investigation." In short, you haven't provided anything to demonstrate that Mueller is muzzled in any way.

The point is that your article doesn't support your contention with the idea that the House can call Mueller to testify on elements of the report. It was educational in its own right and I enjoyed it, but it didn't support your claim that "he cannot write a report for them that includes anything that he found in his investigation." In short, you haven't provided anything to demonstrate that Mueller is muzzled in any way.

sigh...

Again...once Mueller gives his report to the AG, the AG has control. The AG decides what is released. Nobody else can decide.

Sure...the House can call Mueller in to testify, but he cannot decide on his own what to tell them about the results of his investigation. By law, that decision resides with the AG. If Mueller tells the House anything, it will be with the permission of the AG...or he won't tell them anything.

sigh...

Again...once Mueller gives his report to the AG, the AG has control. The AG decides what is released. Nobody else can decide.

Sure...the House can call Mueller in to testify, but he cannot decide on his own what to tell them about the results of his investigation. By law, that decision resides with the AG. If Mueller tells the House anything, it will be with the permission of the AG...or he won't tell them anything.

If that's true, your article doesn't say that. So I can only assume you got that from a different source or from nowhere at all.

It is obvious after today that there is going to be an epic battle coming up about the Mueller Report and who will be able to read it unedited and unreacted and untouched. I have one simple solution.

The House of Representatives can hire Robert Mueller to write a report for them on grounds of impeachment.

Problem solved.

Never ever going to happen. NEVER! But you already know that.

Here's my understanding I've gleaned over the months, and I make no claims to it's accuracy.

1] The Mueller report goes to the A.G., who then decides what if anything he wants to do with it.

2] The A.G. is required to provide a report to Congress upon their request, but this report is simply a concise summation of prosecutorial decisions.

3] The Grand Jury testimony normally cannot be made public, even to Congress.

4] It may be possible for either judiciary committee to get the Grand Jury testimony via a court order from the district judge, but it's very rare and not a given at all. That being said, the House did get Nixon's GJ testimony this way.

Like I said, the above is my understanding, but I cannot claim unblemished accuracy.

There's a reason the article doesn't refer to Mueller. Once he submits his report, all control goes to the AG. Mueller is out of the picture.

I'm sure Barr is aware of his responsibilities under the law and I have no reason to expect him to not comply with the law.
I agree. Legally, Barr is required to send his (Barr's) report to Congress upon their request. But that report will be Barr's brief summation of Mueller's report - not Mueller's report itself.

Wow, you are terrified of the truth. You would support anything to protect Trump, even burying evidence.

If Trump and the DOJ try to pull this then he will be impeached. I doubt ordinary Americans would look favorably upon a coverup.

They didn't last time, but I fully expect Trump to make the same fatal mistakes because he's spent his entire life convinced that if HE does something stupid, (and even illegal) it's smart. (and probably legal)

A lot of narcissistic people do this all the time.

Hiring an attorney and paying someone to testify is a billion light years apart.

Look, ultimately, I agree on the central issue: calling on Mueller to testify about pertinent facts concerning the report and the AG's handling of it is legitimate. Fussing over paying him is silly...and unnecessary. Mueller walked away from a six or seven figure income to be SC. He's not in this for the money.

I was merely presenting ways that the House could get the information in the report if the AG attempts to hide much of it from the American people.

It is obvious after today that there is going to be an epic battle coming up about the Mueller Report and who will be able to read it unedited and unreacted and untouched. I have one simple solution.

The House of Representatives can hire Robert Mueller to write a report for them on grounds of impeachment.

Problem solved.

If there is evidence that Trump did something wrong, it will come out. Just relax.

Paying someone to release classified information is straightup bribery. It's literally, espionage.

Accessing the vital information necessary to do its constitutional responsibilities is very much right and proper and legal. If you prevent the Congress from doing that, then you successfully defeat the very purpose of the impeachment clause in the Constitution.

Yeah! It's called, The Espionage Act.

Quote the section you believe allows the Executive Branch to prevent the Legislative Branch from accessing the information it needs to perform their jobs under the language in the US Constitution.

Mueller can come back into the picture if called before the House as they attempt to fulfill their constitutional responsibilities.

Never ever going to happen. NEVER! But you already know that.

It could very well happen if the Executive Branch attempts to keep secret important information the House needs to carry out its constitutional responsibilities.

If there is evidence that Trump did something wrong, it will come out. Just relax.

How will this "come out" if the AG is the sole determiner of what happens to the information in the Mueller report and the AG does NOT want to release it?

How will this "come out" if the AG is the sole determiner of what happens to the information in the Mueller report and the AG does NOT want to release it?

Mueller is not new to this rodeo and has already begun the release of some data through indictments and passing on to state AG offices. It is also likely he has put contingencies in place to protect his investigation from obstruction.

Mueller is not new to this rodeo and has already begun the release of some data through indictments and passing on to state AG offices. It is also likely he has put contingencies in place to protect his investigation from obstruction.

I agree that there are ways to get bits and pieces of information out. Yes. But what if the House wants the complete report so they can fulfill their constitutional responsibilities? Should they not have the right to it?

I agree that there are ways to get bits and pieces of information out. Yes. But what if the House wants the complete report so they can fulfill their constitutional responsibilities? Should they not have the right to it?

Yes, they have the right to it as well as many other things that this administration will fight to keep secret. This is why Mueller must use backdoor tactics and stay within legal means. He fortunately knows the system very well and has friends and massive respect which will go a long way considering Trump has the opposite. Likely even Burr wont risk his reputation and future to protect a man who has clearly displayed he will toss ANYONE under a bus.

If that's true, your article doesn't say that. So I can only assume you got that from a different source or from nowhere at all.

If Mueller ever does sit before a House committee, there will be an AG-appointed attorney sitting right next to him. That attorney will be telling Mueller exactly which questions he can answer and which he can't. And Mueller will do exactly what that attorney says because he doesn't want to go to jail.

The Gang of Eight can get the complete report...they have the clearance. But they cannot pass that on to anyone else in the House or to the public without permission from the AG or the President.

And if the House needs the report to carry out its constitutional responsibilities? What then?

They'll have to find another way to do so.

They CANNOT have classified, confidential or sensitive information unless the AG or the President decide to give it to them. Neither can the public.

Seriously...have you learned nothing over the last two years? Do you know nothing about what the Republicans in Congress have been through with trying to carry out their constitutional responsibilities? What makes you think the Democrats in Congress deserve special treatment?

Oh...wait...you might not be able to "Get Trump!!" without that special treatment. Yeah...to hell with the law. Getting Trump is all that matters.

Mueller can come back into the picture if called before the House as they attempt to fulfill their constitutional responsibilities.

Sure. But he cannot give them any information that the AG doesn't want them to have.

The Gang of Eight can get the complete report...they have the clearance. But they cannot pass that on to anyone else in the House or to the public without permission from the AG or the President.

I ask again - if the Constitution bestows certain powers and responsibilities upon the House of Representatives in the area of impeachment, how can they be expected to exercise these responsibilities if the Executive Branch decides NOT to reveal the evidence that could lead to impeachment?

Sure. But he cannot give them any information that the AG doesn't want them to have.

Which would violate the intent of the US Constitution since that document bestows and grants certain powers and responsibilities upon the House of Representatives in the area of impeachment. How can they be expected to exercise these responsibilities if the Executive Branch decides NOT to reveal the evidence that could lead to impeachment?

Back
Top Bottom