• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should flag burning be protected speech

Should flag burning be protected speech

• Total voters
I voted no. Since the flag is the symbol of our country and our country's constitution is the entity that guarantees free speech it would seem that burning the flag is symbolically destroying free speech. IF one feels the country needs changing then the tools and procedures to affect those changers are guaranteed by the constitution which is the framework of our freedom.

So allowing free speech is destroying free speech?

Perhaps a fine for CO2 and other emissions as a result should be assessed?
Although I've never heard a flag say anything at all when set afire, I've only found it useful in showing me people I should probably best avoid.
In order for that to be legally legit, the fine would have to apply to other burning such as campfires,.yard debris, and charcoal grills, to name a few.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Burning the flag,of course. A burning flag produces no speech.

It is a political statement. Still protected though that started to change when der trumpengroper got his fee fees hurt.

You're barking up the wrong tree

The flag is the symbol of our country

Not politicians. Not government
Its a piece of cloth. You dont own a flag that was bought by someone else. The ability to burn a flag is as American as apple pie as they say.

I certainly do see a lot of jingoism in this thread. Of course a jingoist would engage in all sorts of cruelty to protect an image of a country because that is all they have. A flag is just that, a representation not the principles or institutions or even the people themselves.

I am not in favour of flag burning.

To vary another saying:

"Where flags are burned today - tomorrow human beings will be burned!"

Back
Top Bottom