• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should College Football be privatized?

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Im one of the few people in the world that really doesnt pay attention to college ball. Despite the fact I went to the orange, I dont hate it however I just couldnt get into it. This article makes a decent case to turn college sports over the private sector.

Privatize Football by S.M. Oliva

Im one of the few people in the world that really doesnt pay attention to college ball. Despite the fact I went to the orange, I dont hate it however I just couldnt get into it. This article makes a decent case to turn college sports over the private sector.

Privatize Football by S.M. Oliva

While i agree in general with the message, i think we should not miss the forest for the trees. As long as these athletes make millions (or billions) of dollars for other people and institutions, corruption will persist.

Point shaving is a major problem in college sports, and the NCAA has financial reasons to sweep it under the rug. Instead, they target big name athletes and schools in an attempt to show the fans they are serious about enforcing the rules.

No, I don't think you should. The NCAA does all it can to incentivize players to go to schools on as close to even ground as possible. If you privatize, you essentially separate the marquee schools from other quality programs.

Granted, as a Michigan alumnus this would only help my school as we probably blow more in a week than Boise State budgets its AD for a year, but I think you take away the feel-good stories and shift the focus not on education but on athletics.

In the term "student athlete", student comes first.

Back
Top Bottom