• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shortened school week a good idea?

Have you called this company to ask about possible one-day rates?

No. Obviously you didn't either.

My girlfriend used to work for Kindercare though, which is how I knew about their rate policies in the first place.

No, they won't accept a per-day rate. They make their money off the long-term contract, much like a cell phone company does.

They do not do "ala carte."

I would bet that there are other facilites that are not dumps that offer this service outright, and many others would most likely be open to working with you should this change actually take place in the school system.

Find one. Find such an institution, because most other people haven't found the place you say exists.

If they do exist, they're exceptions and they're probably full and backed up.

No business is going to turn away a potential huge source of revenue by turning away a lot of people for 1 day a week. If the demand arises, expect the supply to follow.

Parents need daycare. They're not losing customers by setting these contracts. You need a phone in a modern society. Parents need daycare as well. They've got to go somewhere, and this is the standard for the industry among reliable, safe, chained daycare centers.

They're not losing any customers over this. Not many at least, and the few they do they more than make up for with the profits from those that contract their services regardless of the clauses.

I am not overly concerned about ensuring that someone I don't know has access to childcare should this change take place.

Okay, if you're speaking purely for yourself, then that's fine. Don't portray it as a society-wide benefit then though.

If this is in your best interests and the rest of the world be damned, so be it. Just be honest about that stance in the process.

My point is that if people need to afford it, they will figure out a way to afford it, and it won't come in the form of massive quanitities of people quitting their jobs, like 1069 seemed to indicate.

I think you're uninformed on the circumstances of most people. If you'd like to show your point, I can pose a challenge to you and you can show me how it can be done for "most people."

Let me know, but be careful, I already know what the results are going to be.

Hint: Presume you're an American who makes a median income ($45,000 per year).

Presume you have only one child. Presume you live in an average city... Let's use Denver in this case, because the cost of living is much lower than that of Chicago, LA, New York, Miami, and so on. This is probably the most "affordable" major city in the United States, so let's presume you make 45k a year, have one kid, and live in Denver.

Do a budget. Show me how much money you have.

Of course, this is the median income. Median is not "average" nor is it "what most people make."

The reality is that a parent who does not have a college degree (the vast majority of people) doesn't make a whole lot of money. They also work a lot.

If their child is not in school they have to choose between paying for daycare or taking time off of work, neither of which they can really afford to do.

While you've stated you're speaking from your own perspective - which is fine - you're also making blanket statements about the rest of our society. Statements that are wrong, that ignore the realities of what life is like for other people, and of what their situations are.

I don't mind if you want to speak from your personal circumstance in life. I do mind however, when you presume (in error) that all others share your specific circumstance and this is why it's not a problem.

No. Obviously you didn't either.

My girlfriend used to work for Kindercare though, which is how I knew about their rate policies in the first place.

No, they won't accept a per-day rate. They make their money off the long-term contract, much like a cell phone company does.

They do not do "ala carte."

The cell phone example is a poor one because prepaid and "pay as you go" phones are increasing in popularity. Like I said, if the demand arises, supply will follow. I think we could agree on that.

Find one. Find such an institution, because most other people haven't found the place you say exists.

If they do exist, they're exceptions and they're probably full and backed up.

Possibly, but the more demand, the more supply should arise again.

Parents need daycare. They're not losing customers by setting these contracts. You need a phone in a modern society. Parents need daycare as well. They've got to go somewhere, and this is the standard for the industry among reliable, safe, chained daycare centers.

They're not losing any customers over this. Not many at least, and the few they do they more than make up for with the profits from those that contract their services regardless of the clauses.

Possibly.

Okay, if you're speaking purely for yourself, then that's fine. Don't portray it as a society-wide benefit then though.

If this is in your best interests and the rest of the world be damned, so be it. Just be honest about that stance in the process.

I think you're uninformed on the circumstances of most people. If you'd like to show your point, I can pose a challenge to you and you can show me how it can be done for "most people."

Let me know, but be careful, I already know what the results are going to be.

Hint: Presume you're an American who makes a median income ($45,000 per year).

Presume you have only one child. Presume you live in an average city... Let's use Denver in this case, because the cost of living is much lower than that of Chicago, LA, New York, Miami, and so on. This is probably the most "affordable" major city in the United States, so let's presume you make 45k a year, have one kid, and live in Denver.

Do a budget. Show me how much money you have.

Of course, this is the median income. Median is not "average" nor is it "what most people make."

The reality is that a parent who does not have a college degree (the vast majority of people) doesn't make a whole lot of money. They also work a lot.

If their child is not in school they have to choose between paying for daycare or taking time off of work, neither of which they can really afford to do.

While you've stated you're speaking from your own perspective - which is fine - you're also making blanket statements about the rest of our society. Statements that are wrong, that ignore the realities of what life is like for other people, and of what their situations are.

I don't mind if you want to speak from your personal circumstance in life. I do mind however, when you presume (in error) that all others share your specific circumstance and this is why it's not a problem.

I would need a little more info about this hypothetical to make an actual budget. For example, do I own or rent, public school, private etc?

Since this was bumped I thought I'd add in a new thought on the issue.

I'm actually taking classes at the college, first time I've been on campus - I have classes MWF and TR - all 5 days of the week. The only way me taking these classes is possible is that all of the kids are in school, now.

If they went to a 4 day week I would only be able to take 3 classes on T and R - It wouldn't be possible for me to take a full semester of 5 classes - at most it would be 3.

The ful article can be found here

The idea is that cutting a day out of an American student's school week is a good stopgap measure for townships that are hemorrhaging money.

Just wanted to hear your opinions.

Many state government have gone to 4 day work weeks. What they are finding is that it isnt providing the cost savings they anticipated. And while a 4 day workweek is nice, it isnt meeting the stated goals.
Maybe the answer starts with changing the emphasis in the schools back to education, and not social programming. Teach the basics. Have high expectations of students. Provide every student the opportunity to succeed, but allow students who choose to drop out or be disruptive in schools to face the consequences of their choices. Pay teachers an appropriate salary...merit based...testing with positive results rewarded and get rid of the dead weight. Start there...then consider the 'creative' options.

Many state government have gone to 4 day work weeks. What they are finding is that it isnt providing the cost savings they anticipated. And while a 4 day workweek is nice, it isnt meeting the stated goals.
Maybe the answer starts with changing the emphasis in the schools back to education, and not social programming. Teach the basics. Have high expectations of students. Provide every student the opportunity to succeed, but allow students who choose to drop out or be disruptive in schools to face the consequences of their choices. Pay teachers an appropriate salary...merit based...testing with positive results rewarded and get rid of the dead weight. Start there...then consider the 'creative' options.

the issue is money. that's why the 4 day week. many schools have already cut the "creative" options, because they can't afford them.

the issue is money. that's why the 4 day week. many schools have already cut the "creative" options, because they can't afford them.

How much money will a 4-day week save school systems? I'd say not much at all. It would also put a tremendous burden on many working parents. Anyone know what these supposed savings would be?

How much money will a 4-day week save school systems? I'd say not much at all. It would also put a tremendous burden on many working parents. Anyone know what these supposed savings would be?

i would hope the school districts have run the numbers. it could be difficult for parents, though.

No it's not a good idea. If anything they need to be spending more time in the classroom.

Back
Top Bottom