• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shipbuilder Warns of Layoffs if Biden Doesn’t Buy More Destroyers

It's Bath Iron Works obligation to find contracts if it wants to keep it's employees working, not the Fed's

Never said it was.

The article is about BIW asking the Navy to make up its mind about any pending ship orders. Yes or no.

Yeah, you’re going to have to do better than that. Post a link from a DARPA showing there are currently deployed satellite weapons.

Actually I don't. Whether you want to stay ignorant or not is your choice.

Go do your own research.

Actually I don't. Whether you want to stay ignorant or not is your choice.

Go do your own research.

Dude, you are the one making an utterly insane claim. You have the burden of proof.

It would be great if the United States had more destroyers built (to keep people employed) and gifted them to Taiwan in case the Chinese Emperor orders an attack on that island.
China has a missile system that would sink them all in a matter of hours at most.

China has a missile system that would sink them all in a matter of hours at most.

What missile system is that? The one that’s never even been tested let alone actually hit a moving target in the middle of the ocean?

What missile system is that? The one that’s never even been tested let alone actually hit a moving target in the middle of the ocean?

It has multiple missile systems, and multiple delivery systems for them. The DF21 and 26 are ballistic missiles that are supposed to be able to find moving targets. It has plenty of more traditional anti ship missiles, launched by air, sea and land. The conventional missiles would be more than enough to hit Taiwanese ships and disable them in a short period of time.

Taiwan facing China is much like Iraq facing the US, it can put up a fight but if the attacker is determined they will lose

It has multiple missile systems, and multiple delivery systems for them. The DF21 and 26 are ballistic missiles that are supposed to be able to find moving targets. It has plenty of more traditional anti ship missiles, launched by air, sea and land. The conventional missiles would be more than enough to hit Taiwanese ships and disable them in a short period of time.

Taiwan facing China is much like Iraq facing the US, it can put up a fight but if the attacker is determined they will lose

You realize that conventional anti-ship missiles are exactly what the AEGIS system was design to defend against, yes?

The DF-21 has never even been tested as an anti-ship weapon, let alone actually shown it can work.

Academic how many they have / build . The US never wins a battle / conflict .

Look how the 'enemy ' sent all the aircraft carriers scuttling and limping .What a debacle that was .

And the likelihood is that both the Chinese and Russians would blow 'destroyers ' out of the water with DEW .

Why use tin ships paddling through waterways when you can control any location by satellite ?

For the moment only ocean underwater tubs which are location disguised are going to produce results .And not the results which will benefit humanity .

What the hell are you babbling about?

Do you even know what DEW is?

Not an ultimatum, but a warning that what is in the Pentagons "orders-pipeline" is not enough to retain the current shipbuilding workforce at Bath.

This happens all the time at Bath Iron Works.
They lay people off as projects wind down, rehire when they get new orders to build.
As for the poster who said they should go on Food Stamps and Welfare, they sometimes do, but mostly they get Unemployment instead.

You realize that conventional anti-ship missiles are exactly what the AEGIS system was design to defend against, yes?

The DF-21 has never even been tested as an anti-ship weapon, let alone actually shown it can work.

Certainly, but China would not launch just one missile, it would launch multiples at each ship, it would use subs to launch torpedos, it would send jets and bombers as well.

The volume of fire would overwhelm the Taiwan ships,

Certainly, but China would not launch just one missile, it would launch multiples at each ship, it would use subs to launch torpedos, it would send jets and bombers as well.

The volume of fire would overwhelm the Taiwan ships,

The AEGIS combat system is designed to combat a mass missile attack. That’s literally what it was intended to defend against.

Not an ultimatum, but a warning that what is in the Pentagons "orders-pipeline" is not enough to retain the current shipbuilding workforce at Bath.
Just what Maine needs right now. But just how many destroyers does the military need? Are they getting sunk and I missed it?

The AEGIS combat system is designed to combat a mass missile attack. That’s literally what it was intended to defend against.

Yes I know, I also know that no system is 100 % effective, especially when having to respond to multiple actual threats from multiple vectors.

I would count on a few missiles getting through, disabling the ships

Yes I know, I also know that no system is 100 % effective, especially when having to respond to multiple actual threats from multiple vectors.

I would count on a few missiles getting through, disabling the ships

Disabling the entire Taiwanese navy?

Disabling the entire Taiwanese navy?

Entire no, major surface vessels sure

A matter of resources, China has vastly more resources than Taiwan. It could send 300 old J7 jets all set up as drones to attack the Taiwanese navy. That would eat up the majority of Taiwanese anti air missiles and China would lose old outdated jets dating from the 1960’s

That would allow China to use its more modern jets to use closer range anti ship missiles with a lower chance of being shot down.

The main problem China would face in attacking Taiwan would be landing troops on it in high enough levels to gain control. It has the firepower to destroy Taiwanese air and naval power but not enough capacity to land enough soldiers in a short enough time to gain full control before major land fighting would take place

Entire no, major surface vessels sure

A matter of resources, China has vastly more resources than Taiwan. It could send 300 old J7 jets all set up as drones to attack the Taiwanese navy. That would eat up the majority of Taiwanese anti air missiles and China would lose old outdated jets dating from the 1960’s

That would allow China to use its more modern jets to use closer range anti ship missiles with a lower chance of being shot down.

The main problem China would face in attacking Taiwan would be landing troops on it in high enough levels to gain control. It has the firepower to destroy Taiwanese air and naval power but not enough capacity to land enough soldiers in a short enough time to gain full control before major land fighting would take place

You don't think the AEGIS system and EW systems Taiwan has can tell the difference between drones and anti-ship missiles?

So you want us to build destroyers for Taiwan with American taxpayer dollars to keep the poor MIC shipbuilding companies happy.

This must be that fiscal responsibility thing I've heard so much about.

Back
Top Bottom