• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shingle Mountain

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

How a pile of toxic pollution was dumped in a community of color

Marsha Jackson didn’t go to the mountain. The mountain came to her.

From her home in south Dallas, she watched it grow until it towered at 60 feet tall and spread all the way to her backyard, “a few feet from my bedroom.”

The mountain is human-made — an environmental nightmare of discarded roofing shingles stretching more than a city block. Even though it’s an illegal toxic waste dump on the edge of a neighborhood, it took months of pressure to get city officials to even acknowledge its existence and finally make plans to take it down.

========================================================================================
Shingle Mountain didn’t just appear from out of nowhere. It formed just south of a section of Dallas settled by formerly enslaved people, an area that for more than a century has been zoned for everything White citizens didn’t want in their neighborhoods: industrial rail yards, chemical plants, concrete mixing facilities, warehouses that lure up to 100 diesel trucks per day and a massive landfill.

The stars at night are big and bright...

From her home in south Dallas, she watched it grow until it towered at 60 feet tall and spread all the way to her backyard, “a few feet from my bedroom.”

The mountain is human-made — an environmental nightmare of discarded roofing shingles stretching more than a city block. Even though it’s an illegal toxic waste dump on the edge of a neighborhood, it took months of pressure to get city officials to even acknowledge its existence and finally make plans to take it down.

========================================================================================
Shingle Mountain didn’t just appear from out of nowhere. It formed just south of a section of Dallas settled by formerly enslaved people, an area that for more than a century has been zoned for everything White citizens didn’t want in their neighborhoods: industrial rail yards, chemical plants, concrete mixing facilities, warehouses that lure up to 100 diesel trucks per day and a massive landfill.

If it makes you feel any better, Texas has been bamboozling poor white trash the same way for years.
Nestled in between Mansfield (where wife and I lived for six years) and Cedar Hill (an affluent mostly black suburb also in South Dallas) sits Midlothian, a mostly white bedroom community and host to no less than FOUR lunker size concrete plants.
Midlothian racked up one of the highest rates of birth defects in the entire country for several years in a row.

Basically, if you wanted to live in a cleaner area, you had to go North of I-30.
For black families that was not an option because Interstate 30 was historically a racial line, NO developers, NO HOA's and NO banks would permit black families to move in anywhere north of I-30 but even today, it is damn near impossible unless you are Deon Sanders.
Your presence as a black family north of I-30 is almost guaranteed to get you a very chilly reception.

How evil. We should shut down all of modern society right away. I can just imagine all the white Robber Barons smoking cigars and deciding to poison them colored kids just because they’re white and evil.

How evil. We should shut down all of modern society right away. I can just imagine all the white Robber Barons smoking cigars and deciding to poison them colored kids just because they’re white and evil.

You really should try out the whole "common decency" thing sometime.

You really should try out the whole "common decency" thing sometime.
You’ve already said you support destroying the livliehood of hundreds of thousands of people if it merely increases your perception of quality of life. You have zero decency and so your BS statement is completely disingenuous

You’ve already said you support destroying the livliehood of hundreds of thousands of people if it merely increases your perception of quality of life. You have zero decency and so your BS statement is completely disingenuous

Again you really should try out common decency. For example, it's indecent to mischaracterize the views of others. I stated that the West Virginia model of an economy based on extraction industries doesn't benefit anyone in the end. I then pointed out that the real growth and opportunities in our economy (and other developed economies around the world) are knowledge economy jobs. I would also extend those to the trades.

Back
Top Bottom