• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Shellie Zimmerman files for divorce

I'm not going to catch you up to speed if you weren't paying attention when this news outlet deliberately edited out part of the 9-11 tape. You can certainly Google it and listen for yourself/read transcripts of what was actually said and what was deliberately omitted by NBC.

From Variety:

In media defamation cases, plaintiffs have to show that the facts about them were false, that the news story was about them and caused harm and, in the case of public figures, that there was malice, or that the news outlet knew it was false and went ahead and published it anyway. Zimmerman was not a public figure before the shooting of Trayvon Martin last year, and an issue in his litigation may very well be the extent to which he falls into the category of a “limited purpose” public figure. Courts have weighed the extent to which a person voluntarily becomes part of public debate.

Zimmerman’s suit claims that the airing of the 911 call caused Zimmerman emotional distress, and exposed him to “public contempt, ridicule, hatred and threats to his life,” and “conveyed the impression that Zimmerman is a hostile ‘racist’ who shot Trayvon Martin because the young man was African American.”

“NBC saw the death of Trayvon Martin not as a tragedy but as an opportunity to increase ratings, and so set about to create the myth that George Zimmerman was a racist and predatory villain,” the suit stated. “The goal was simple: keep their viewers alarmed, and thus always watching, by menacing them with a reprehensible series of imaginary and exaggerated racist claims.”

George Zimmerman Verdict Gives New Wrinkle to Libel Case Against NBC | Variety
of course you are not going to offer any proof of your allegation
because you don't have any

you asserted "it was willful, manipulative deception." yet you are unable to prove any of it

You think so?

IDK maybe he gets book money, interview money or even a movie buck; but those have to happen right now or they won't likely happen at all. I tend to think the lame stream media that tried so hard to lynch him would be all over anyone paying him money?

That Lame Stream Media is one of the folk who will be paying George money!

Actually, Jewell didn't win one lawsuit. Several media outlets settled with him, without acknowledging any fault or apologizing (as Jewell demanded). The only case that wasn't settled was dismissed.

And in the instances of settlements, nearly all of the money went to the lawyers, etc

Settlement or law suit, it looks like Jewell got money from his distractors. About 1/3 goes to the lawyers. George will not only be Not Guilty but rich.

Settlement or law suit, it looks like Jewell got money from his distractors. About 1/3 goes to the lawyers. George will not only be Not Guilty but rich.

Richard Jewell did not die a wealthy man. While only 1/3 of settlements went to pay lawyers fees, a large portion went to pay taxes, legal expenses, etc.

GZ will make about as much money from his criminal exoneration as OJ did

Actually, Jewell didn't win one lawsuit. Several media outlets settled with him, without acknowledging any fault or apologizing (as Jewell demanded). The only case that wasn't settled was dismissed.

And in the instances of settlements, nearly all of the money went to the lawyers, etc

Absolute hogwash. The case was dismissed because he died. Nice smoke and mirrors there. All the others settled out of court. $500.000 from NBC alone and you can bet most of it did not go to the lawyers. Although I am certain Uncle Sam got the largest cut.

Piedmont College, The New York Times, Cox Enterprises and CNN all settled for undisclosed amounts.

So even if they all settled for $500,000 he would have got a minimum of 2.5 million. Of which he probably kept close to $750,000 of it going by the average percentage lawyers receive and taxes.

You can look up all the information here...

Richard Jewell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS Janet Reno DID apologies.

Last edited:
Richard Jewell did not die a wealthy man. While only 1/3 of settlements went to pay lawyers fees, a large portion went to pay taxes, legal expenses, etc.

GZ will make about as much money from his criminal exoneration as OJ did

OJ was actually guilty and everyone knew it. He then lost the lawsuits against him. GZ has no such issues, none. The parents are not going to sue as far as I know because they at this point have no wrongful death case.

you asserted "it was willful, manipulative deception." yet you are unable to prove any of it

They edited the tape to make him sound racist. They used incorrect pictures of Trayvon when he was 12? How much evidence do you need????

Sure I am. I'm not willing to. What I said was that I wasn't going to catch you up to speed. Both the unedited and unedited tapes and transcripts are out there...IF you are genuinely interested, you can Google. Somehow, I don't think you are.

OJ was actually guilty and everyone knew it. He then lost the lawsuits against him. GZ has no such issues, none. The parents are not going to sue as far as I know because they at this point have no wrongful death case.

Actually I think it is possible OJs son did it, but OJ knew about it......;)

Unless the stand-your-ground motion is granted (which I understand they're filing or have filed), there's likely to be a civil suit. The standard of proof, as you know, is lesser there. I think he does have issues. Strategy going on in the background on both sides.

Unless the stand-your-ground motion is granted (which I understand they're filing or have filed), there's likely to be a civil suit. The standard of proof, as you know, is lesser there. I think he does have issues. Strategy going on in the background on both sides.

He has already won the criminal case and will be granted the SYG. No civil case will happen. Again the burden is different, but they still have no case.

Sure I am. I'm not willing to. What I said was that I wasn't going to catch you up to speed. Both the unedited and unedited tapes and transcripts are out there...IF you are genuinely interested, you can Google. Somehow, I don't think you are.

more lies
you are unable to prove your stupid post

more lies

Justabubba that is so intellectually dishonest I don't know where to begin. You ignore other posts stating the reasons why to attack and basically call Nota a liar. that is just wrong.

more lies

Justabubba that is so intellectually dishonest I don't know where to begin. You ignore other posts stating the reasons why to attack and basically call Nota a liar. that is just wrong.

Absolute hogwash. The case was dismissed because he died. Nice smoke and mirrors there. All the others settled out of court. $500.000 from NBC alone and you can bet most of it did not go to the lawyers. Although I am certain Uncle Sam got the largest cut.

Piedmont College, The New York Times, Cox Enterprises and CNN all settled for undisclosed amounts.

So even if they all settled for $500,000 he would have got a minimum of 2.5 million. Of which he probably kept close to $750,000 of it going by the average percentage lawyers receive and taxes.

You can look up all the information here...

Richard Jewell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS Janet Reno DID apologies.

If the settlements were considered punitive damages, taxes would not be due on that.

If the settlements were considered punitive damages, taxes would not be due on that.

Oh OK. Learn something new every day.

Thanks.

Settlements are not considered punitive

It can be part of a settlement though...

Punitive damages, also known as exemplary damages, may be awarded by the trier of fact (a jury or a judge, if a jury trial was waived) in addition to actual damages, which compensate a plaintiff for the losses suffered due to the harm caused by the defendant. Punitive damages are a way of punishing the defendant in a civil lawsuit and are based on the theory that the interests of society and the individual harmed can be met by imposing additional damages on the defendant. Since the 1970s, punitive damages have been criticized by U.S. business and insurance groups which allege that exorbitant punitive damage awards have driven up the cost of doing business.Punitive damages have been characterized as "quasi-criminal" because they stand halfway between the criminal and Civil Law. Though they are awarded to a plaintiff in a private civil lawsuit, they are noncompensatory and in the nature of a criminal fine. - punitive damages legal definition of punitive damages. punitive damages synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

It would however be up to the jury/judge.

Thanks

It can be part of a settlement though...

Punitive damages, also known as exemplary damages, may be awarded by the trier of fact (a jury or a judge, if a jury trial was waived) in addition to actual damages, which compensate a plaintiff for the losses suffered due to the harm caused by the defendant. Punitive damages are a way of punishing the defendant in a civil lawsuit and are based on the theory that the interests of society and the individual harmed can be met by imposing additional damages on the defendant. Since the 1970s, punitive damages have been criticized by U.S. business and insurance groups which allege that exorbitant punitive damage awards have driven up the cost of doing business.Punitive damages have been characterized as "quasi-criminal" because they stand halfway between the criminal and Civil Law. Though they are awarded to a plaintiff in a private civil lawsuit, they are noncompensatory and in the nature of a criminal fine. - punitive damages legal definition of punitive damages. punitive damages synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

It would however be up to the jury/judge.

Thanks

did you see the part about "may be awarded by the trier of fact (a jury or a judge, if a jury trial was waived"

Punitive damages are awarded in court, not in a settlement.

In settlements, the payee usually doesn't (and in the Jewell cases, did not) even admit fault.

did you see the part about "may be awarded by the trier of fact (a jury or a judge, if a jury trial was waived"

Punitive damages are awarded in court, not in a settlement.

In settlements, the payee usually doesn't (and in the Jewell cases, did not) even admit fault.

Yes I did and "settlement" is not all inclusive to mean no trial or not awarded by a civil trial. You are assuming everyone would settle out of court. This may not be true.

Settlement simply means the matter was settled. Not how it was settled.

Yes I did and "settlement" is not all inclusive to mean no trial or not awarded by a civil trial. You are assuming everyone would settle out of court. This may not be true.

Settlement simply means the matter was settled. Not how it was settled.

True. A settlement can be reached at any time prior to a decision. In some cases, a settlement must be approved by the judge. However, settlements (at least in general) do not include an admission of fault so they don't have punitive damages as that would be an implicit admission of fault.

what is wrong is to make false claims
be challenged to defend them
insist that the claims can be defended
but refuse to do so
not calling him a liar
just saying his post i referenced is nothing but a lie
he is unable to defend it
as i notice you have been unable to do

Back
Top Bottom