• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Sex Ed.

I don't think giving someone under the age of consent a condom is saying, "Be responsible."

Gandhi>Bush said:
I don't think giving someone under the age of consent a condom is saying, "Be responsible."

Thats not all they do believe me

I don't have to believe you. I just graduated from highschool so this isn't exactly a stagnated topic for me. I know the kind of kids in highschool. I'm one of them.

If someone teaches a kid how to use a condom and do it with perfect use, that's intelligent. If someone gives a kid a condom and says, "Just in case..." they're basically saying, "It's okay that you're being irresponsible, just use this."

That's not a good policy.

Gandhi>Bush said:
I don't have to believe you. I just graduated from highschool so this isn't exactly a stagnated topic for me. I know the kind of kids in highschool. I'm one of them.

If someone teaches a kid how to use a condom and do it with perfect use, that's intelligent. If someone gives a kid a condom and says, "Just in case..." they're basically saying, "It's okay that you're being irresponsible, just use this."

Maybe you just have crappy teachers in America.

Gandhi>Bush said:

if the kid really wants to have sex. giving them a condom isnt going to change their train of thought and besides, so what if they want to have sex, its their choice.

But shouldn't a teacher encourage a student to make the right choice?

"right choice" is too much of an opinion...

and forcing a teenager into a "right choice" will only make them more intruiged by it's consequences.

i say let them make their own choices.
let them taste those consequences they so badly desired.

I don't know many that would hold the opinion that someone 14 years old that has sex is making "the right choice."

Gandhi>Bush said:
I don't know many that would hold the opinion that someone 14 years old that has sex is making "the right choice."

Except, perhaps, the 14 year olds concerned?

I think sex education should be as complete as possible, and should certainly cover abstinance as a choice.

The trouble is that, at least with British teenagers, the more you want them not to do something, the more they'll be determined to do it. Some 14 year olds will have sex regardless. They should have the chance to do it as safely as possible.

...but in that moment, that 14 year old does think it's the right choice.
that it will do something for them.
children don't need to be scared of sex--they need to understand it.
they need to understand that it won't fill some hole;
it won't make them feel better in the end;
it won't make the world any better.

sex is an escape at that age.
in fact, sex is an escape in most situations.

Naughty Nurse said:
The trouble is that, at least with British teenagers, the more you want them not to do something, the more they'll be determined to do it. Some 14 year olds will have sex regardless. They should have the chance to do it as safely as possible.

I agree that they should be as safe as possible, and I think that's why they should be educated on how to be safe. I think giving them condoms goes beyond that and condones what is not a wise decision.

.dum.spiro. said:
that it will do something for them.
children don't need to be scared of sex--they need to understand it.
they need to understand that it won't fill some hole;

AHEM.

it won't make them feel better in the end;
it won't make the world any better.

sex is an escape at that age.
in fact, sex is an escape in most situations.

I'm all for education. As I said, I think passing out condoms is too far.

I think giving them condoms goes beyond that and condones what is not a wise decision.

for someone who is against abortion...that is something strange to say.

a warning won't stop those hormones.
...a teenager, when lust is strong enough, will have sex.

the last thing they're thinking about is if someone will get pregnant.

don't "AHEM" me, sir.

.dum.spiro. said:
for someone who is against abortion...that is something strange to say.

Why? I want to educate them about safe sex, and I want them to be responsible. I don't want schools encouraging them to condoning sex before they're ready.

a warning won't stop those hormones.
...a teenager, when lust is strong enough, will have sex.

the last thing they're thinking about is if someone will get pregnant.

That's not true.

"OHH MY GOD, I AM SO HOT RIGHT NOW"

"I KNOW ME TOO. LET'S DO IT. I'M INCAPABLE OF OTHER THOUGHT RIGHT NOW."

"Ohhh... my god... what have we done?"

Contrary to popular belief, this is not how teenagers operate and/or think.

.dum.spiro. said:
don't "AHEM" me, sir.

I was just playing around... Inappropriate joke.... "sex won't fill any holes..." just playing around.

Gandhi>Bush said:
I was just playing around... Inappropriate joke.... "sex won't fill any holes..." just playing around.

If it means anything to you Gandhi..."I" caught it...

Teaching them how to use a condom and than not making it available to them seems a little odd to me. Kind of like teaching someone how to use a computer and than not letting them use one. What's the point? I thought the entire point was to prevent teen pregnancies and STDs. If it is, give them condoms. If you have some other point, like riding on your moral high horse saying that "kids these days shouldn't be having sex" for instance, than why not just teach them abstinance. Nobody's going to force a teenager to take a condom, but it should be available. To prevent teen pregnancy.

It should be available. Just not at public schools.

Gandhi>Bush said:
It should be available. Just not at public schools.

What's the point of teaching them safe sex if we don't give them the tools to practice it?

Kelzie said:
What's the point of teaching them safe sex if we don't give them the tools to practice it?

It's not the school's responsibility to provide those tools. It's the student's. The teacher's show them how to be responsible. The teacher's show them what the right choice is and how to make it. Not encouraging them to make it. The right choice is to wait until you are mentally and sexually ready for such a choice.

Condoms aren't all that expensive. And between all the free samples that are offered, condoms aren't hard to come by(pun not intended). Also, most of the girls I know were put on birth control as soon as they turned 18. Out of curiosity, is there a physiological reason that they wait till that age or is that just when most parents decide to start providing it?

Gandhi>Bush said:
It's not the school's responsibility to provide those tools. It's the student's. The teacher's show them how to be responsible. The teacher's show them what the right choice is and how to make it. Not encouraging them to make it. The right choice is to wait until you are mentally and sexually ready for such a choice.

Condoms aren't all that expensive. And between all the free samples that are offered, condoms aren't hard to come by(pun not intended). Also, most of the girls I know were put on birth control as soon as they turned 18. Out of curiosity, is there a physiological reason that they wait till that age or is that just when most parents decide to start providing it?

It is also not the school's job to make kids responsible. In theory, that's something they should be doing themselves. However, the problem is teen pregnancies. And giving them information AND condoms is much better than just giving them information and hoping that they'll buy condoms before they go get drunk at a party. Should they be doing it if they are not mentally ready? No. Should they be doing it without protection? No. But they are anyway. Thinking that if we don't give them access to condoms, their desire for sex will magically vanish is wrong.

I went on birth control at 15. Most of my friends went on about the same time (maybe 16...so long ago...). So I don't know about 18. Seems some parents still might believe that girls aren't having sex until they are legal adults. :roll:

I think alot of people here are a bit confused yes in society we wanna protect the young from growing up to fast.

However people have sex out of lust its natural people have sex because its enjoyable. We cant really stop from happening you cant scare kids about diseases etc research shows shock tactics dont work it switches people off.

Im not sayin free love blah blah blah but you really feel kids learn about sex from school. Even if nobody had ever mentioned it to you soon after puberty you would grow a natural urge to do it.

in my humble opinion the best thing we can do is try and stop the risk of std's by making it less embarrasing to get contraception and putting more money into researching cures.

Having said this a good way would be to enforce the law against say a 18 year old man knowledingly having sex with a 14 year old girl. Girls tend to think they are more mature and go for already sexually active girls a boy her own age will be nervous about therefor i feel they will proberly actually make a more mature decision. Make sense to anyone?

Back
Top Bottom