• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seven stupid things the gov’t spent money on during the shutdown

Newsflash: They HAVE passed a bill that repealed it. Many times.

The Congress repealed the ACA many times.

Ummm... yeah okay.

AND the last thing the house passed DID fund the entire government and merely gave the people a year delay just like businesses. That's fair.

No, what's fair is to fund a perfectly legal function of government.

OR...

To fight it and accept the consequences rather than trying to foist responsibility onto someone else.

Factually False, the House has passed resolutions to fund the government, the Senate won't even take them up. Not both sides actually.

If the situation was reversed, would you be blaming Republicans for not passing CRs that also add strict gun control and massive taxes on carbon emissions?

And you wonder why people are upset with Obamacare. That was an elephant turd the entire country was handed.

Really? Because my premiums are quite reasonable and the coverage is better than I had before.

If the situation was reversed, would you be blaming Republicans for not passing CRs that also add strict gun control and massive taxes on carbon emissions?

Apples and Oranges.

The Congress repealed the ACA many times.

Ummm... yeah okay.

No, what's fair is to fund a perfectly legal function of government.

OR...

To fight it and accept the consequences rather than trying to foist responsibility onto someone else.

Obamacare is not a constitutionally established function of government. Therefore, they are right to not fund it.

Yea, it's weird right? People hate Obamacare, but love the Affordable Care Act. Strange.
And you wonder why people are upset with Obamacare. That was an elephant turd the entire country was handed.

Apples and Oranges.

Not at all. It would never be reasonable to expect Republicans to approve such measures. Nor would it be reasonable to expect Obama to derail Obamacare.

Strange. I saw it as the House sending a funding bill to the Senate that didn't include funding for a law that would allow millions of uninsured Americans access to affordable health insurance. Hmmm.
And the Democrats then shutdown the government and are keeping it shutdown for political purposes.

Not at all. It would never be reasonable to expect Republicans to approve such measures. Nor would it be reasonable to expect Obama to derail Obamacare.

It is reasonable, he has already cherry-picked it himself, which he isn't authorized to do.

Strange. I saw it as the House sending a funding bill to the Senate that didn't include funding for a law that would allow millions of uninsured Americans access to affordable health insurance. Hmmm.

Ah yes, another ignorant statement. It isn't affordable at all, FACT.

Really? Because my premiums are quite reasonable and the coverage is better than I had before.

Then you ought to send a thank you note to the taxpayer who is paying the difference, whether they wanted to or not.

Newsflash: They HAVE passed a bill that repealed it. Many times. AND the last thing the house passed DID fund the entire government and merely gave the people a year delay just like businesses. That's fair.

So we can have this exact same fight again a year from now? Or do we suppose that in one year Republicans won't be trying to repeal it again, and that all they want is to delay it for just a year?

Kicking the can down the road is NOT a solution.

Obama care has already been vetted through both the House and the Senate, then signed by the President. Now the House wants to defund it? Too late.

It's not that simple.

The PPACA was passed with ZERO Republican support in the House and only coerced support in the Senate. Furthermore the SCOTUS ruling declared the individual mandate unconstitutional based on the Commerce Clause and Necessary and Proper Clause. It was only upheld on the basis of the right of Congress to tax but even then only because it hadn't been challenged on those grounds.

The fight over the PPACA is far from over.

So we can have this exact same fight again a year from now? Or do we suppose that in one year Republicans won't be trying to repeal it again, and that all they want is to delay it for just a year?

Kicking the can down the road is NOT a solution.

Tell Obama that. Why did he move the employer mandate? Republicans do it legally, yet he gets to do whatever the heck he wants???

So maybe that is why you are confused. Taxes ARE the funds. Departments that SPEND the TAXES are what need to be funded. Congress is responsible for determining what Departments get funded and how much they get to operate. The only thing they can't do is spend taxes that are dedicated to a specific purpose on something else.

Yea, it's weird right? People hate Obamacare, but love the Affordable Care Act. Strange.

No they just hate the Affordable Care Act less. The one's who are really confused about the whole thing are those who think Obama is a Republican and can't figure out why the Republicans are getting blamed for everything but Obama isn't! :)

Since Obamacare, the insurance part, is suppose to be self funded and reduce the deficit then perhaps it shouldn't need to be funded?

I am no fan of Obamacare, I just want the government working. I think if Obamacare really is the turd that people think it is, then come 2016, the Republicans will have a pretty good case for the Presidency.

Since Obamacare, the insurance part, is suppose to be self funded and reduce the deficit then perhaps it shouldn't need to be funded?

I am no fan of Obamacare, I just want the government working. I think if Obamacare really is the turd that people think it is, then come 2016, the Republicans will have a pretty good case for the Presidency.

Yes but the turd will still be with us and no amount of TP will eliminate a huge Government program no matter how unpopular or unworkable it is. Look how much we have wasted on the War on Drugs or the War on Poverty. These will be considered minor skirmishes compared to the waste of an unworkable national health insurance program.

Tell Obama that. Why did he move the employer mandate? Republicans do it legally, yet he gets to do whatever the heck he wants???

He did not change the law, he directed the justice department to delay enforcement of the law. Granted that's basically the same thing and has the same effect, but its not illegal. Also I didn't see Republicans making a stink about it, and its not as if you or others wanted them to.

Back
Top Bottom