• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Separation of Church and State"

He who made us would have been a pitiful bungler, if He had made the rules of our moral conduct a matter of science." [/FONT]

so morality does not come from science but from our Christian God. 1+1=2

???? probably 90% or more were Christians. 1+1=2

The United States of America was not established as a Christian nation. There was no federally supported religion. There were several states which financially supported specific faiths which meant that people of other faiths were taxed to pay for a church they did not attend. Jefferson, Adams and other Founders were all too aware of the problems created by state-supported religions.

Once again jimmy, you show the readers your near total ignorance of American history.

1 "a wall between church and state"

yes so religions would compete and grow without using govt power to destroy one another. Notice how a liberal will misunderstand everything?

if the sublime doctrines of philanthropism and deism taught us by Jesus of Nazareth, in which all agree, constitute true religion, then, without it, this would be, as you again say, "something not fit to be named even, indeed, a hell."[/FONT]

can you find a more ringing endorsement of Christianity?? 1+1=2

Jefferson, Adams and other Founders were all too aware of the problems created by state-supported religions.

and even more aware of the problems caused by liberal and Roman atheism. Ever wonder why we don't go to the Coliseum to watch people being eaten alive? LIke Jefferson said life would be hell with religion. Liberals simple lack the IQ to appreciate religion.

how is that possible if 90% + were Christian??

Once again jimmy -- I have come to realise just how difficult it is for you to accept any concept, ideas or facts which contradict what you KNOW to be TRUE - but once again here are the facts.

That a nation has a population majority of one faith does not make that nation an X nation, UNLESS that one faith is specifically supported by the government, with all other faiths having their taxes going to support the state religion. Then there is the ever so small matter that there are those who call themselves Christian who refuse to acknowledge that others may also be Christian even when there are doctrinal differences. I once worked with a gentleman who told me one day that Catholics aren't "real Christians". There are 30,000+ groups which call themselves Christian -- WHY are there so many?

and even more aware of the problems caused by liberal and Roman atheism. Ever wonder why we don't go to the Coliseum to watch people being eaten alive? LIke Jefferson said life would be hell with religion. Liberals simple lack the IQ to appreciate religion.

Gahhh!! ROMAN ATHEISM!!! There were very few atheists in the Roman Empire. There were MANY different religious beliefs with MANY deities. There are American liberals who are Christian believers but rather obviously they do not attend the church you go to.

I 'appreciate' religion, I have spent years studying the effects, both positive and negative, of religious beliefs on multiple cultures. Despite the many good deeds the believers have done over the past few millennia, there are just as many evil deeds done in the name of these religious beliefs.

That a nation has a population majority of one faith does not make that nation an X nation, UNLESS that one faith is specifically supported by the government, with all other faiths having their taxes going to support the state religion. ?

Dear, if a nation has 90% Christians it is a Christian nation and may be more so than a nation with 60% Christians or Jews and govt support. 1+1=2

Then there is the ever so small matter that there are those who call themselves Christian who refuse to acknowledge that others may also be Christian even when there are doctrinal differences. I once worked with a gentleman who told me one day that Catholics aren't "real Christians". There are 30,000+ groups which call themselves Christian -- WHY are there so many?

obviously because they differ about how to practice Christianity. A child would know that just not a liberal.

, there are just as many evil deeds done in the name of these religious beliefs.

makes sense so why bother teaching millions the 10 Commandments, math, or that smoking is bad!! See why we say liberalism is based in pure ignorance?

Your definition jimmy and not the one understood by rational adults

so your definition says a country can be 100% Christian but if the govt does not directly support Christianity it is not a Christian Country. It is a Muslim Country. See why we say liberalism is based in pure ignorance?

Which Ten Commandments?

Thou shalt not kill, for example. The school shooters were not Christians. The parents who lost children wish the school shooters had been raised Christian. Do you understand?

How is the person who may be interested in becoming a Christian then supposed to know the 'correct' practice?

usually your parents pick for you. Did you think Girl Scouts introduce people to religion??? See why we say slow??

so your definition says a country can be 100% Christian but if the govt does not directly support Christianity it is not a Christian Country. It is a Muslim Country. See why we say liberalism is based in pure ignorance?

jimmy's words here are as stupid as anything I have ever read. OK, maybe not "stupid" but definitely disconnected from reality.

Thou shalt not kill, for example. The school shooters were not Christians. The parents who lost children wish the school shooters had been raised Christian. Do you understand?

Typical. jimmy fails to answer a simple question, Which Ten Commandments are we supposed to obey? Does any other adult think he may not actually know the Bible all that well?

usually your parents pick for you. Did you think Girl Scouts introduce people to religion??? See why we say slow??

So, once a person begins to study history and sociology they should still listen to, and obey, what their less-educated parents have to say?

Typical. jimmy fails to answer a simple question, Which Ten Commandments are we supposed to obey? Does any other adult think he may not actually know the Bible all that well?

Since jimmy has failed to answer my question, I thought I would provide the Ten Commandments that are called "commandments" in Exodus.

from the NRSV
17 You shall not make cast idols.

18 You shall keep the festival of unleavened bread. Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread, as I commanded you, at the time appointed in the month of Abib; for in the month of Abib you came out from Egypt.

19 All that first opens the womb is mine, all your male[d] livestock, the firstborn of cow and sheep.

20 The firstborn of a donkey you shall redeem with a lamb, or if you will not redeem it you shall break its neck. All the firstborn of your sons you shall redeem. No one shall appear before me empty-handed.

21 Six days you shall work, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even in plowing time and in harvest time you shall rest.

22 You shall observe the festival of weeks, the first fruits of wheat harvest, and the festival of ingathering at the turn of the year.

23 Three times in the year all your males shall appear before the Lord God, the God of Israel.

24 For I will cast out nations before you, and enlarge your borders; no one shall covet your land when you go up to appear before the Lord your God three times in the year.

25 You shall not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven, and the sacrifice of the festival of the passover shall not be left until the morning.

26 The best of the first fruits of your ground you shall bring to the house of the Lord your God. You shall not boil a kid in its mother’s milk.

27 The Lord said to Moses: Write these words; in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel. 28 He was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread nor drank water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

jimmy's words here are as stupid as anything I have ever read. OK, maybe not "stupid" but definitely disconnected from reality.

if stupid why is the liberal so afraid to say why? What does the liberal learn from his fear?

I said "Thou shalt not Kill", for example. If the liberal rejects that as one of the 10 Commandments please try to put into words the nature of the objection.

Back
Top Bottom