• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senior employee's and their fear of young employee's

At work the senior guy who was 65 got injured and said he would retire, after his surgeries he came back and said he wanted to start work again. This is a big problem as I was moved to the senior slot, have performed far better in terms of precision of work, problem solving and far less comeback ratio. Before he said he would retire close to 50% of his work either did not work or came back shortly after with major issues. If people did not know I mostly work with automatic transmissions, as well as automotive, and have done such since I was young.

Well the boss informed me of such, and did not want him back, though she may be legally obligated to hire him back and wants to in that case hire him back and task him for cleanup duties. This guy I saw as a backstabber since day one, always acting friendly but trying to set others up for failure as if he was scared of any competition to his job, and looking at it now it looks like his retirement was a ploy in hopes I would do poorly and they would beg him to come back only to realize they did not, and instead him demanding to be brought back.

In todays world how many have dealt with this, senior employees paranoid of competition, and even going as far as sabotaging any hope of a successor as they fear it would hurt their own security.

One of the most favored aspects of communist unions in the USA is that unions protect the lazy, incompetent and ill-favored worker from competition or termination.

One of the most favored aspects of communist unions in the USA is that unions protect the lazy, incompetent and ill-favored worker from competition or termination.

you seem not to know that under the law, union leadership positions must be filled by democratic elections of the union's membership
that is as opposite from communism one can get
and unions behave as is determined by that democratically elected membership from the rank and file employees

I would equate the world of video/film editing more with transmission repair, there are a lot of similarities, but even in that world, there are old guys who will treat everybody well.
I actually HAVE the reputation as one of those kind souls who will do just that.

As a cinematographer, you're not always necessarily working for a company. As a VIDEOGRAPHER you just might be more often than not.
So for the most part, cinematographers practice a craft.
If they do their job well and have a good reputation, they are afforded some modicum of respect because they're creating the kind of art people will pay to see, and in rare instances, people are especially attracted to a film precisely BECAUSE "Director A" directed it, "Writer B" wrote it and "Director of Photography C" photographed (shot) it.

I do realize that the majority of people mostly recognize a director's name but I bet if I mention Roger Deakins, Michael Ballhaus, Haskell Wexler, László Kovács, Vilmos Zsigmond, Robert Richardson, Michael Slovis, David Mullen, Tak Fujimoto and Gordon Willis, at least some of you are nodding your heads. You know their work.

If you're a videographer it is often a much different world if you're employed in a company or corporate setting.
The youngsters will work for relatively nothing, or close to it, and the folks who have been around and done a great job know their worth. Then it becomes a question of how closely the company subscribes to the Peter Principle and just how many Band-Aids they have handy to paper over the mistakes of youth.
Eventually if the youngsters demonstrate world class talent, they are often going to seek their path as a cinematographer, at least on a part time basis outside of their regular job. It's not always as glamorous as those stellar names I mentioned above but it can be rewarding.

And that is what balances things out. The company knows that they can count on the more experienced folks if it's clear that those folks feel they have found a comfortable niche, and they won't have to invest in constant training of new arrivals.

The first time someone referred to me as a "recovering analog dinosaur" I wasn't sure how to react, until they assured me it was out of respect. "I'm glad you're working for us, a lot of these young guys don't even understand how GENLOCK works."

I'm no Roger Deakins, I assure you. Of course, 99.9999% of us aren't. We wish.
But I have a Cable Ace, four Tellys and an Emmy nom under my belt, so I know I'm pretty good...or was until my eyes started going bad on me. I've been very lucky and very blessed, but I am aware that the business is re-gearing itself more toward expendable personnel at least at the levels below the world of Roger Deakins.

Simply put, now that digital high definiton DSLR cameras have effectively democratized cinematography gear, you no longer have to have hundreds of hours of personal time working with a 250 to 400 thousand dollar Panaflex 35mm motion picture camera anymore, and you can rent your choice of very fine prime lenses if you need to, but a 4500 dollar investment will get you a set of good primes that can do an impressive job in most cases.
And you're not having to pay thousands of dollars for motion picture film anymore.

you seem not to know that under the law, union leadership positions must be filled by democratic elections of the union's membership
that is as opposite from communism one can get
and unions behave as is determined by that democratically elected membership from the rank and file employees

Early communists in America advocated for the formation of labor unions. Labor unions and communism share some of the same ideas and goals. Labor unions have protected the less competent worker from competition from more competent workers, whether people want to believe that or not. Unions have protected sex criminals from termination due to criminal charges. I don't like unions because unions don't like competition.

Early communists in America advocated for the formation of labor unions.
which is why the federal government made it a requirement for unions to be subject to democratic elections, and not subject to an outside influence such as the communists
the employees vote to decide which of their co-workers will become union representatives
the workers' representatives then represent the workers' interests
not unlike democratic elections of political representatives
notice how unlike communism that is

Labor unions and communism share some of the same ideas and goals.
ok. list them for us to see that you are not just making **** up

Labor unions have protected the less competent worker from competition from more competent workers, whether people want to believe that or not.
let's examine what you are wanting us to believe. you pretend that the employees' union, led by fellow employees, wants to protect less competent employees to the detriment of more competent employees
the only way that would result is if the employees decided to elect someone to represent them who would defend the least competent against the most competent. do you really think that is how the leaders are chosen during the election, based on who will best represent the worst employee to the detriment of the best employee
as stupid as that sounds, that is the position you have posted

Unions have protected sex criminals from termination due to criminal charges.
as a union representative, i would do that without hesitation. criminal charges do not equal criminal conviction
i bet you don't know that citizens are innocent until proven guilty; well then, you just learned something today

I don't like unions because unions don't like competition.
elections of union representatives are called races, much like that term is used for the election of political representatives
if you know what a race is, then you should realize it is a competition
and since every union engages in such election races, they are then, by definition, competitive
you have only demonstrated that you know very little factual information about unions

which is why the federal government made it a requirement for unions to be subject to democratic elections, and not subject to an outside influence such as the communists
the employees vote to decide which of their co-workers will become union representatives
the workers' representatives then represent the workers' interests
not unlike democratic elections of political representatives
notice how unlike communism that is

As almost always the federal government did a very bad job of regulating unions well enough to keep murderous mobs from taking them over.

Back
Top Bottom