• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senate passes sweeping bipartisan bill overhauling the US Postal Service

Dodge....um....#4 is it?

So what you're really saying is that the 1% of American people who can't wait until Monday and don't want to pay extra to get it on Saturday, have to be subsidized by the 99% who can or will.
Maybe you should just admit that you don't know about business and fulfillment. That would make this conversation shorter.

You could also add in that you don't even realize the billions if not trillions of dollars that businesses have saved since the beginning.

Admitting that you're out of your league would show some integrity.

If they really wanted to do something for the American people they would cut down the amount of junk mail we receive.
I did mail delivery for a short bit and they were encouraging junk mail at that time. Because as Parrish put it:

Junk mail delivery keeps our mail carriers on the payroll.

You used to be able to tell your mailman that you want to 100% opt out of what they called "Bulk mail". Then as we sorted mail we had a red bar put in your address' slot to remind us that as we sort, not to put "bulk mail" in that address' slot. Give it a shot if you see your mailman. When I moved to where I'm at now they said they can't opt me out like that. Which I think was a lie. You can still go piece by piece and contact the senders to opt out. Unfortunately, a lot of "opt-outs" are timed for a few years and you are put back on their mailings.

They could easily supplant junk mail income by expanding Post office's duties like local banking which they used to do. It is also illegal for a post office to do anything that the congress doesn't sign off on. So going to a PO before Christmas to have a box shipped, it is illegal for them to offer wrapping your gifts. If congress would just loosen the reigns just a bit they could pull in alternate income with such offers.

Last edited:
Maybe you should just admit that you don't know about business and fulfillment. That would make this conversation shorter.

You could also add in that you don't even realize the billions if not trillions of dollars that businesses have saved since the beginning.

FedEx and UPS would also suffer quite a lot if there were no USPS. They work in coordination a lot. USPS can't just up and cut less profitable routes. They have to deliver everywhere. FedEx and UPS take advantage of that in what is called, "first mile, last mile" delivery. They'll have the USPS pick up packages for them where they don't want to go, then at the airport it boards on their planes, then after they pick it up at the other airport, they'll hand it back off to the USPS to take it to the house that isn't on their routes. Conversely, the USPS sometimes rents space on FedEx and UPS jets for cross country deliveries.

FedEx and UPS would also suffer quite a lot if there were no USPS. They work in coordination a lot. USPS can't just up and cut less profitable routes. They have to deliver everywhere. FedEx and UPS take advantage of that in what is called, "first mile, last mile" delivery. They'll have the USPS pick up packages for them where they don't want to go, then at the airport it boards on their planes, then after they pick it up at the other airport, they'll hand it back off to the USPS to take it to the house that isn't on their routes. Conversely, the USPS sometimes rents space on FedEx and UPS jets for cross country deliveries.
Yeah, I honestly just didn't want to take the time to explain basic stuff like that to a guy who obviously is not in business and doesn't understand fulfillment and doesn't understand who-does-what and all the moving pieces.

It was gonna get really tiring really fast.

Yeah, I honestly just didn't want to take the time to explain basic stuff like that to a guy who obviously is not in business and doesn't understand fulfillment and doesn't understand who-does-what and all the moving pieces.

It was gonna get really tiring really fast.
Without USPS, FedEx and UPS would just ignore small town businesses and deliveries. They would be too unprofitable.

I can't understand why the typical hacks are so angry in thread about strengthening the Post Office. Some people are just born perpetually angry I suppose.

Why is this great news?

The big change it seems to be making is that it is transferring the burden of health insurance costs from the agency to the tax payers.

The elephant in the room is that the entire dept is antiquated and really needs to be reformed from the ground up.
They are also paying taxes into Medicare no? I was thinking that was a good thing since that medical insurance plan they allow for federal folks is a HUGE burden, much akin to Senators and politicians getting a better plan than those they advocate the peons get.

I already admitted that I have no idea what you think people can't wait until Monday for (or why they can't pay extra and use another delivery means), or why you think the rest of us should subsidize your impatience.

And I admit that the reason I don't know that is because you keep dodging the question. What is this, the 5th or 6th time?

Isn't that enough "integrity" for you?

Business owners that are open on the weekends?

Many business owners are open on Sundays. Somehow they manage to stay open even though they don't get mail then. What's so special about Sunday?

What does being "open" have to do with needing to receive mail on Saturday?

I already admitted that I have no idea what you think people can't wait until Monday for (or why they can't pay extra and use another delivery means), or why you think the rest of us should subsidize your impatience.

And I admit that the reason I don't know that is because you keep dodging the question. What is this, the 5th or 6th time?

Isn't that enough "integrity" for you?
Don't ever apply for a job at my company.

Many business owners are open on Sundays. Somehow they manage to stay open even though they don't get mail then. What's so special about Sunday?

What does being "open" have to do with needing to receive mail on Saturday?
Was simply giving you one reason. My business would do just fine without Saturday delivery.

Don't ever apply for a job at my company.

You couldn't afford me, nor would I want to work for someone who is incapable of answering simple questions in support of his own arguments and instead just resorts to childish ad homs.

They are also paying taxes into Medicare no? I was thinking that was a good thing since that medical insurance plan they allow for federal folks is a HUGE burden, much akin to Senators and politicians getting a better plan than those they advocate the peons get.
How so?

You couldn't afford me, nor would I want to work for someone who is incapable of answering simple questions in support of his own arguments and instead just resorts to childish ad homs.
That's funny. We can afford just about anybody.

What we won't do (except for in some lower level jobs) is pay for a rookie. We're too mature for that.

That's funny. We can afford just about anybody.

Good for you! What's the top annual compensation you pay the lawyers in your legal department? Asking for a friend.

Good for you! What's the top annual compensation you pay the lawyers in your legal department? Asking for a friend.
So you're a lawyer talking about fulfillment?

So you're a lawyer talking about fulfillment?

I didn't ask about fulfillment. You injected it into the conversation in an obvious ploy to dodge my actual questions and avoid supporting your initial claim.

I didn't ask about fulfillment. You injected it into the conversation in an obvious ploy to dodge my actual questions and avoid supporting your initial claim.
okay, so you're the second guy today who isn't gonna be honest.

bye.

What you are advocating is a form of corporate welfare which is something I thought the left frowned upon?

They should've slashed the USPS leaderships' salaries while they were at it.

But....baby steps.....

They should've slashed the USPS leaderships' salaries while they were at it.

But....baby steps.....
They should slash the leadership salaries of EVERY government organization.

They should slash the leadership salaries of EVERY government organization.
Government leadership positions already pay less than private leadership positions do.
I don't know that slashing the salaries more is a good idea, if we want the best people.

Government leadership positions already pay less than private leadership positions do.
I don't know that slashing the salaries more is a good idea, if we want the best people.
Not at the highest levels. However , I also think that private leadership positions should be limited to a certain multiplexer over the lowest paid employee in the company, including those special benefits such as stock options.

Back
Top Bottom