• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seaside High teacher accidentally fires gun in class, students injured

Nilly

stb
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

A teacher who also serves as a reserve police officer accidentally fired a gun inside a Seaside High School classroom Tuesday, police said, and three students were injured.

Dennis Alexander was teaching a course about gun safety for his Administration of Justice class when his gun went off at 1:20 p.m.

Alexander was pointing his gun at the ceiling when it fired. Pieces of the ceiling fell to the ground.

Whether you are for against gun control in a wider sense, the idea that putting more guns in an environment makes that environment safer is absolutely moronic. People can carry firearms for their jobs, be well trained in them, and still not handle them safely.

This, on top of another accidental discharge in a school in Alexandria, VA:

https://wtop.com/alexandria/2018/03...ntally-fires-weapon-alexandria-middle-school/

Last edited:
It's clear what's needed here: the students need to be armed in order to protect themselves from the armed teachers.

There is at least an 86% chance that this will be the NRA response.

Nobody died. Had some nutjob busted in and started hosing the place down, people would have certainly died.

The dude in the OP made a bonehead mistake by not clearing the pistol, before conducting the class.

Nobody died. Had some nutjob busted in and started hosing the place down, people would have certainly died.

The dude in the OP made a bonehead mistake by not clearing the pistol, before conducting the class.

Did trump rush in to save the day from the Bone Head teacher?.....He will you know...

Whether you are for against gun control in a wider sense, the idea that putting more guns in an environment makes that environment safer is absolutely moronic. People can carry firearms for their jobs, be well trained in them, and still not handle them safely.

https://wtop.com/alexandria/2018/03...ntally-fires-weapon-alexandria-middle-school/

Krikey, I used to live in Seaside and have several acquaintences on the force. A really good, really driven PD in a formerly MUCH rougher town that shouldn't be confused with the Keystone Kops clown circus that is the Sand City PD. Two TOTALLY different things.

Yup, completely moronic. Every bit of fact and statistic shows that. the moment you bring a gun into your home, the odds of you being in a gun related incident goes up significantly.

The odds of a armed teachers gun being used to hurt someone is far greater than the odds of a mass shooting happening at any one particular school, and even greater odds that the armed teacher would be able to stop it

This demonstrates that teachers, even when trained, can have accidents with firearms. Having more firearms in classrooms is a bad idea.

Trained drivers wreck cars. Hold bad drivers accountable, don't outlaw cars.

Trained drivers wreck cars. Hold bad drivers accountable, don't outlaw cars.

I am not talking about outlawing anything. I don't have any problem with them. However, I do not want my child attending a school surrounded by a bunch of teachers with guns. But to your point, I think it would also be a bad idea to allow teachers to drive cars in the classroom.

Yup, completely moronic. Every bit of fact and statistic shows that. the moment you bring a gun into your home, the odds of you being in a gun related incident goes up significantly.

The odds of a armed teachers gun being used to hurt someone is far greater than the odds of a mass shooting happening at any one particular school, and even greater odds that the armed teacher would be able to stop it

All opinion, devoid of any facts or data.

I saw that; just another reason to have guns around schools.

And your thoughtful and brilliant solution is what exactly.

Ask nicely first, can the snark, and I'll answer.

So you have no solution.

I spent 10 years in law enforcement a few years back, and have served on 2 local school boards.
Since you continue to be snarky, you are not worth wasting time with.

I spent 10 years in law enforcement a few years back, and have served on 2 local school boards.
Since you continue to be snarky, you are not worth wasting time with.

So - you have no solution.

****ing idiot...no better than the assholes that go around intentionally shooting people...he endangers all our 2A rights.

****ing idiot...no better than the assholes that go around intentionally shooting people...he endangers all our 2A rights.

Guns need to stay out of schools.

Back
Top Bottom