• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

scampaign

Given the evidence of how Trump has financed his campaign, I can't imagine you could hold any more straws than you are currently clutching.

His campaign is in financial trouble, and he's soliciting donations to bring it back.
The finances he has are in the form of loans to himself, which he plans to pay back from campaign donations.
The money has mainly been used for services from entities owned by Trump

Pretty big straws, it seems to me.

His campaign is in financial trouble, and he's soliciting donations to bring it back.
The finances he has are in the form of loans to himself, which he plans to pay back from campaign donations.
The money has mainly been used for services from entities owned by Trump

Pretty big straws, it seems to me.

LOL.

And people should take Rachel and Redstates word for it.

I would think hand cramps should be setting in soon.

LOL.

And people should take Rachel and Redstates word for it.

I would think hand cramps should be setting in soon.

Do you dispute the three facts I've cited?
I showed that Trump was actively soliciting donations.
Surely, you must remember that he was going to self fund, since he was so rich.

Do you dispute the three facts I've cited?
I showed that Trump was actively soliciting donations.
Surely, you must remember that he was going to self fund, since he was so rich.

I dispute the interpretation that has been offered.

It's already been established people are uninformed on how someone taps into business assets.

It's already been established that people are drawing conclusions based on highly biased claims from dubious sources.

As to soliciting donations, why shouldn't Trump solicit donations at this point? I don't get this part of the spin people are attempting.

I dispute the interpretation that has been offered.

It's already been established people are uninformed on how someone taps into business assets.

It's already been established that people are drawing conclusions based on highly biased claims from dubious sources.

As to soliciting donations, why shouldn't Trump solicit donations at this point? I don't get this part of the spin people are attempting.

Because he said his campaign would be self funded. Clearly, it isn't.

Because he said his campaign would be self funded. Clearly, it isn't.

It would appear in the grand scheme, it has been.

Should a candidate liquidate their entire portfolio, pay $10's, if not, $100's of millions in taxes, simply to bankroll a run for President? If they say they will fund their own campaign, does that preclude them from ever soliciting or accepting donations to it? Should a candidate be required to put their personal estate at risk of liquidation simply to run for office and be competitive?

Sanders ran on small donations claiming he would not be beholding to Super PAC's and other similar big money influences. Hasn't Trump done the same?

The issue being bandied about on this thread is laughable. It's revealing in how dog whistles are designed to attract the unknowing pack. It seems that to members of it, it worked.

This list of Trump campaign payments to Trump companies has been circulating:

ClcQJJfWQAA_kon.jpg

Trump’s Dead Broke Campaign has Been Paying Trump’s Companies (and Trump’s Family) a Lot of Money

Change the first word in all of those payments to "Clinton". Then sit back and imagine how the Trump devotees would howl like scorched cats about it.

But it's Trump so it's OK.

Like him, or hate him, it would be helpful if people had a clue about the laws involved before attempting to draw conclusions.

Apparently, for many, facts are not a requisite when making accusations.

It would appear in the grand scheme, it has been.

No, it would appear that it has not been.

Should a candidate liquidate their entire portfolio, pay $10's, if not, $100's of millions in taxes, simply to bankroll a run for President?

His entire portfolio? I thought he was really, really rich? He should be able to keep most of it and still self fund. When the oligarchy purchases a congressman, they do it with after tax money. What's the difference?

If they say they will fund their own campaign, does that preclude them from ever soliciting or accepting donations to it?

Well, only if he intended to keep his promise. We know how that goes by now.

Should a candidate be required to put their personal estate at risk of liquidation simply to run for office and be competitive?

Again, he's really, really rich. Just a small part of his estate should be enough.

Sanders ran on small donations claiming he would not be beholding to Super PAC's and other similar big money influences. Hasn't Trump done the same?

I don't know. How much has he raised from small donations?

The issue being bandied about on this thread is laughable. It's revealing in how dog whistles are designed to attract the unknowing pack. It seems that to members of it, it worked.

That part doesn't deserve a response.

No, it would appear that it has not been.

His entire portfolio? I thought he was really, really rich? He should be able to keep most of it and still self fund. When the oligarchy purchases a congressman, they do it with after tax money. What's the difference?

Well, only if he intended to keep his promise. We know how that goes by now.

Again, he's really, really rich. Just a small part of his estate should be enough.

I don't know. How much has he raised from small donations?

That part doesn't deserve a response.

It seems it costs over $1 billion to fund a campaign for President. Should a candidate for President be required to be a billionaire before deciding to run?

Trump today said he forgave $50 million in loans to his campaign. I'm not sure how that will be accounted for, nor the tax implications, but it means he just spent $50 million of his own money to fund his campaign. Further, he also addressed the issue of his campaign paying to use his own facilities, explaining he is forced to by law to do so.

Having cut through the rhetoric and false claims in this thread, I'm still left with bewilderment over the straws people are grasping on this topic.

It seems it costs over $1 billion to fund a campaign for President. Should a candidate for President be required to be a billionaire before deciding to run?

Trump today said he forgave $50 million in loans to his campaign. I'm not sure how that will be accounted for, nor the tax implications, but it means he just spent $50 million of his own money to fund his campaign. Further, he also addressed the issue of his campaign paying to use his own facilities, explaining he is forced to by law to do so.

Having cut through the rhetoric and false claims in this thread, I'm still left with bewilderment over the straws people are grasping on this topic.

Should a candidate for President be required to be a billionaire before deciding to run?
Only if he/she claims to be running a self funded campaign.

Fifty million out of a billion is five percent. Did he say he'd self fund 5% of this campaign, or that he would fund his own campaign and not be in the debt of the big donors?

Should a candidate for President be required to be a billionaire before deciding to run?
Only if he/she claims to be running a self funded campaign.

Fifty million out of a billion is five percent. Did he say he'd self fund 5% of this campaign, or that he would fund his own campaign and not be in the debt of the big donors?

He has funded his own campaign. I don't get the beef.

Why do you keep avoiding the bigger picture? Now that he appears to have secured the nomination, people expect him to continue to write the checks? People expect him to fork over $100's of millions of his own money, while his opposition swims in an ocean of special interest money? And he's the bad guy?

He has funded his own campaign. I don't get the beef.

Why do you keep avoiding the bigger picture? Now that he appears to have secured the nomination, people expect him to continue to write the checks? People expect him to fork over $100's of millions of his own money, while his opposition swims in an ocean of special interest money? And he's the bad guy?

The campaign is just getting started.
I don't expect him to fork over hundreds of millions. I never did, despite his declarations. He's no different from any other politician, other than being able to make totally outrageous statements without losing the support of his base.

The campaign is just getting started.
I don't expect him to fork over hundreds of millions. I never did, despite his declarations. He's no different from any other politician, other than being able to make totally outrageous statements without losing the support of his base.

Well, like our brothers and sisters in the UK, voters are pissed off enough that it doesn't seem to matter what he says. Add in the gross misrepresentations of his statement attempted by the media and his detractors, and people clearly are rejecting the status quo.

Says much about the state of the union forced upon the voters who don't seem willing to take it any more.

Well, like our brothers and sisters in the UK, voters are pissed off enough that it doesn't seem to matter what he says. Add in the gross misrepresentations of his statement attempted by the media and his detractors, and people clearly are rejecting the status quo.

Says much about the state of the union forced upon the voters who don't seem willing to take it any more.

The rise of Trump does say a lot about the state of the union and how fed up the voters are with the status quo. Problem is, Trump represents no solutions, but making matters worse. I have enough faith in my fellow Americans to think Trump will never be elected to high office. Heaven help us if that's wrong.

The rise of Trump does say a lot about the state of the union and how fed up the voters are with the status quo. Problem is, Trump represents no solutions, but making matters worse. I have enough faith in my fellow Americans to think Trump will never be elected to high office. Heaven help us if that's wrong.

Well, we know the status quo, as represented by Hilary Clinton, unquestionably represents no solutions. In fact, IMO, represents the worst possible solution. Personally, I fear for the known, more than I do the unknown.

Well, that's one explanation. And no doubt some voters mistakenly believe that Trump's trade wars and massive tax cuts for the rich will somehow make the lives of the middle class better. But we really can't ignore the clear and strong racism that Trump is mining in his public statements. Racist appeals is what brought out the "Leave" vote in Great Britain (soon to be England), and Republicans have tacitly encouraged racists for years. Trump's just more candid about it.

Well, that's one explanation. And no doubt some voters mistakenly believe that Trump's trade wars and massive tax cuts for the rich will somehow make the lives of the middle class better. But we really can't ignore the clear and strong racism that Trump is mining in his public statements. Racist appeals is what brought out the "Leave" vote in Great Britain (soon to be England), and Republicans have tacitly encouraged racists for years. Trump's just more candid about it.

But he just loves Mexicans, don't you know, and they love him. He said so, and it must be true.

But he just loves Mexicans, don't you know, and they love him. He said so, and it must be true.

That part I dont get, Trump has claimed mexicans love him but that a judge should be dismissed from his trial because he is mexican and thus biased against him.

Back
Top Bottom