• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

#sayhisname

I have a couple questions your post brings up:
  1. Have you considered writing national news networks with your concerns, providing ample evidence and examples to get a response?
  2. Are you equally upset with right-wing national news networks for politicizing this event by using it to show how the left-wing and MSM sources do not seem to care?

Were the circumstances of the death of Cannon Hinnant more shocking to you, less shocking or equally shocking as the circumstances surrounding the death of George Floyd or Rayshard Brooks...or even Trayvon Martin?

Yes, people die every day. There are all kinds of reasons that people die too. Some of those deaths are so shocking either because of who died or how they died that the death becomes a news story. In recent years pretty much any death of a black man at the hands of the cops, no matter what the circumstances, has been "newsworthy". The reason such deaths have been deemed newsworthy is because of a political narrative. The deaths of John Lewis and Herman Cain were also newsworthy and were also made so as part of a political narrative, albeit a different one than police shootings.

In the case of Cannon Hinnant the death SHOULD be newsworthy based on the circumstances. It should totally shock the conscience of any human being that a 5 year old would be shot in the head merely because he rode his bike across a neighbor's lawn. That should shock the conscience but, apparently, it doesn't shock the conscience enough to be truly "newsworthy". In the same vein, the death of David Dorn should shock the conscience and be "newsworthy". His death wasn't. Heck, video of the incident was even censored across all sorts of platforms with the express purpose of PREVENTING it from becoming newsworthy. Why would those stories not carry the same weight as the death of George Floyd or Rayshard Brooks?

Why?

There is one reason that really explains the dilemma. The deaths of people like Dorn, Hinnant, Natalie Wallace, Davell Gardener and others might be significant if our goal was to promote a human narrative but the propagandists in the media, solidly in the pockets of the Democrat party, have a political agenda and human interest stories only matter to them if and when they have "crossover" potential to political interests.

I never argued that the young man's murder was not shocking. I called it tragic posts ago. However this entire thread was based on the premise that MSM should have covered it as they do unreasonable killings by Police Officers who are charged with protecting us and that is just not a reasonable expectation. It is in fact a false equivalency that the OP still does not care to address or appears to understand.

On top of that, the OP admitted that he is "just guessing". This entire thread should be relegated to the dust bin.

I never argued that the young man's murder was not shocking. I called it tragic posts ago. However this entire thread was based on the premise that MSM should have covered it as they do unreasonable killings by Police Officers who are charged with protecting us and that is just not a reasonable expectation. It is in fact a false equivalency that the OP still does not care to address or appears to understand.

On top of that, the OP admitted that he is "just guessing". This entire thread should be relegated to the dust bin.

The cops shooting Tamir Rice was that kind of shocking. The cops shooting Rayshard Brooks wasn't shocking at all. The death of George Floyd at the hands of the cops was disappointing and a little bit disturbing but, again, not shocking.

In the cases of Brooks, Floyd, Garner, Brown, Martin and a bunch of others the cops were engaging them for cause. There was a reason the cops (or Zimmerman) engaged in a fashion that caused death. There was no reason for anyone to get physical with, much less kill, Hinnant.

Were the circumstances of the death of Cannon Hinnant more shocking to you, less shocking or equally shocking as the circumstances surrounding the death of George Floyd or Rayshard Brooks...or even Trayvon Martin?

I would say about as shocking as what I saw with George Floyd due to it being a child but not seeing it firsthand, less shocking than Rayshard Brooks, and I did not know about Trayvon Martin when it occurred so will not comment on that.

Would you care to answer my questions now?

The cops shooting Tamir Rice was that kind of shocking. The cops shooting Rayshard Brooks wasn't shocking at all. The death of George Floyd at the hands of the cops was disappointing and a little bit disturbing but, again, not shocking.

In the cases of Brooks, Floyd, Garner, Brown, Martin and a bunch of others the cops were engaging them for cause. There was a reason the cops (or Zimmerman) engaged in a fashion that caused death. There was no reason for anyone to get physical with, much less kill, Hinnant.

So there is another false equivalency. You seem to be implying that the killing of Hinnant was the product of a sick mind. I am inclined to agree with you.

If Floyd's death was not the product of a sick mind that leaves few options.....a sick system of police departments that no longer sees citizens as lives to protect but as enemies to kill comes to mind. Back to the premise from the OP....which one do you think will draw more attention from MSM, the result of a sick mind regardless of the age of innocence of the victim or a sick system? Three other cops were there with Floyd's killer and none of them did a damned thing that mattered.

I would say about as shocking as what I saw with George Floyd due to it being a child but not seeing it firsthand, less shocking than Rayshard Brooks, and I did not know about Trayvon Martin when it occurred so will not comment on that.

Would you care to answer my questions now?

Sure.

1 - No
2 - No

Back
Top Bottom