• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Saudi, Emirati Leaders Decline Calls With Biden During Ukraine Crisis

Too bad we never invested in alternative energies when gas was cheap before war and conflict
Not since 1973 has this been more obvious, but whether the lesson is better learned this time around is a whole other can of worms.

Now I suppose you'll support killing people in Yemen to open the oil spigots.
Isn't that what you're implying you want by posting this?

Not since 1973 has this been more obvious, but whether the lesson is better learned this time around is a whole other can of worms.

I remember sitting in an odd/even gas like thinking just that.

The US had just capped a decade long research and investment effort that had put a man on the moon.

It seemed to me that it would be child’s play for the US to achieve total energy independence if it decided to make the effort.

But that did not happen..

Indeed, people who bought Buick Electras and Mercury Marquis in 1974, when dealers couldn’t give then away, we’re trading them in for what they paid for them in 1977.

The pattern repeated itself in 1979, and again several times over, whenever there was a spike in oil prices.

This time is different.

Before, there was no reasonable substitute for fossil fuels, especially for transportation.

This is no long true.

There is little doubt that practical affordable electric cars and trucks are just around the corner. This crisis will accelerate public interest in them, as well, just at the time that the charging infrastructure is starting to get built out, and issues like range anxiety are being overcome.

The current trickle of sales will become a stream, and when critical mass is reached, turn into a flood.

This will happen much sooner than it would have otherwise.

Europe is going to stampede toward renewables.

I suspect that this will be the last oil war.

The developed world is done with being hostage to unstable and unreliable oil states and oil companies.

And if renewable and battery technology does mature as fast as it is expected to, the third world won’t ever need to build the network of centralized power plants and high tension distribution networks that were built in the last century. In the same way they bypassed the need for land line phone networks.

This is why the oil states and the frackers are not increasing production. This is probably one of the last major oil spikes. They all know that oil prices will go right back down, and stay that way as demand for oil for gasoline starts to drop. This is their last chance to make windfall profits.

If the addled retards handlers would just revert back to President Trumps energy independence policies, they wouldn't have to drag the gimp across the globe to beg Iraq, Iran, North Korea, Cuba and Venezuela to produce more.

We are in a better position than in the 70's

We are not quite as dependent on foreign sources, but there is a long way to go.

If the addled retards handlers would just revert back to President Trumps energy independence policies, they wouldn't have to drag the gimp across the globe to beg Iraq, Iran, North Korea, Cuba and Venezuela to produce more.
Odd that we were importing more Russian oil during that time, no?

I remember sitting in an odd/even gas like thinking just that.

The US had just capped a decade long research and investment effort that had put a man on the moon.

It seemed to me that it would be child’s play for the US to achieve total energy independence if it decided to make the effort.

But that did not happen..

Indeed, people who bought Buick Electras and Mercury Marquis in 1974, when dealers couldn’t give then away, we’re trading them in for what they paid for them in 1977.

The pattern repeated itself in 1979, and again several times over, whenever there was a spike in oil prices.

This time is different.

Before, there was no reasonable substitute for fossil fuels, especially for transportation.

This is no long true.

There is little doubt that practical affordable electric cars and trucks are just around the corner. This crisis will accelerate public interest in them, as well, just at the time that the charging infrastructure is starting to get built out, and issues like range anxiety are being overcome.

The current trickle of sales will become a stream, and when critical mass is reached, turn into a flood.

This will happen much sooner than it would have otherwise.

Europe is going to stampede toward renewables.

I suspect that this will be the last oil war.

The developed world is done with being hostage to unstable and unreliable oil states and oil companies.

And if renewable and battery technology does mature as fast as it is expected to, the third world won’t ever need to build the network of centralized power plants and high tension distribution networks that were built in the last century. In the same way they bypassed the need for land line phone networks.

This is why the oil states and the frackers are not increasing production. This is probably one of the last major oil spikes. They all know that oil prices will go right back down, and stay that way as demand for oil for gasoline starts to drop. This is their last chance to make windfall profits.
The other side of this are products created from petroleum as well, so it's quite a big undertaking in terms of fuel, plastics, etc. but something that we need to think about; as well as thinking of whatever replaces fossil fuels from a resiliency perspective.

Odd that we were importing more Russian oil during that time, no?
We were exporting more than we imported. Even Saudi Arabia imports oil.

We were exporting more than we imported. Even Saudi Arabia imports oil.
That's not the point though. Imports of Russian oil increased during that time period, and making more money for Russia whom the former president was warning Europe about.

That's not the point though. Imports of Russian oil increased during that time period, and making more money for Russia whom the former president was warning Europe about.
We were not reliant on Russian oil but Europe was making themselves dependent on it and Trump warned them, specifically Germany, about it

I can't imagine being so invested in hating someone for no reason other than because the media sources I trust for no reason told me to. Seems tiring.

I can't imagine being so invested in hating someone for no reason other than because the media sources I trust for no reason told me to. Seems tiring.

Self unaware post of the year - this poster hates on command.

If the ME countries are unreliable, that's just another reason we need to pivot to renewables to have energy on our terms.

Trump worshippers - “Haha! Brandon got stiffed by the Saudis while talking about petroleum. What a loser!”

Also Trump worshippers - 😭😭 Gas prices are so high, why isn’t Biden doing anything to help? 😭😭
Yup, they are nothing but trolls, partisan hack trolls with no facts. And the rest fo the republicans dont' say a damn thing about or pander to these people, so they own this idiocy.

If the ME countries are unreliable, that's just another reason we need to pivot to renewables to have energy on our terms.

That's brilliant. The only problem is we have none to pivot to. By all means, keep developing new tech that doesn't create an environmental disaster of another type. But until then we need energy to fuel transportation and heat homes. That's just a fact.

That's brilliant. The only problem is we have none to pivot to. By all means, keep developing new tech that doesn't create an environmental disaster of another type. But until then we need energy to fuel transportation and heat homes. That's just a fact.
Today I learned that in Schism's world, windmills and other technologies don't actually exist.

We were not reliant on Russian oil but Europe was making themselves dependent on it and Trump warned them, specifically Germany, about it
But the import of Russian oil increased despite the concerns expressed to Europe. Why?

That's fine long term but we're decades away from renewables being a solution. In the meantime we're looking at near term energy shortages which will likely increase energy costs dramatically. This in turn will likely cause very high spikes on inflation and a contraction of GDP. The amount of economic damage we're staring at could lead to a worldwide recession as well as higher rates of hunger and starvation in poorer countries.

Even if the US sourced both Iranian and Venezuelan oil, it still wouldn't make up for the shortages for Russian oil. Russia exports around 7 million barrels a day. Best case for Iran is upping their exports to half a million barrels per day in 6 months. Venzuela even less.

So yes renewables should be our long term strategy and shutting off Russia oil exports was the right thing to do. Just be prepared as we're just in the first inning of the coming economic pain and it might get very ugly.

Started investing a little in XLE, MOS and NTR to hedge against inflation. Not intended to be investment advice.

That's fine long term but we're decades away from renewables being a solution. In the meantime we're looking at near term energy shortages which will likely increase energy costs dramatically. This in turn will likely cause very high spikes on inflation and a contraction of GDP. The amount of economic damage we're staring at could lead to a worldwide recession as well as higher rates of hunger and starvation in poorer countries.

Even if the US sourced both Iranian and Venezuelan oil, it still wouldn't make up for the shortages for Russian oil. Russia exports around 7 million barrels a day. Best case for Iran is upping their exports to half a million barrels per day in 6 months. Venzuela even less.

So yes renewables should be our long term strategy and shutting off Russia oil exports was the right thing to do. Just be prepared as we're just in the first inning of the coming economic pain and it might get very ugly.

Started investing a little in XLE, MOS and NTR to hedge against inflation. Not intended to be investment advice.
short term: issue DPA order to get us through this war
long term: renewables moon shot

short term: issue DPA order to get us through this war
long term: renewables moon shot

I don't belive there's any DPA order that would do much in the next 12-18 months to combat inflation or our energy shortage.

Schism, when you're starting a thread with an article, it always helps to read it first.

For instance, here's part of that article:

And:

So. They want us to keep enabling their support of the Yemen civil war and give legal immunity to their prince.

Sounds like Saudi Arabia is playing childish games with an administration that's not taking their shit like the last administration did.

Speaking of the last administration, Biden is a big boy. He's not going to go on a rage-filled tweetstorm just because the Saudis wouldn't take his call.

Unfortunately, the price to be paid for oil security isn't on our terms. For the time being Biden would be wise to listen and provide a measure of extra support in Yemen, and zero opposition to their nuclear efforts. Can't do much about the murdering Prince, state laws are what they are.

If that is not enough for the Saudi's, remind them we can do a hell of a lot less in Yemen as well.

I don't belive there's any DPA order that would do much in the next 12-18 months to combat inflation or our energy shortage.
Then it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom