• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Saudi Arabia to Participate in Miss Universe Pageant for The First Time

sanman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
For the first time, Saudi Arabia will be sending a contestant to the Miss Universe pageant competition - a sign the country may be turning over a new leaf:

Saudi Arabia to Participate in Miss Universe Pageant for The First Time​

Rumy Alqahtani, a 27-year-old Riyadh-born model, will be representing Saudi Arabia at pageant

Saudi Arabia will participate in Miss Universe 2024 for the first time in the pageant’s history.

Rumy Alqahtani, a 27-year-old Riyadh-born model and content creator, will represent Saudi Arabia at the pageant.

“I am honoured to participate in the Miss Universe 2024 competition. This marks the first participation of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in the Miss Universe pageant,” Alqahtani posted on her Instagram account.

There are lot's of things that SA could probably do regarding human rights. I wouldn't have put sending a contestant to a beauty pageant very high up the list myself!

That's an interesting way for a country to suggest they are supporting women's rights...

There are lot's of things that SA could probably do regarding human rights. I wouldn't have put sending a contestant to a beauty pageant very high up the list myself!

Laws relating to women have been liberalizing under MBS. Women are now allowed to drive, can now play in professional sports, and their freedoms have increased relative to the past.
I don't think Saudi can be reformed in a day, but I think it's good that they're at least moving away from the past.
Perfect is the Enemy of the Good.

Will Afghanistan also take part ….. with woman in a burka?

Saudi's are trying to boost their social image lately with really odd choices to put their governments funds in. They're also building a Dragon Ball theme park for some reason. It's really strange.

Saudi's are trying to boost their social image lately with really odd choices to put their governments funds in. They're also building a Dragon Ball theme park for some reason. It's really strange.
KSA is trying to buy their way into everything, very reminiscent of an orange hued politician…..money won’t buy class.

KSA is trying to buy their way into everything, very reminiscent of an orange hued politician…..money won’t buy class.

They're trying to strengthen and diversify their economy. They're trying to make a future for themselves for a post-carbon world. Can't really criticize them on that, if it helps everyone.

I think that if Saudi Arabia, as the central holy land for all Muslims, can liberalize, then it will help get the rest of the Muslim world to liberalize and modernize
Once Saudi becomes more progressive, then the others will no longer have any excuse to stay backward and regressive.

I think that if Saudi Arabia, as the central holy land for all Muslims, can liberalize, then it will help get the rest of the Muslim world to liberalize and modernize
Once Saudi becomes more progressive, then the others will no longer have any excuse to stay backward and regressive.

Not going to happen..

Sure they will have excuses, and it's mainly that others are forcing them to change their valued traditions which means an end to their culture. That will likely prime the path for a "Make Saudi Great Again" candidate. Sound familiar?
:)

I for one hope this works out, and that women progress there. Women have such struggles, everywhere, it's just getting so tiring having men influencing the decisions you can make.

She's competed in pagents around the word for some time now.

Not going to happen..
I'm sure that the corrupt establishment in Washington won't want it to happen, because they profit from milking some people's backwardness, even while promoting crazy wokeness in others.
Creating opposite extremes, and playing them both off against the middle.

Sure they will have excuses, and it's mainly that others are forcing them to change their valued traditions which means an end to their culture. That will likely prime the path for a "Make Saudi Great Again" candidate. Sound familiar?
:)
Saudi is a wealthy country and has a lot of resources to progress itself. The main ones screeching against MBS are the Muslim conservatives around the world, who are afraid to lose their precious bastion of medievalism (which the US has helped preserve), lest they lose their own conservative bastions at home where they live.

Well…if you want a shot at hosting the World Cup, you gotta make things look all nice and wonderful, welcoming and good, right?

Back
Top Bottom