• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Satanic temple installs display at Illinois Capitol

are you using non-theists the same way as atheists? so they are not Satanists, but call themselves the Satanic Temple? :rolleyes:

You do know that even Laveyan Satanists don’t actually believe in Satan, right?

OK so this thing is symbolic of a no gods belief system? is it a religion then?
so WHAT is this thing. demons and gods generally are co-existing entities in a religion

They don’t believe in demons.

So far here today, I've heard Ben Shapiro say that Mr. Potter was the hero of It's A Wonderful Life and now creeps in Illinois displaying their demon baby in a manger on Christmas. I can be angry, I think. No one has to tolerate plain old despicable behavior.

But I'm just in a grumpy mood.

Easy solution: don’t have any religious displays at all in government offices.

I don't doubt you're right, but I imagine LaVey had influenced them. I think it was him that wrote the Satanic Bible. Theism isn't just about a specific god. People can and do devote themselves to Satan as a god.

You’ve never read the Satanic Bible, have you? Because no where in it does it say anything about Satan being a god.

you get a permit like any other public space- it cant be denied because of religious affiliation
But these public buildings have a purpose, or purposes, none of which is providing space for every Tom Dick, And Harry's religious displays.

Of course if they allow one they mist allow all, we agree on that part.

But I don't think they should allow any. The 1st doesn't guarantee the right to put religious displays in public buildings. The purpose of those buildings, and those employees is to cary out their business, court busines, permit businus, tax business, whatever, not to run a venue for religious displays.

But these public buildings have a purpose, or purposes, none of which is providing space for every Tom Dick, And Harry's religious displays.

Of course if they allow one they mist allow all, we agree on that part.

But I don't think they should allow any. The 1st doesn't guarantee the right to put religious displays in public buildings. The purpose of those buildings, and those employees is to cary out their business, court busines, permit businus, tax business, whatever, not to run a venue for religious displays.

lots of things are "symbolic" -symbolic of what, and why the display?

For Satanists, Baphomet statues are symbolic of religious freedom.

Why display Christian nativity scenes in government offices?

For Satanists, Baphomet statues are symbolic of religious freedom.

Why display Christian nativity scenes in government offices?
you are telling me the function of the display. that's obvious -why the goat specifically?
is it just a goat for the hell of it?
Do I need to explain the judeo-Christian nature of our culture?

Or Americans exercising their constitutional rights.

Yeah, maybe.

I kinda think we oughtta back off the whole nativity thing crap. Christmas is both a religious and a secular holiday. I don't see a nativity scene as being that much different from putting up trees, lights, jack-o-lanterns, turkeys, or whatever.

why the goat specifically?
I doubt this will ease your consternation about the statue but it explains the symbolism. https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33682878

There is little I could find on why christianity portrays satan as a goat other than this
"This description ties the Old Testament sacrificial system with the book of Revelation (explaining end time events). I will try to be brief.
Remember that in the New Testament Christ's death was a fulfillment of the old system for atonement; “a shadow of things to come". You will find the following explained further in the book of Hebrews.
In the Old Testament, once a year, all of the Israelites would prepare themselves, cleanse themselves, for the Day of Attonement. A sacrifice was made and (in the New Testament book of Hebrews it is called a copy of the sanctuary in heaven) the high priest would enter into the Holy of Holies and sprinkle blood from the sacrifice onto the “Mercy Seat". The Mercy Seat is the lid of the Ark of The Covenant in which the Ten Commandments were kept. Why?
“Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.” - 1 John 3:4.
See, the definition of sin is not vague. It is breaking (transgression) of God's law…the 10 Commandments. Sprinkling blood on the Mercy Seat right above those tablets is the sacrifice for sin (represented Christ's coming atonement). “The wages of sin is death".(Remember that Jesus is the lamb without blemish that was sacrificed).
Now, after the High Priest did this, he would then go out and confess Israel's sins while laying his hand upon a goat. The goat, or as the Bible called it, the “scapegoat" (sound familiar?) was then led to wander in the wilderness. In the book of Revelation, the Dragon (Satan)… (interlude)…
“And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.” - Revelation 12:9
…is left to wander the desolate wilderness for a thousand years, then the second resurrection: “And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. 2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.” - Revelation 20:3,4.
After the thousand years, the wicked dead are raised… “But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished.” - Revelation 20:5.
This is why Satan is portrayed as having goat features. He is the scapegoat. Our sins are paid for by Christ's death…but the one co-responsible who led Adam and Eve into sin must bare them as the scapegoat did. His punishment is to bear all the sins and grief and misery and pain and fear and loneliness, etc., that every person that ever lived in this world suffered AND that Christ bore on the cross."

and this

Last edited:
you are telling me the function of the display. that's obvious -why the goat specifically?
is it just a goat for the hell of it?
Do I need to explain the judeo-Christian nature of our culture?

Why a fir tree specifically for Christmas? Why not a palm? Why not a jalapeño plant? Why does it matter?

Yes, considering a significant portion of our culture is neither Jewish nor Christian and our culture also includes a government that is not supposed to have an official religion, de facto or de jure.

You’ve never read the Satanic Bible, have you? Because no where in it does it say anything about Satan being a god.
I read it in the early seventies. It's irrelevant if it specifically makes the claim and not particularly noteworthy if satanists deny Satan an exalted status. Anything worshipped can be considered a god; even objects.

I doubt this will ease your consternation about the statue but it explains the symbolism. https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33682878

There is little I could find on why christianity portrays satan as a goat other than this
This description ties the Old Testament sacrificial system with the book of Revelation (explaining end time events). I will try to be brief.
Remember that in the New Testament Christ's death was a fulfillment of the old system for atonement; “a shadow of things to come". You will find the following explained further in the book of Hebrews.
In the Old Testament, once a year, all of the Israelites would prepare themselves, cleanse themselves, for the Day of Attonement. A sacrifice was made and (in the New Testament book of Hebrews it is called a copy of the sanctuary in heaven) the high priest would enter into the Holy of Holies and sprinkle blood from the sacrifice onto the “Mercy Seat". The Mercy Seat is the lid of the Ark of The Covenant in which the Ten Commandments were kept. Why?
“Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.” - 1 John 3:4.
See, the definition of sin is not vague. It is breaking (transgression) of God's law…the 10 Commandments. Sprinkling blood on the Mercy Seat right above those tablets is the sacrifice for sin (represented Christ's coming atonement). “The wages of sin is death".(Remember that Jesus is the lamb without blemish that was sacrificed).
Now, after the High Priest did this, he would then go out and confess Israel's sins while laying his hand upon a goat. The goat, or as the Bible called it, the “scapegoat" (sound familiar?) was then led to wander in the wilderness. In the book of Revelation, the Dragon (Satan)… (interlude)…
“And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.” - Revelation 12:9
…is left to wander the desolate wilderness for a thousand years, then the second resurrection: “And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. 2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.” - Revelation 20:3,4.
After the thousand years, the wicked dead are raised… “But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished.” - Revelation 20:5.
This is why Satan is portrayed as having goat features. He is the scapegoat. Our sins are paid for by Christ's death…but the one co-responsible who led Adam and Eve into sin must bare them as the scapegoat did. His punishment is to bear all the sins and grief and misery and pain and fear and loneliness, etc., that every person that ever lived in this world suffered AND that Christ bore on the cross.

and this
thanks for that windy but elucid response. so the goat represents satan. and the satanic temple is honoring satan

Goats are also used to illustrate undesirable qualities in wicked humans...the left being an unfavored position...

"And he will put the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left." Matthew 25:33

So, a goat is most fitting...

I read it in the early seventies. It's irrelevant if it specifically makes the claim and not particularly noteworthy if satanists deny Satan an exalted status. Anything worshipped can be considered a god; even objects.

Satanists deny Satan even exists as anything other than a metaphor/symbol.

Why a fir tree specifically for Christmas? Why not a palm? Why not a jalapeño plant? Why does it matter?

Yes, considering a significant portion of our culture is neither Jewish nor Christian and our culture also includes a government that is not supposed to have an official religion, de facto or de jure.
fir tree goes back to Roman times (at least)
The Establishmentt Clause is a lot more complex then "no religious displays" in fact it carves out specific accomodations for such

I haven't thought about this organization in years. Lavey must be dead by now. I wonder if he holds a special place in Hell next to his god.
You obviously know nothing about Lavey and just decided to make smart comment, that wasn't.

Back
Top Bottom