• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sanjay Gupta Admits He Was Wrong On Pot

Geoist

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Takes a real man to admit when he's wrong, especially in the public spotlight.

CNN's chief medical expert Sanjay Gupta announced Wednesday night that he has reversed his blanket opposition to marijuana use.

Speaking to Piers Morgan, Gupta, who has a documentary on weed airing on Sunday, said he had previously helped to "mislead" the American public about the effects of the drug.

"I have apologized for some of the earlier reporting because I think, you know, we've been terribly and systematically misled in this country for some time," he said. "And I did part of that misleading."

Dr. Sanjay Gupta: Why I changed my mind on weed - CNN.com

Well, it still is shown to make darkies think they're as good as white people.

The federal government must think that's a dangerous thing, or they wouldn't classify pot as more dangerous than cocaine.

Sanjay Gupta has a PhD and is humble. We need more people like him.

Sanjay just went up a few notches in my regard for him. I had been neutral before, but must admire the man for his honest statement, especially that part in which he acknowledges his role in having misinformed the public. :)

I suspect a lot of people in authoritative positions would have come forth admitting they knew very little what they were talking about, in regard to marijuana, had it been not so politically incorrect to do so.

Now that pot usage is almost as common as drinking Coca Cola in our society, enjoying widespread tolerance and even total acceptance, all of a sudden it's, "well, maybe pot isn't that bad after all."

Well, I got news for these newly enlightened dumbasses. We've been telling you for 40 goddamn years that pot isn't this evil devil weed these whacko, "stuck-in-the-50's," people have been lying about for decades. The people who change their minds, based on what they think people will think of them, rather than factual reality, have already shown their true colors. It matters not, if all of a sudden, they discover pot isn't so bad. They could have listened years ago. They are still dumbasses.

Just my two-cents.

I hear ya, Captain America! :cool:

Sanjay just went up a few notches in my regard for him. I had been neutral before, but must admire the man for his honest statement, especially that part in which he acknowledges his role in having misinformed the public. :)

That's okay because he just lost all respect and professional standing in my mind. A real man understands that Morality is more important any medical or scientific testing. It's just that simple.

That's okay because he just lost all respect and professional standing in my mind. A real man understands that Morality is more important any medical or scientific testing. It's just that simple.

Morality?

You kid yourself.

Morality? You kid yourself.

Not in the least. This country and western society in general has spent the last two centuries trying to "progress" beyond morality and values. When will you folks learn - Morality and Values will ALWAYS exist, no matter how much you try to ignore them?

That's okay because he just lost all respect and professional standing in my mind.

You only have respect for authoritarian figures anyways.

I suspect a lot of people in authoritative positions would have come forth admitting they knew very little what they were talking about, in regard to marijuana, had it been not so politically incorrect to do so.

Now that pot usage is almost as common as drinking Coca Cola in our society, enjoying widespread tolerance and even total acceptance, all of a sudden it's, "well, maybe pot isn't that bad after all."

Well, I got news for these newly enlightened dumbasses. We've been telling you for 40 goddamn years that pot isn't this evil devil weed these whacko, "stuck-in-the-50's," people have been lying about for decades. The people who change their minds, based on what they think people will think of them, rather than factual reality, have already shown their true colors. It matters not, if all of a sudden, they discover pot isn't so bad. They could have listened years ago. They are still dumbasses.

Just my two-cents.

I think this is a testament to how powerful propaganda can be. Even the 'smartest' of men can be fooled by nonsense.

Not in the least. This country and western society in general has spent the last two centuries trying to "progress" beyond morality and values. When will you folks learn - Morality and Values will ALWAYS exist, no matter how much you try to ignore them?

You're right, because freeing the slaves and letting women vote had nothing to do with morality and values. :roll:

You're right, because freeing the slaves and letting women vote had nothing to do with morality and values. :roll:

Of course they were related to volumes and morals. One was the right decision and the other was not. I'll leave you to figure out which is which.

I've read enough of your posts here to understand your moral compass is spinning. Your moral standards are very close to those of John Yoo and George W. Bush or Dick Cheney--extremely low.

Science is then the antithesis of morality for morality is subjective and cannot be quantified.

Of course they were related to volumes and morals. One was the right decision and the other was not. I'll leave you to figure out which is which.

Tigger is in favor of slavery! (pass it on).

If you seriously think giving women the right to vote, however belatedly it was done, was the wrong decision, then that does fit with the philosophy you've posted before on this forum.

Takes a real man to admit when he's wrong, especially in the public spotlight.

CNN's chief medical expert Sanjay Gupta announced Wednesday night that he has reversed his blanket opposition to marijuana use.

Speaking to Piers Morgan, Gupta, who has a documentary on weed airing on Sunday, said he had previously helped to "mislead" the American public about the effects of the drug.

"I have apologized for some of the earlier reporting because I think, you know, we've been terribly and systematically misled in this country for some time," he said. "And I did part of that misleading."

Dr. Sanjay Gupta: Why I changed my mind on weed - CNN.com

Can they put it in a pill or other form that doesn't require others to breathe second hand smoke?

I was asked to sign a petition yesterday to get medical ganja on the ballot. I'm still a little conflicted. Maybe after tonight's CNN special.

I've read enough of your posts here to understand your moral compass is spinning. Your moral standards are very close to those of John Yoo and George W. Bush or Dick Cheney--extremely low.

Actually I have no respect for Mr. Bush or Mr. Cheney. I can't say I'm familiar with Mr. Yoo. Neither Mr. Bush nor Mr. Cheney have any more morals or values than any other US politician - namely NONE.

Science is then the antithesis of morality for morality is subjective and cannot be quantified.

Science is not necessarily the antithesis, but it has most definitely been used in the last two centuries as a crutch by those who seek to remove the most basic tenants of morality and values from society. This has placed morality and science at odds with each other when in fact real science (not what we see often these days) tends to support morality and values far more often than it opposes them.

Tigger is in favor of slavery! (pass it on).

If you seriously think giving women the right to vote, however belatedly it was done, was the wrong decision, then that does fit with the philosophy you've posted before on this forum.

I am not in favor of slavery based on skin color or ethnicity. In other cases there may be a place for it.

I am totally serious when I say taht women should never have been given the right to vote or to be involved in the political process in any way.

If something ends up being non harmful and non detrimenetal to people it stops being not moral. Also taking drugs is NEVER immoral unless it hurts other people.

If something ends up being non harmful and non detrimenetal to people it stops being not moral. Also taking drugs is NEVER immoral unless it hurts other people.

I would not suggest that pot is either non-harmful or non-detrimental to people. I would also suggest that ANYTHING which does damage to the soul, as the use of pot does, is ALWAYS immoral.

I would not suggest that pot is either non-harmful or non-detrimental to people. I would also suggest that ANYTHING which does damage to the soul, as the use of pot does, is ALWAYS immoral.

Except it doesn't do damage to the soul ...

Except it doesn't do damage to the soul ...

In fact the majority of the damage it does is to the soul, even more than what it does to the body. One cannot ingest or otherwise use a mind-altering substance without doing damage to the soul.

In fact the majority of the damage it does is to the soul, even more than what it does to the body. One cannot ingest or otherwise use a mind-altering substance without doing damage to the soul.

And you're free to your OPINION. However, your OPINION is just that, and OPINION.

Back
Top Bottom