• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sanctions. Effective or counterproductive

Biden's sanctions have little effect on the price of oil. Oil prices are rising because of the potential for the Russian oil supply to lessen or cease. So, the sanctions are not contributing to inflation.

Biden's sanctions will have little effect on the U.S. economy. The sanctions are, in effect, a financial war of attrition, but it's not a matter of who will suffer the most, as we won't suffer significantly from the sanctions - Russia will.
Sanctions are on Russia oil which will lessen supply and increase price at the pump

So, your solution is to sit and do zero? When he invades Poland also do zero?
WTF?
Effectively sanctions are doing nothing. I’d lean towards writing Ukraine off but drastically building our forces in surrounding nato countries and make it clear we have a line in the sand.

If you want to blame anyone for his move by Putin, blame Germany-
How about we all agree that Putin is to blame for Putin's choice to invade Ukraine.

He primarily wants two things
- destroy Ukraine's military capability
- retribution on the 2014 revolution leaders/key people

This has nothing to do with Biden.

Last edited:
Sanctions didn’t stop Putin and historically have a very poor record of success so I have to wonder if imposing them on Russia is cutting off our nose to spite our face. Gas is already high and will go higher which will drag down our economy and make inflation even worse and the Dow is crashing.
Can someone tell me exactly why these Biden sanctions are going to do anything but hurt us as much or more than they hurt Putin?
For once I’m actually indecisive on something and could be swayed either way with the right argument.
As we have lost much of our influence in the Middle East as Russia has expanded greatly (Thanks Donny, you ****in idiot) , we had better hope he does not influence other large supplies. I hear Venezuela is also a large supplier. Are we friendly with them, maybe?

Wops, Putin, as it turns out, seems to have better relationships with all oil rich countries. It's as if he has had a strategy right along, isn't it?

Russia has big money problems. These will compound it, we will now wait to see what part China may or may not play.
Allegedly Russia is sitting on over $650 billion which is not a lot of money once a nation has decided to start a war.

And we should not buy anymore oil from Russia ever again. 16 Million barrels a month from Russia we don't need. Putin has never been necessarily friendly to the USA.

Of course as we know I am curious about the Trump/Putin relationship and what Trump may have passed on to Putin ......... I would hope Trump would not throw America under the bus...... then again I believe he is in debt to the Russian mob for a bailout concerning one of his hotels.

As we have lost much of our influence in the Middle East as Russia has expanded greatly (Thanks Donny, you ****in idiot) , we had better hope he does not influence other large supplies. I hear Venezuela is also a large supplier. Are we friendly with them, maybe?

Wops, Putin, as it turns out, seems to have better relationships with all oil rich countries. It's as if he has had a strategy right along, isn't it?
When “Donny” was president we had energy independence so we didn’t need to suck up to countries that hate us.

When “Donny” was president we had energy independence so we didn’t need to suck up to countries that hate us.

We export oil, we did then, we did before Donny, we export now. Just an FYI.

Good Greif.

We export oil, we did then, we did before Donny, we export now. Just an FYI.

Good Greif.
Now we import more than we export. With the Donald the opposite was true.

Leaving oil out of sanctions really makes sanctions kind of weak and for looks more than results
Which way do you ****ing want it? You claim sanctions are bad for the U.S. for energy reasons, but then claim only energy sanctions would hurt Russia.

Just stop, your efforts to blame Biden and support "no sanctions" against Russian aggression are transparently on display already.

Which way do you ****ing want it? You claim sanctions are bad for the U.S. for energy reasons, but then claim only energy sanctions would hurt Russia.

Just stop, your efforts to blame Biden and support "no sanctions" against Russian aggression are transparently on display already.
Just stating facts. Sanctions historically don’t work and didn’t stop Russia from invading and not sanctioning Russian oil makes our sanctions policy very weak.
Wall Street liked the weak sanctions though so that’s good I guess.

You know that whole energy independence thing was debunked as being misleading and simplistic, right?

Just stating facts. Sanctions historically don’t work and didn’t stop Russia from invading and not sanctioning Russian oil makes our sanctions policy very weak.
You're not stating facts, you already admitted your OP was hastily written and in error. You couldn't even be bothered to educate yourself before making an entire thread on a topic.
Nothing about the sanctions are weak...the Russian currency dropped to a low against the dollar, their markets crashed.

Sanctions didn’t stop Putin and historically have a very poor record of success so I have to wonder if imposing them on Russia is cutting off our nose to spite our face. Gas is already high and will go higher which will drag down our economy and make inflation even worse and the Dow is crashing.
Can someone tell me exactly why these Biden sanctions are going to do anything but hurt us as much or more than they hurt Putin?
For once I’m actually indecisive on something and could be swayed either way with the right argument.
Really all we can do.

Your original premise is incorrect. Sanctions have worked.

They were important enough to Putin to have him order donnie and Flynn to get rid of them

And it was economics that defeated the USSR

Nothing about the sanctions are weak...the Russian currency dropped to a low against the dollar, their markets crashed.
I saw that in another thread and it’s a good sign but let’s wait and see if that shock to their economy last. Japan is leaving their facilities in Russia open so apparently they are not onboard with sanctions.

Allegedly Russia is sitting on over $650 billion which is not a lot of money once a nation has decided to start a war.
I heard some guy on CNBC today say the war chest should offset sanctions for 3-9 months. But, he might have been guessing for all I know. I spent a little time Googling around to see if I could find estimates of how long the war chest might last. But no luck. Probably too many unknowns for people to make a reasonable estimate at this time.

Your original premise is incorrect. Sanctions have worked.

They were important enough to Putin to have him order donnie and Flynn to get rid of them

And it was economics that defeated the USSR
Yes Reagan beat the USSR economically with economic moves but not necessarily sanctions. My favorite Reagan trick was feeding Russia flawed info on how to make pumping stations for their pipeline which then failed after Russia spent billions on them. Good stuff!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom