• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russian Navy Commander Stole Two 13-Ton Bronze Propellers From His Own Destroyer

Bum

I survived. Suck it, Schrodinger.
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Russian naval pay is probably quite low.

I knew that in the 1990s when Russian nuclear missile carrying submarines were getting villages to "sponsor" their boat and supply them with food.

I knew that in the 1990s when Russian nuclear missile carrying submarines were getting villages to "sponsor" their boat and supply them with food.

I wonder how much of the "sponsorship" was voluntary.

This is me, about to ask my Navy vet wife why props are bronze because, silly me, I always assumed they had to be made of sterner stuff than bronze.
Isn't bronze a really soft metal?

Reactions: Bum
I wonder how much of the "sponsorship" was voluntary.

Probably more than you think. I was doing some research on the private plots (about an acres worth) that workers on collective farms were allowed to farm for themselves and sell the things grown there. It seems that voluntarily relationships between locally stationed military units and area farmers were not uncommon where the military supplied the farmers with certain items they couldn't get legally (like gasoline, diesel, and lubricants for their machinery) and looked the other way if the farmers skirted the edge of the law in return the farmers provided the soldiers with foods that were rare or completely unavailable through official channels.

After all, what was the crew of these missile submarines going to do to the villages? Threaten to nuke them?

This is me, about to ask my Navy vet wife why props are bronze because, silly me, I always assumed they had to be made of sterner stuff than bronze.

Easier to machine and they resist corrosion....in salt water, thats a definite plus.

Ohhhhh okay, now I get it.

Large ocean going vessels have a "sacrificial slug" on the hulls, AKA "Galvanic anode"....which mitigates corrosion by attracting the corrosion to the slug.

Probably more than you think. I was doing some research on the private plots (about an acres worth) that workers on collective farms were allowed to farm for themselves and sell the things grown there. It seems that voluntarily relationships between locally stationed military units and area farmers were not uncommon where the military supplied the farmers with certain items they couldn't get legally (like gasoline, diesel, and lubricants for their machinery) and looked the other way if the farmers skirted the edge of the law in return the farmers provided the soldiers with foods that were rare or completely unavailable through official channels.

After all, what was the crew of these missile submarines going to do to the villages? Threaten to nuke them?

Commercial trade wins out :)

Trade is somewhat different to "sponsorship".

The Russian Navy says that a former commander of the now-decommissioned destroyer Bespokoynyy conspired with others and stole the ship's two bronze propellers while it was in dry dock being converted into a floating museum.

Russian Navy Commander Stole Two 13-Ton Bronze Propellers From His Own Destroyer (thedrive.com)

At the time of my post, the price for scrap bronze is $1.82 per lb......thats a lotta Borscht.
entire Putin´s empire is in one topic , some numbers :

aGdvDK0_460s.jpg

That's a hard way to make $47,320.

Easier to machine and they resist corrosion....in salt water, thats a definite plus.

Also resistant to fouling (aquatic growth).

Bronze is a lot stronger than water...

The Russian Navy says that a former commander of the now-decommissioned destroyer Bespokoynyy conspired with others and stole the ship's two bronze propellers while it was in dry dock being converted into a floating museum.

Russian Navy Commander Stole Two 13-Ton Bronze Propellers From His Own Destroyer (thedrive.com)

At the time of my post, the price for scrap bronze is $1.82 per lb......thats a lotta Borscht.
Russian naval pay is probably quite low.
That's a hard way to make $47,320.

fresh update :

Russian 'doomsday' plane's radio equipment stolen by thieves ...
www.bbc.com › news › world-europe-55229438

Dec 8, 2020 — Thieves have stolen electronic equipment from a Russian military aircraft known as a "doomsday plane" for its role in the country's nuclear ...

Back
Top Bottom