• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Russia lays claim to the North Pole - and all its gas, oil, and diamonds

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Vladimir Putin has laid claim to the North Pole, and says that it is now part of Russia.

Article is here

Haha, this, after declaring recently of his new "nuclear missle program" that would make him a "key player" in military affairs and able to beat any missle defense system?

What, is Putin trying to take over the world hahaha?

Haha, this, after declaring recently of his new "nuclear missle program" that would make him a "key player" in military affairs and able to beat any missle defense system?

What, is Putin trying to take over the world hahaha?

This reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons where they're in a peaceful, post-Soviet Russia and then the Russian President yells something about mother Russia being in hiding but coming back and then flips a switch and all the efficient cars and beautiful statues turn into tanks and missiles.:lol:

Edit:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-20CtRdmL4[/YOUTUBE] :lol:

Vladimir Putin has laid claim to the North Pole, and says that it is now part of Russia.

Article is here

Putin needs a bullet through his skull.

Also... I think Santa will object to being forced to become a citizen of Russia.

Putin needs to be stopped....hopefully with a bullet through his head.

Putin needs a bullet through his skull.

Also... I think Santa will object to being forced to become a citizen of Russia.

Putin needs to be stopped....hopefully with a bullet through his head.

I bet a lot of non-Americans feel the same way about Bush.

This is not good.

We should strongly reject this.
Hopefully the rest of the world will join us.

This is not good.

We should strongly reject this.
Hopefully the rest of the world will join us.

Haha, I wouldn't count on it. I think the rest of the world many times just tries to go against our ideas anyway they can.

I wonder if Canada has a claim.

"Russians vs. Canadian, This time its not hockey"

This reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons where they're in a peaceful, post-Soviet Russia and then the Russian President yells something about mother Russia being in hiding but coming back and then flips a switch and all the efficient cars and beautiful statues turn into tanks and missiles.:lol:

hahaha
THANK YOU!!! I sooo needed that. haha

all I know is that I'm thankful I left Russia when I did. yey Capitalism!! haha

I wonder if Canada has a claim.

"Russians vs. Canadian, This time its not hockey"
Perhaps even the Danish have a claim to.
North pole lol, since when did ocean become something you could claim?

Haha, I wouldn't count on it. I think the rest of the world many times just tries to go against our ideas anyway they can.

Methinks someone is projecting their own wet, wild and frozen personal fantasies. :roll:

Also how can somewhere that has only ice in it have diamonds?? There is no land mass at all in the North Pole.

Someone call Rock Hudson!

Also how can somewhere that has only ice in it have diamonds?? There is no land mass at all in the North Pole.

There is land underneath the Arctic Ocean, and there are supposed to be diamonds there....

Or just maybe the Polish government, when listening to the radio report from their expedition to the North Pole, mistranslated the word "ice" as the slang for diamonds, and announced the humongous find.

If the magnetic north pole is in russian terroritory, then Putin has a valid claim :)

Gee I wonder why, could it be our arrogance?

I think you need to send some of your graphs and charts to Putin. He's just going to have a bunch of dead polar bears and seals floating around in the northpole pretty soon......

well, none of you guys can claim the ocean... because I claimed it already. so ha! :mrgreen:

I think you need to send some of your graphs and charts to Putin. He's just going to have a bunch of dead polar bears and seals floating around in the northpole pretty soon......
I'll have to say, in a sick and twisted way, that has humor value.

:fyi: the seals are not endangered as the Polar Bears have now been classified. Also, Russia is a Kyoto Protocol signatory so they are aware of the reality of global warming.

Does the French invade nations and cause civil unrest in a country like... oh... Iraq?

They have a very long history of occupying sovereign nations, laying claim to their resources, and claiming that territory as their own. Perhaps you forgot that.

From the WikiP.... said:
Extent of the French colonial empires

Here is a list of all the countries that were part of the French colonial empires in the last 500 years, either entirely or in part, either under French sovereignty or as mandate or protectorate. When only a part of the country was under French rule, that part is listed in parentheses after the country. When there are no parentheses, it means the whole country was formerly part of any one of the French colonial empires. Countries listed are those where French sovereignty applied effectively. Areas that were only claimed, but not effectively controlled (such as Manhattan or Western Australia) are not listed.

"1st" means the country/territory was part of the first French colonial empire. "2nd" means the country/territory was part of the second French colonial empire. "Now" means this is a territory still part of the French Republic today.

[edit] The Americas

[edit] North America

* Canada (most of eastern and central Canada, see Acadia and New France) -- 1st
* Saint-Pierre and Miquelon -- 1st, 2nd, & now
* United States (entire basin of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, Great Lakes, see New France and Louisiana) -- 1st

[edit] Caribbean

* Anguilla (briefly) -- 1st
* Antigua and Barbuda (briefly) -- 1st
* Dominica -- 1st
* Dominican Republic (briefly) -- 1st
* Grenada -- 1st
* Guadeloupe -- 1st, 2nd, & now
* Haiti -- 1st
* Martinique -- 1st, 2nd, & now
* Montserrat (briefly) -- 1st
* Saint Martin (northern half only) -- 1st, 2nd, & now
* Saint-Barthélemy -- 1st, 2nd, & now
* Saint Lucia -- 1st
* Saint Vincent and the Grenadines -- 1st
* Sint Eustatius (briefly) -- 1st
* St Kitts and Nevis (St Kitts, but not Nevis) -- 1st
* Trinidad and Tobago (Tobago only) -- 1st
* US Virgin Islands (Saint Croix only) -- 1st

[edit] South America

* Brazil (Rio de Janeiro briefly, and São Luís briefly) -- 1st

(see France Antarctique and France Équinoxiale)

* French Guiana -- 1st, 2nd, & now

[edit] Africa

[edit] North Africa

* Morocco (89% of Morocco) -- 2nd
* Algeria -- 2nd
* Tunisia -- 2nd

[edit] West Africa

* Benin (as Dahomey) -- 2nd
* Burkina Faso (as Upper Volta)-- 2nd
* Côte d'Ivoire -- 2nd
* Guinea -- 2nd
* Mali (as French Sudan) -- 2nd
* Mauritania -- 2nd
* Niger -- 2nd
* Senegal -- 1st & 2nd
* Togo -- 2nd

[edit] Equatorial Africa

* Cameroon (91% of Cameroon) -- 2nd
* Central African Republic (as Oubangui Chari)-- 2nd
* Chad -- 2nd
* Gabon -- 2nd
* Republic of the Congo ('Congo-Brazzaville') -- 2nd

[edit] Indian Ocean

* Comoros -- 2nd
* Madagascar -- 2nd
* Mauritius -- 1st
* Mayotte - 2nd & now
* Réunion -- 1st, 2nd, & now
* Scattered Islands in the Indian Ocean - 2nd & now
* Seychelles -- 1st
* Tanzania (Zanzibar, briefly) -- 2nd

[edit] Red Sea

* Djibouti (as French Somaliland) -- 2nd
* Yemen (Cheikh Saïd peninsula) -- 2nd

[edit] Asia

[edit] Middle East

* Lebanon -- 2nd
* Syria -- 2nd
* Turkey (Sanjak of Alexandretta, now called Hatay Province) -- 2nd

[edit] South Asia

* India
o half of India (see French India)-- 1st
o only Pondicherry, Karikal, Yanaon, Mahé, and Chandernagore -- 2nd

[edit] East Asia

* China
o Kwang-Chou-Wan leased territory, now the city of Zhanjiang (Guangdong province) -- 2nd
o French concessions in Shanghai, Guangzhou, Tianjin, and Hankou -- 2nd
o French sphere of influence recognized by China over the provinces of Yunnan, Guangxi, Hainan, and Guangdong -- 2nd

[edit] South East Asia

* Cambodia - 2nd
* Laos - 2nd
* Vietnam (as Annam, Tonkin, and Cochin China) - 2nd

[edit] Oceania

* Clipperton - 2nd & now
* New Caledonia -- 2nd & now
* French Polynesia -- 2nd & now
* Vanuatu (condominium shared with the British Empire) -- 2nd
* Wallis and Futuna -- 2nd & now

[edit] Antarctic Ocean

* French Southern and Antarctic Lands -- 2nd & now

[edit] Unsuccessful colonisations

* Brazil — Settlement of the sites of Rio de Janeiro ("France Antarctique") from 1555 to 1567, and São Luís, Maranhão ("France Équinoxiale"), from 1612 to 1614.

* Florida — Huguenots settled near present-day Jacksonville in 1562 and were massacred by the Spanish in 1565.

* French India — France once had the largest share of the India trade, but lost nearly all of it during the Seven Years' War, keeping only some trading posts until the 1950s, when India annexed them.

* The campaign of Egypt — In 1798 Napoleon Bonaparte mounted daring expedition to Egypt. His aim was to either build a canal or to establish an overland route, and thus re-establish a viable road to regain these possessions. Though the Mamluks were trounced on land, the enterprise was hopeless after the Battle of the Nile, as the British cut off the sea lanes of the army of Egypt.

* New Zealand — A colony was established at Akaroa on Banks Peninsula in the South Island in April 1840, but Britain had gained sovereignity over New Zealand through the treaty of Waitangi in February.

* Siam — The king of Siam had to surrender its hegemony over Laos and Cambodia and to grant commercial concessions to France, but managed to retain independence as a buffer state between French Indochina and the British Raj.

* Suez — Though built by a French company, Britain considered the Suez canal vital for communication with its possessions in the Orient, and manoeuvred successfully to establish control over Egypt.

* Africa — France and the British Empire competed for possession of continuous territories from along the west to east and south to north axis of the continent respectively. This rivalry provoked the Fashoda incident in 1898; its peaceful resolution led to the Entente Cordiale.

[edit] Organization of the French Empire in 1931

At the height of the second French colonial empire in 1931, the Empire was organized into the following colonies:

[edit] Africa and the Indian Ocean

* Algeria (not a colony, but three separate départements officially considered part of Metropolitan France, and one territory under military rule)
o Alger département
o Oran département
o Constantine département
o Territoires du Sud territory
* Cameroon (a League of Nations Mandate)
* French Equatorial Africa
o Chad
o Gabon
o Middle Congo
o Oubangi-Chari
* French Morocco (a protectorate)
* French Somaliland (including the Cheik-Saïd peninsula, now part of Yemen)
* French Togoland (a League of Nations Mandate)
* French West Africa
o Dahomey (now Benin)
o French Guinea
o French Sudan
o Ivory Coast
o Mauritania
o Niger
o Senegal
o Upper Volta
* Madagascar (including the Comoros, Mayotte, the Kerguelen Islands, Amsterdam Island, Saint-Paul Island, the Crozet Islands, and the Scattered islands in the Indian Ocean)
* Réunion
* Tunisia (a protectorate)

[edit] The Americas

* French Guiana
* Guadaloupe (including Saint Barthélemy and half of Saint Martin)
* Martinique
* Saint Pierre and Miquelon

[edit] Asia

* French concessions in China: Shanghai, Guangzhou, Tianjin, and Hankou
* French India (Pondicherry, Chandernagore, Karaikal, Mahé, Yanaon, now part of India)
* French Indochina
o Annam (a protectorate, part of modern Central Vietnam)
o Cambodia (Kampuchea)(a protectorate)
o Cochin China (a colony, part of modern South Vietnam)
o Laos (a protectorate)
o Tonkin (a protectorate, part of modern North Vietnam)
* Kwang-Chou-Wan (a leased port in China)
* Lebanon (a League of Nations Mandate)
* Syria (a League of Nations Mandate, including the Sanjak of Alexandretta)

[edit] The Pacific

* French Polynesia (a colony, including Clipperton Island)
* New Caledonia (a colony, including Wallis and Futuna)
* New Hebrides (held in condominium with the United Kingdom)

Yeah...about that...

Back
Top Bottom