• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ron DeSantis uses ‘monkey’ to describe Andrew Gillum agenda; Democrats brand it racist

What this thread shows is that there are people who hear the word monkey or ape and immediately think of black people. Not surprisingly, all of those people are on the left.

I don't think it is left or right, it is more a response of last resort. Those who have nothing else to offer, and want to win at all costs, use every trick in the book to advance. That is why our government exists of nothing but partisan tweebs and powerhungry goodfornothings, and we, as citizens, do their bidding by attacking each other.

obviously there is a huge amount of suppressed racism in America

Trump ran a racist campaign and it worked magnificently for him

Desantis is just following a winning strategy. He has certainly solidified the trump base. Remains to be seen how it works with the independent voters who will decide the election.

I don't think it is left or right, it is more a response of last resort. Those who have nothing else to offer, and want to win at all costs, use every trick in the book to advance. That is why our government exists of nothing but partisan tweebs and powerhungry goodfornothings, and we, as citizens, do their bidding by attacking each other.

Denying the obvious role that racism, xenophobia and homophobia play in Republican election strategy is naïve at best, absurd to be generous, and outright racist itself after all the cows are counted.

What this thread shows is that there are people who hear the word monkey or ape and immediately think of black people. Not surprisingly, all of those people are on the left.

Indeed. What's the old saying about accusing everyone else of your own misdeeds? Exactly what we are seeing here.

Most certainly spot on.

What a bunch of BS. I heard what he said, and it had no racial implication. It is an expression and is as racist as monkey bars and monkey bread. Only racists themselves could possibly make a connection.
From the article

I wonder who the ones who make it racist are.

I don't wonder. Nosiree. It pretty much has become the political tactic of choice year round.

How the Republican Party Became The Party of Racism

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...rty-became-the-party-of-racism-1827779221/amp

Here’s a joke: What’s the difference between a Klan rally and a Republican Convention?

Answer: The dress code.

Here’s another one: How white is the Republican Party?

According to Pew Research, 83 percent of the registered voters who identify as Republican are non-Hispanic whites. The Republican Party is whiter than Tilda Swinton riding a polar bear in a snowstorm to a Taylor Swift concert.

I wasn't using it as a whataboutism. I was using it as a guide as to the context DeSantis was using the term.

Evidence?

Evidence: Common sense and life experience.

NO ONE has ever used the term, "monkeying things up". DeSantis used that term to pander to trump's racist base.

You're doing a good job of pushing that Liberal talking point.

Too bad it's a foolish effort. Not very many people are buying what the Libs are selling over this.

The only thing that would help, is if snowflakes quit fabricating outrage.

It's desperation. And it's pathetic.

Anything to keep the subject off of Gillum's corruption suspicions.

How the Republican Party Became The Party of Racism

https://www.theroot.com/how-the-republican-party-became-the-party-of-racism-1827779221

Here’s a joke: What’s the difference between a Klan rally and a Republican Convention?

Answer: The dress code.

Here’s another one: How white is the Republican Party?

According to Pew Research, 83 percent of the registered voters who identify as Republican are non-Hispanic whites. The Republican Party is whiter than Tilda Swinton riding a polar bear in a snowstorm to a Taylor Swift concert.

What a bunch of race baiting click blather.

Last edited:
Denying the obvious role that racism, xenophobia and homophobia play in Republican election strategy is naïve at best, absurd to be generous, and outright racist itself after all the cows are counted.

What delicious irony.
Replace Republican election strategy with Democratic Party election strategy and I'll agree that you finally decided to post some honesty.

Racist? Nah, Democrats are seizing on a very poor choice of words when DeSantis told his audience that Florida would be monkeying up the state if they they voted for his opponent, who happens to be black. But, I do have to say that DeSantis seems to have the mind of a monkey himself to have made such a faux pas here. Yea, this was dumb. He should be feeding his own base, not that of the Democrats. LOL.

Ron DeSantis uses ?monkey? to describe Andrew Gillum agenda; Democrats brand it racist - Sun Sentinel
...monkey this up... is not racist.

But, seeing as Democrats cannot run on ideas, because Occasio-Cortez with a penis shockingly won their primary... they try this crap.

You're doing a good job of pushing that Liberal talking point.

Too bad it's a foolish effort. Not very many people are buying what the Libs are selling over this.

Good thing DeSantis apologized and Faux Noose distanced themselves from those comments. So they wouldn't offend liberals. Care to try some more twisted logic? You hate people who disagree with you, we get it. But you can do better - try something plausible.

Remains to be seen how it works with the independent voters who will decide the election.

I think the Indies will see through this Liberal smokescreen and focus on the issues and how crooked Gillum is.

Evidence: Common sense and life experience.

Common sense and experience tells me that he made a clumsy comment. It's hard enough to prove intent in court, what makes you think this is such an open and shut case?

I think the Indies will see through this Liberal smokescreen and focus on the issues and how crooked Gillum is.

lol...black guy has to be crooked. Amirite?

What a bunch of race baiting click blather.

The Democrats, who stood up to slavery... ooops, not them. The Democrats, who pioneered and called for anti lynching laws... uhhh... again, not them. Well, they helped solidify black families... wait, they destroyed them. But, yep, they call the Republican racists.

Racist? Nah, Democrats are seizing on a very poor choice of words when DeSantis told his audience that Florida would be monkeying up the state if they they voted for his opponent, who happens to be black. But, I do have to say that DeSantis seems to have the mind of a monkey himself to have made such a faux pas here. Yea, this was dumb. He should be feeding his own base, not that of the Democrats. LOL.

Ron DeSantis uses ?monkey? to describe Andrew Gillum agenda; Democrats brand it racist - Sun Sentinel

...he didn't even use it to describe the agenda. He used it to describe the likely effects of the agenda - messing up what (he claims) is a good thing Florida has going.

I call my middle son monkey all the time - he is a little monkey (constantly climbing/hanging/balancing on something). Yes, people have used the word to insult blacks. That does not mean that the entirety of the word is defined by that usage, anymore than me cooking spaghetti in my pot means that I am baking it in marijuana.

If you can't understand that, well, it's because you don't want to. :shrug:

Why didn't he use the word mess? Monkey has way too much of a racial history here.

Because he's a racist. It's apparently very difficult for a racist not to say racist things, which is even more apparent when conservatives defense systems go into full-effect with phrases such as "man, you can't say anything these days like you used to!".

You misunderstand. I just knew how you folks operate so I figured you'd already be looking for attack points.
DeSantis didn't mispeak.
Here ...

‘Monkey’ Navy slang
Concerning the "monkey this up” comment by gubernatorial candidate Ron DeSantis: The meaning of words depends on one’s personal experiences.
The same words mean different things to different people. The term "monkey this up" is a U.S. Navy slang term. And DeSantis was in the Navy, so he used words known in parts of the Navy world. Others heard something different, but that does not mean that DeSantis was trying to refer to race or anything else other than to say let's not goof up the good thing we've got going in Florida (my words, of course).
'Monkey it up' - offensive or not? Readers weigh in: Letters - Orlando Sentinel

Now ... that wasn't hard to find.
Doesn't it make you wonder why the media hasn't been looking for it?

It is "interesting" that you find the anecdotal evidence of a letter to the editor by a 92 year old convincing evidence. I CANNOT imagine how the media missed this.

I don't think you know how "you folks operate" That's again blaming the offended party for being offensive. You admitted yourself that you had a bit of a cringe moment when you heard it.

IMO, the right has played this one up big time, rallying all those who like what DeSantis had to say, and leaving no question that he is indeed a disciple of Trump.

Thinking people can decide which side of this issue they want to be on. Not a hard choice.

I'm sure you would use something you failed to understand as a gocha. :lol:

Why do that when you present me with such an obvious reply with your inane link?

A perfect description of DeSantis. Thank you for that insightful observation.

A slight improvement.

This empty, thoughtless, meaningless arrangement words was not hate filled.

Progress noted and applauded!

Back
Top Bottom