• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Robots will destroy our jobs – and we're not ready for it

I'm sorry, I thought you made that point once already, felt it necessary to drop a deuce did you?

The post I responded to wasn’t exactly a new revelation. People make the same argument, I respond the same.

The post I responded to wasn’t exactly a new revelation. People make the same argument, I respond the same.

So it is up to the individual to become the vendor or supplier that benefits the most from the emerging market. It always falls back to the early bird gets the worm or survival of the fittest. Some will be left out in the cold and some will shovel ****, while others will make out well. Just like when the auto replaced the horse.

Some one has to program these robots and service them too, jobs will change, not disappear. My daughter is 8, I'm already nudging her towards jobs involving robotics and AI.

I did aerospace electronics in the Air Force, flight simulator tech, then I went to bio-medical as a tech at a manufacturer, finally, and the most fun was robotics in a manufacturing environment.

By this time I had been pretty well versed in machining as well as electronics, did CNC milling and lathe work, it really takes both skill sets, plus a knack for programming to do the job well.

People are all up in arms about "robots," these are just as potent a force: PLCs, Programmable Logic Controllers, with these you can automate existing manual machinery.

I put about 15 of these Allen Bradley units on our line, and they are the most dependable microprocessor-based system I had ever come across, if these people made an autonomous car I would take a ride in it.

Wonderful unit, the controller there cost a mere $250, the handheld program unit $450.

picture sharing

These are essentially multi-pole programmable relays, they sense 120 AC on the input, say a switch position and give a programmed response by closing and opening relay contacts for manufacturing "process control."

But robotics was indeed fun and challenging, so your daughter is in for some good times!

Thx :)

People are all caught up in science fiction. There will always be work. Human desires change and we adapt. What isn't valuable or viable today for labor, will be tomorrow.

So it is up to the individual to become the vendor or supplier that benefits the most from the emerging market. It always falls back to the early bird gets the worm or survival of the fittest. Some will be left out in the cold and some will shovel ****, while others will make out well. Just like when the auto replaced the horse.

That works up until the guillotines come out.

Well then, I guess we'll have to keep the gun manufacturers in business then, won't we.

Yes, that will make it easier for the masses you brush aside to do what they do when a critical mass of poverty and desperation hit

Yes, that will make it easier for the masses you brush aside to do what they do when a critical mass of poverty and desperation hit

What masses am I brushing aside? I'm just making plans to stay ahead of the curve, I suggest you do the same, if not, don't look to me for help when it's too late. Your time for help is now, refuse it now, don't get offered any then. A person that fails to plan has a plan to fail.

What masses am I brushing aside? I'm just making plans to stay ahead of the curve, I suggest you do the same, if not, don't look to me for help when it's too late. Your time for help is now, refuse it now, don't get offered any then. A person that fails to plan has a plan to fail.

Basically you're planning to stay ahead of the curve.
But others want to change the curve.

Basically you're planning to stay ahead of the curve.
But others want to change the curve.

So, let them change it, it's my job to see the writing on the wall. If you not up to the task, check yourself out.

So, let them change it, it's my job to see the writing on the wall. If you not up to the task, check yourself out.
I'm saying it's a different take on said writing.

Your response is to plan for the results of that writing.
Others respond by trying to change the writing.

Some do both.

Our first color TV was 20", no remote, cost almost $500. When that failed, after about 10 years, we got a 21" color TV with remote, about $250.
Now you can get a 32" flat screen TV that SHOULD cost several thousand dollars, if built by hand in America, but is less than $150 including shipping halfway around the planet....

Technology is wonderful...

Technology has come so far that robotics and Computer Numerically Controlled machines are indispensable.

Check out this guy's CNC machine shop, I was just as impressed by all the Statistical Process Control in the shop as the CNC machining itself!

Industry has been shoring up and nipping costs to the bone, to expect them to go back and tool-up for manual production would be simply suicide.

How many are employed by companies put out of business?

Platitudes. You've already admitted there will be people left behind.

Platitudes. You've already admitted there will be people left behind.
There will always be people "left behind".

The need for certain training and ability changes because progress occurs, the only two ways possible are to prevent progress or adapt to the changes.

That said, part of the problem is the top-down hierarchy which most of our systems are built around.
When the bottom can be trimmed to help the top without repercussion, it'll continue to happen.

There will always be people "left behind".

The need for certain training and ability changes because progress occurs, the only two ways possible are to prevent progress or adapt to the changes.

That said, part of the problem is the top-down hierarchy which most of our systems are built around.
When the bottom can be trimmed to help the top without repercussion, it'll continue to happen.

Some of my siblings were left behind, mostly because they would not get on the bus. They expected high paying easy jobs delivered to a location close to their home towns. I moved away, far away, several times....following the jobs.

Tooling... an essential aspect of manufacturing.

If we were to go back to manual production, a lot of those machines don't even exist nowadays, first someone would have to start manufacturing old tech machines...

So, like it or not, agree with it or not, a higher technology will always replace an inferior one, you just can't go back with most manufactured items.

Some of my siblings were left behind, mostly because they would not get on the bus. They expected high paying easy jobs delivered to a location close to their home towns. I moved away, far away, several times....following the jobs.
The downside is that communities cannot be built around jobs like they were in the past, in that situation.

Wondering what your take on this idea of worker-run co-ops/businesses I've encountered several times lately is.

The downside is that communities cannot be built around jobs like they were in the past, in that situation.

Wondering what your take on this idea of worker-run co-ops/businesses I've encountered several times lately is.

Employee owned businesses seem to do well....

Employee owned businesses seem to do well....
I realize it isn't a new thing, but I've not encountered it much until recently.

Possibly if it became more prevalent it'd provide competition against standard corporation models that would cause positive changes.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/11/robots-jobs-employees-artificial-intelligence

Two-thirds of Americans believe robots will soon perform most of the work done by humans but 80% also believe their jobs will be unaffected. Time to think again

The McDonald’s on the corner of Third Avenue and 58th Street in New York City doesn’t look all that different from any of the fast-food chain’s other locations across the country. Inside, however, hungry patrons are welcomed not by a cashier waiting to take their order, but by a “Create Your Taste” kiosk – an automated touch-screen system that allows customers to create their own burgers without interacting with another human being.

Wait, let me get this straight, humanity is on the cusp of being able to provide itself highly skilled labor at historically low prices and we're all quaking in fear?

Let me explain the real problem here. Inability to change to a new paradigm.

Think about it like this. Does productivity exist because there was money to purchase it or was money created to purchase productivity?

If you picked the latter, then you might realize that increasing productivity will allow for the increase in money creation. People will be able to work 10-20 hours a week and have all if not more of the standard of living they have today.

The hardest part will be the 50-100 years of transition while the old paradigm dies.

If we can't let go, that will be the problem.

Back
Top Bottom