• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Robert a Heinlein the greatest American science fiction author has been spurned by the media. I think it is because of his libertarian politics.

Not everyone in the free love movement had heard the name Heinlein. I'd be happy to believe Stranger was responsible for free love but I don't. I believe the counter-culture, free love movement was most influenced by the Vietnam war.

Free love also got a pretty good boost from the marketing of contraceptives in the early sixties.

That actually looks a bit Nazi, but there did not appear to be an overtly racial angle to the world's government in either the movie or the book. That would make the government seem more fascist than Nazi to me, and the reason is this: A person had no vote unless they had served in the military - race doesn't appear to be an issue, and serving in the military was limited to some degree, either to those physically fit, those who could fly a starship or pilot some other military vehicle, or a mind-reader like the Colonel Carl Jenkins in the screenshot you provided. About the mind reader, I imagine a mind-reader would be a plus in any fascist or, indeed, totalitarian government, and that is reflected by his rank.

Mind you, it's been a long time since I've seen the movie and even longer, much longer, since I've read the book.

I think Verhoeven said the moral of his movie was something like, “war makes everyone fascists.”

Paul Verhoeven is a @#$^*$@ &%$@-#!

Doesn’t make much difference to me, as I wasn’t a huge fan of either his Troopers film or Heinlein’s original.

I still like the original Robocop though.

Doesn’t make much difference to me, as I wasn’t a huge fan of either his Troopers film or Heinlein’s original.

I still like the original Robocop though.
I think Starship Troopers is a great book and Robocop is a kiddie flick. So I guess it doesn't matter much to me, either.

I just want a sci fi book that prioritizes character over plot and theme. The nature of the genre inevitably does otherwise.

Why else is "A Stranger in a Strange Land" not a Netflix series.
There is nothing libertarian with Stranger in a Strange Land, and lots of classic sci-fi stories havent been made into Netflix series.

I want in on any Heinlein discussion thread. I believe I read everything he ever wrote except Tramp Royale. And I'm going to check Amazon for a copy.

After the spectacular disaster Verhoeven made of Starship Troopers I'm in no hurry to see a SiaSL movie.

I've slowly replaced all the MMPs I bought when I was young and poor with hardcover editions. .

What did you guys think of that 2 volume biography? I was disappointed.

Asimov, Bradbury, Arthur C. Clarke.

Then Larry Niven, Frank Herbert (Whom I always found depressing for some reason. The White Plague, horrid.) But rarely a mention of Heinlein in the same breath. It's a travesty.

David Brin is pretty good.

Jules Verne and H.G. Wells go without saying.
Guess who I like the best? Brin, Bear and Benford are really good. Ben Boba as well.

Tons of books based on Asimov's Foundation universe and Robot stories.

Guess who I like the best? Brin, Bear and Benford are really good. Ben Boba as well.

I agree with all that. The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, and the further adventures of R. Daneel Olivaw are delightfully entertaining and thought provoking. The Zeroth Law is a humdinger.

Brin's Uplift War stuff was very good.

How about Dan Simmons' Hyperion series?

It was this thing Tolkien did before he learned how to write.
I didn't get the Silmarillion until my third attempt when I started keeping notes on who was who and who was whose enemy. Lots of good stories but very hard to keep all the characters and factions straight..

I agree with all that. The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, and the further adventures of R. Daneel Olivaw are delightfully entertaining and thought provoking. The Zeroth Law is a humdinger.

I have read the series but not blown away by it. I really enjoyed the Uplift War stuff.

Julian May had some really good series that I enjoyed.

As for Asimov, Donald Kingsbury wrote a long book continuing the Foundation story which I thought was excellent. Psychohistorical Crisis.

That was it, I forgot the name. Really bad.

Shatner's? Well, he was a line-counter, as an actor. I flipped through a Tek War book - remaindered, I think. After a cursory look, I could see why. Star Trek was probably the most daring thing he did, as an actor (some Twilight Zone episodes, too?) But as a writer, no.

The Silmarillion.

There. I said it.

Tolkien wrote (& rewrote & rewrote ...) high fantasy - I've read The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings, but it's not my usual fare. He was a genius writer, endlessly inventive, inventing languages, cultures, songs, folk tales, scripts, & on & on. Very hard for him to put period to any piece of work, the despair of his publisher.

I admire his work, his work ethic - but from a safe distance. The Silmarillion is his, but it was his son who edited & published the critter. So you can blame the family, I suppose. It's probably not just to put the entire blame (if that's what it is) on JRR himself for that one, @ least not as it was published.

Asimov’s Olivaw stories might have the most cinematic potential of his works.

Heinlein’s Glory Road would make a good light flick. Ditto “Magic Inc”— anyone read that?

Asimov’s Olivaw stories might have the most cinematic potential of his works.

Heinlein’s Glory Road would make a good light flick. Ditto “Magic Inc”— anyone read that?
Read Magic Inc. in a book that included Waldo. Waldo & Magic Inc.

Waldo
noun
plural noun: waldoes
  1. a remote manipulator, as for puppets, operated either mechanically or electronically.

Heinlein coined a few words.

Bear's Wardogs trilogy is probably the best thing I've read in a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom