• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans could delay, but not block Biden's Supreme Court pick if all Democrats back nominee

Irrelevant to nominating a SC Justice.

Yes, plenty of outrage to go around. I seriously doubt Biden nor Schumer give a damn about the media right now.

The hearings will of course be turned into a circus by media from both sides...unless the Republicans suddenly gain professionalism. The GOP could stand to gain minority support by supporting a black woman. Will they do it? Can they do it? How much would they lose, if any?
it is very relevant when you have people like yourself spout off that manufactured nonsense like you did above.

Maybe, but McConnell isn’t Senate Majority Leader anymore and can’t do anything to stop the nomination. If the nominee is decent, they should vote to confirm.
Agreed. McConnell will have his say, and what that is remains to be heard, but I believe the Senate Republicans will play this wisely. I'm not gonna look it up, but the timing here is important. Those up for reelection this year must approach the hearings differently than others. Off the top of my head, Cruz is the only one with POTUS ambition, and I don't expect anything civil out of him anyway, but I think the hearings will move swiftly and with broad support. I could very well be wrong as well. It's a coin flip with this GOP.

Manchin is on record to not vote for a lib justice. You can bet Sinema is the same. So, to be sure a justice is not a lib, you have to go with a con. You know it won't be easy. Even appointing a lib will hardly affect the current con ideology majority of the court.
Disagree. 538 explains it well.

Based on past judicial confirmation votes, [Manchin and Sinema voting no is] unlikely.

The Senate has been remarkably efficient at passing President Biden’s judicial nominees so far: During the first year of his presidency, 42 of Biden’s district-court and appeals-court nominees have been confirmed — more than any president since John F. Kennedy.

And crucially, Democrats have been united behind those nominees. The next time a Democratic senator votes no on one of Biden’s judicial picks, it will be the first time. That means that even Manchin and Sinema have 100 percent track records of supporting Biden’s judicial nominees.

They got six to nine majority and they want to try to get this one too?

What a bunch of ****.
We already know they are complete terrorist POS, this just provides another example.

And Susan Collins comes out and says we should take our time, others were rushed. Of course they were, republicans are assholes trying to put Christian clerics on teh court so they crammed in religious nutjob **** Barret and ***** grabber Kavanaugh. Unqualified hacks.

They don't have the power to delay the confirmation...
Sure they do. Manchin can stop it. Just like he has stopped everything else the GOP wanted stopped.

I don't see any reason why there would be an issue. The justice retiring is more liberal - so replacing him with another more liberal justice shouldn't be an issue.
You must have never heard of Ted "Cancun" Cruz.

Republicans could delay, but not block Biden's Supreme Court pick if all Democrats back nominee

iu

Biden and the Democrats should not tarry here. Don't do what the GOP did with Amy Coney Barrett (a travesty). But move ahead with determination and resoluteness.

Liberal Justice Sonia Sotomayor (67/diabetic) should also consider retirement.

Considering what the democrat party attempted to pull against the Bret Kavanaugh nomination, libruls have no room to complain about what the republicans may do. Chances are the republicans will handle it in a much more professional manner and Taliban Joe's nominee will probably even get a few GOP votes in the Senate.

We already know they are complete terrorist POS, this just provides another example.

And Susan Collins comes out and says we should take our time, others were rushed. Of course they were, republicans are assholes trying to put Christian clerics on teh court so they crammed in religious nutjob **** Barret and ***** grabber Kavanaugh. Unqualified hacks.
Susan Collins will be "very concerned" about the nominee. Then she will vote EXACTLY like Mitch McConnell tells her to. Same song. Different verse.

They got six to nine majority and they want to try to get this one too?

What a bunch of ****.
bitching before anyone from the GOP has done anything? do you support the quota vision of Biden-limiting the choice to maybe a few people who have at least "pass the smell test" credentials? How many of the people he has narrowed the search to based on race and gender are seen as brilliant and leading legal minds?

Maybe, but McConnell isn’t Senate Majority Leader anymore and can’t do anything to stop the nomination. If the nominee is decent, they should vote to confirm.

Oh, so NOW decency's a requirement.

bitching before anyone from the GOP has done anything? do you support the quota vision of Biden-limiting the choice to maybe a few people who have at least "pass the smell test" credentials? How many of the people he has narrowed the search to based on race and gender are seen as brilliant and leading legal minds?

Are you not familiar with the GOP?

The hearings should run no longer than Barrett's did.

Republicans should give Biden's nominees the same treatment democrats gave Trump's nominees.
Do unto others as they do unto you? Yeah I can see how that mindset will help this nation prosper! :unsure:

wonder if they can get someone with Barrett's credentials.

I suspect he will nominate someone with even more than 3 years of judicial experience.

I suspect he will nominate someone with even more than 3 years of judicial experience.
I doubt they will pick someone who is considered an intellectual superstar

The Republicans can stop this appointment. Here's how: First, "It would be inappropriate to consider a nominee until Breyer actually retires. 2nd, "It would be inappropriate to consider a nominee so close to the midterm elections."

All they have to do is delay the confirmation until after the midterms, and once they control the senate, they will have a whole lot more input into the process and the new justice.

It will be done before the midterms.

I doubt they will pick someone who is considered an intellectual superstar
Where would they even find a liberal intellectual superstar? Maybe in Europe there are a few, the rest are pretty much as intellectual as Maxine Waters. Look at how intellectually impressive the POTUS is. Whoever is nominated, the other conservative judges are going to have to provide an enormous amount of job training to get them up to speed, probably starting with Dr Seuss books.

Sure they do. Manchin can stop it. Just like he has stopped everything else the GOP wanted stopped.
NBC News reports, "Justice Stephen Breyer will step down from the Supreme Court at the end of the current term, according to people familiar with his thinking.

"Breyer is one of the three remaining liberal justices, and his decision to retire after more than 27 years on the court allows President Joe Biden to appoint a successor who could serve for decades and, in the short term, maintain the current 6-3 split between conservative and liberal justices."

Now the only question remaining is, inasmuch as Sinema and Manchin are acting more like Republicans than Democrats, blocking everything the Democratic President is trying to do, will either one or both block Biden's appointment to the Supreme Court?

Biden has said he will nominate an African-American woman.

One of the leading candidates is DC Circuit Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson.

iu

Maybe they can use the democrat playbook and accuse her of sexually assaulting someone or being an extremist.

Just have a woman accuse her of being a child molester when she was a child and then demand a several month long FBI investigation.

Republicans should give Biden's nominees the same treatment democrats gave Trump's nominees.
How much money do you think the RNC should invest in "sexual harassment claims"?

Back
Top Bottom