• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans could delay, but not block Biden's Supreme Court pick if all Democrats back nominee

bitching before anyone from the GOP has done anything? do you support the quota vision of Biden-limiting the choice to maybe a few people who have at least "pass the smell test" credentials? How many of the people he has narrowed the search to based on race and gender are seen as brilliant and leading legal minds?
As long as it ****s colored.

Manchin is on record to not vote for a lib justice. You can bet Sinema is the same. So, to be sure a justice is not a lib, you have to go with a con. You know it won't be easy. Even appointing a lib will hardly affect the current con ideology majority of the court.

Moderate, a Moderate track record of rulings is the winning strategy here. Someone who comes with no agenda poses no threat to either side is the only type of person who will be confirmed. Of course, J. Biden will make the wrong choice yet again.

Disagree. 538 explains it well.

Based on past judicial confirmation votes, [Manchin and Sinema voting no is] unlikely.

The Senate has been remarkably efficient at passing President Biden’s judicial nominees so far: During the first year of his presidency, 42 of Biden’s district-court and appeals-court nominees have been confirmed — more than any president since John F. Kennedy.

And crucially, Democrats have been united behind those nominees. The next time a Democratic senator votes no on one of Biden’s judicial picks, it will be the first time. That means that even Manchin and Sinema have 100 percent track records of supporting Biden’s judicial nominees.

I'm unable to find the evidence of what I said that "Manchin is on record to not vote for a lib justice." as I recalled so. I just learned of Manchin's recent comments, leaving open the possibility of a lib justice, one of which is the following quote:

"Sen. Joe Manchin III on Thursday said he was open to replacing retiring Supreme Court Justice Stephen G. Breyer with a liberal jurist, provided the nominee was committed to the rule of law."

Manchin says his vote for liberal nominee to Supreme Court is possible - Washington Times

Manchin, more than being a Dem, is a conservative. "committed to the rule of law." is what I often here from cons as what describes cons, and not libs. So, I'm not so sure. Nonetheless, I think the evidence more supports your conclusion.

bitching before anyone from the GOP has done anything? do you support the quota vision of Biden-limiting the choice to maybe a few people who have at least "pass the smell test" credentials? How many of the people he has narrowed the search to based on race and gender are seen as brilliant and leading legal minds?
Yup, treat them like they do what you do.

Stop them for what they might do, for what you would imagine them to do.

Ask me, I know what I'm talking about.

The Republicans are out. They may complain about Biden, but when the rubber meets the road, I hope they will remember who is off the road.

I'd rather smell Demoncrap than Reprobate who lick the can.

I'm sure he can find a good Candidate.

Done anything?

First they ruled eight years before the Great Depression (1929). Then they cut taxes for the rich and said, "We're going to borrow it." Then they hand over and economic crisis because of their tax cut and say, "No more borrowing, No more stimulus, "failed stimulus" no more education, no highways bill, no minimum wage, no progress unless we're in power, no Democrat legislation; it all sits on the table, let's repeal Obamacare and leave them nothing, how are you going to pay for Obamacare, Let's cut taxes for the rich again."

And that was their mistake.

Because I know how.

So let's see if I know how to influence a midterm.

Done anything?

First they ruled eight years before the Great Depression (1929). Then they cut taxes for the rich and said, "We're going to borrow it." Then they hand over and economic crisis because of their tax cut and say, "No more borrowing, No more stimulus, "failed stimulus" no more education, no highways bill, no minimum wage, no progress unless we're in power, no Democrat legislation; it all sits on the table, let's repeal Obamacare and leave them nothing, how are you going to pay for Obamacare, Let's cut taxes for the rich again."

And that was their mistake.

Because I know how.

So let's see if I know how to influence a midterm.
the rich pay a higher proportion of the income tax now than at any time in the last 70 years. The poor and middle class pay a lower rate than at any time in that period. You confuse rates with share of the FIT burden

the rich pay a higher proportion of the income tax now than at any time in the last 70 years. The poor and middle class pay a lower rate than at any time in that period. You confuse rates with share of the FIT burden
None of that matters.

What matters is that a tax break was given to people who didn't need it on the credit card.

Which did not pay for itself.

Which was an exact repeat of 2001.

The position this puts us in is bankruptcy and the rich pulling out.

I don't like the feeling in my temporal field, so I figure, let's see what the other guys will do.

None of that matters.

What matters is that a tax break was given to people who didn't need it on the credit card.

Which did not pay for itself.

Which was an exact repeat of 2001.
who are you to say what people need? that sort of mindset is disturbing. You could argue that anyone who makes more than the poverty level of subsistence level needs that excess less than those below the poverty level. Tax breaks are not expenditures, You apparently believe that the money first belongs to the government.

who are you to say what people need? that sort of mindset is disturbing. You could argue that anyone who makes more than the poverty level of subsistence level needs that excess less than those below the poverty level. Tax breaks are not expenditures, You apparently believe that the money first belongs to the government.
That's what Jesus Christ said.

Without the Government we'd be a bunch of tribes with warlords.

That's what Jesus Christ said.

Without the Government we'd be a bunch of tribes with warlords.
I am agnostic,, one can use the sayings of christ to justify just about anything

I think republicans should smile and confirm whoever Biden appoints. I mean, unless something legit drops.

The GOP needs to behave like adults, in contrast to how Democrats have behaved. America will see the difference.

and vote.

I think republicans should smile and confirm whoever Biden appoints. I mean, unless something legit drops.

The GOP needs to behave like adults, in contrast to how Democrats have behaved. America will see the difference.

and vote.
I agree-at least two of the women mentioned have strong credentials.

I am agnostic,, one can use the sayings of christ to justify just about anything
I'm not trying to justify anything, I'm just answering your thought.

Money, belongs to the Government, you belong to the Government, you belong to the people, from the Government the people have demanded rights.

I've always loved paying taxes, but I never had to pay more than the lowest rate.

Taxes make the whole machine go, what kind of business are you going to have when the Government goes bankrupt, or hyperinflation sets in, or in the next Great Depression? Do you hope to buy up stocks and land? Do you need cheap labor?

That depends on what one considers to be a “more liberal justice”. To many, that means a justice who disregards what the Constitution actually says and judges a law (or case) based on what they personally feel the Constitution should say (or mean) about the matter before them.
The Heller ruling was one of the most liberal in modern times.

The Heller ruling was one of the most liberal in modern times.

Not really, since it refused to address current bans on “military style” guns and “high capacity” magazines. The phrase “guns in common use for lawful purposes” means “guns as currently allowed”. It also did not address the common separation of the 2A rights to keep (buy or possess) and bear (carry) into two distinct rights, the latter often being converted into a mere state issued privilege allowed only after taking classes, passing tests and paying fees.

I'm not trying to justify anything, I'm just answering your thought.

Money, belongs to the Government, you belong to the Government, you belong to the people, from the Government the people have demanded rights.

I've always loved paying taxes, but I never had to pay more than the lowest rate.

Taxes make the whole machine go, what kind of business are you going to have when the Government goes bankrupt, or hyperinflation sets in, or in the next Great Depression? Do you hope to buy up stocks and land? Do you need cheap labor?
right there my bullshit detector spun so fast that the entire machine achieved orbit

Biden and the Democrats should not tarry here. Don't do what the GOP did with Amy Coney Barrett (a travesty). But move ahead with determination and resoluteness.
As long as Manchin and Sinema are onboard, Republicans are powerless to prevent the Dems from putting the candidate of their choice on the bench.

No negotiations or compromise with Trumplicans required. 👍
Liberal Justice Sonia Sotomayor (67/diabetic) should also consider retirement.
An understandable, but misguided concern. Sotomayor has lived with type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes since age 7, and is good health.

Diabetes related medical technology has come a long way over just the past two decades, greatly improving the quality and length of life for folks like Sotomayor and my own wife, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 21.

With the development of insulin pumps (roughly the size/shape of an old pager) and continuous glucose monitors (CGM), type 1 diabetics can manage their diabetes better than ever before.

right there my bullshit detector spun so fast that the entire machine achieved orbit
No, really, it was a great program to pay into, and it turns out, it paid off for me, but even then, the insurance was great.

What I don't like is that overtime puts you into a higher tax bracket.

How much money do you think the RNC should invest in "sexual harassment claims"?
They could probably find someone who will make up bullshit claims for really cheap.

Do unto others as they do unto you? Yeah I can see how that mindset will help this nation prosper! :unsure:
If republicans do not show that they have no problem returning the favor then democrats will continue the bogus accusations and other nonsense.

You mean, stand by helplessly as the nominees are steamrollered through?
Yeah, agreed...they should stand there helplessly as we steamroller them through, and you know what?
We should also deny any incoming Republican's nominees from now till the end of time, because Mitch said it was okay.
I mean have people falsely accuse the nominee of wrong doing and tear that person apart in the media.

Moderate, a Moderate track record of rulings is the winning strategy here. Someone who comes with no agenda poses no threat to either side is the only type of person who will be confirmed. Of course, J. Biden will make the wrong choice yet again.

"Biden will make the wrong choice yet again"

What "wrong choice" are you speaking of that you say Biden has made once in the past that he will make "yet again"?

"Biden will make the wrong choice yet again"

What "wrong choice" are you speaking of that you say Biden has made once in the past that he will make "yet again"?

Meaning he will most likely select an activist or closet activist who will have no chance of being confirmed.

It's a mistake he's made with several appointees.

Back
Top Bottom