• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Repeal the 16th Amendment? (income tax)

Repeal the income tax?

• Repeal and replace with "The Fair Tax"

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Repeal and replace with National "Sales Tax"

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Repeal and replace with "Value Added Tax"

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Replace with "Flat Income Tax"

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Other (please elaborate)

Votes: 26 54.2%

• Total voters
the post contains the usual idiocy from the left. Its people like you who want to keep others enslaved.

Actually, it was a completely accurate statement. We had this fight that you on the FAR RIGHT want to keep waging about a strong central government 150 years ago. Lee surrendered and the Confederacy is no more. You need to get over it.

Turtle - you are a smart and educated man. You know darn well there is no cost of citizenship or its benefits.

taxes are the price we pay for civilization

Oliver Wendell Holmes

and you have yet to tell me why some people should be excused from paying their share just because they have votes

Actually, it was a completely accurate statement. We had this fight that you on the FAR RIGHT want to keep waging about a strong central government 150 years ago. Lee surrendered and the Confederacy is no more. You need to get over it.

More idiocy, my great great great grandfather was the first Union hero of the Civil war. Its you democrats that kept blacks as slaves back then and are keeping them on the plantation today.

taxes are the price we pay for civilization

Oliver Wendell Holmes

and you have yet to tell me why some people should be excused from paying their share just because they have votes

I have repeatedly took the position that ALL earners from dollar ONE should pay federal income tax.

I have repeatedly took the position that ALL earners from dollar ONE should pay federal income tax.

Yes, its one of your more endearing positions. Now everyone should pay the same rate so one group cannot-through superior voting numbers-demand others to pay a higher rate.

I don't think you all are gonna like what I got to say about Medicare and Social Security. Oh well. They need to be cut to zero and the programs eliminated. If you want medical care you pay for it. You want retirement or disability you pay for it. The only charity I want to giving to is the one at the strip club.:) As far taxes go the government should get no more then 10% total however its collected. 10% total including state and local taxes. Thats all taxes totaled = 10%. If its good enough for god its good enough for government. The best way as far as I am concerned would be a sales tax on all new goods and services. The local government would take their cut 40% of the total take, they would pay the state 60% of the total take, the state would then pay the Feds 30% of the total take. This way the locals have the state by the short and curlies, and states have the feds by the short and curlies.:wink: Thats my take. Cheers.

What's with the huge font? Really, dial it back a couple of notches.

I would suggest the absolute removal of the Federal Income tax. Reduce government spending and privatize the needed government agencies to the lowest bidder. Make each community responsible for itself and accountable to itself. Law enforcement and court agencies no higher than State level. Remove our national army from all foreign soil. But hey, an FMA can dream right :)

I dont know if any one has touched on this but isnt the income tax a violation of the 14th because if half the country doesnt pay incomtax then they arent the same in the eyes of government as the rest of us right?

I prefer taxing the several states directly, proportional to their congressional representation AND to include a minimum 5% payment to reduce any outstanding national debt. I would specify that the 90% of ACTUAL federal spending of the prior year be the minimum basis for the current year's tax bill (to further limit the congressional urge for "emergency" deficit spending). The bill would be tallied based on the approved federal budget total pased by both houses of congress (but no less than 90% of what was actually spent in the prior year) and then divided by 535, the total number of voting members of congress. Each state would then have to pay 1/535 of the total for each of their allotted (no pass for a vacant seat) members of the senate and house of representatives. Each state would then be responsible for paying that FULL amount to the treasury, within 30 days. It would then be left to the states as to how they come up with those funds; they may decide to tax income, sales, personal property, pets, real estate or simply rob their citzens at gunpoint in the street (just kidding on that last option). If this was done then federal spending would be far, far less in very short order.

Last edited:
Should we not only abolish the Income Tax, but make it impossible to have it come back?

Please take a look at the options and state what you think.

The Fair Tax - In short: National Sales tax on all NEW goods and services purchased by consumers; advanced refund of all taxes paid up to poverty level for residents. Administrated by state, no IRS audits or filing, No deductions for anyone.

National Flat Tax - Sales tax applied to goods & services

Value Added Tax - "sales" tax added everytime a product changes from one person to another

I ask this because I think because I feel our current system is completely corrupt and unsalvageble, primarily due to the fact that neither side can trust their or the other sides politicians to actually "Fix" it without putting in their own rules on how they believe it should operate.

I used to be for a flat tax; but I don't want to see the poor suffer as they would under it, and then need additional social programs to compensate. Why not let them keep their money to begin with?

The Fair Tax has some rules, but I feel is the simplist tax plan that will accomplish the most good, remain difficult to manipulate, protect the lowest earner, and apply the same rules to everyone. No more financial discrimination.

Please feel free to express thoughts and ideas. I'm looking for solutions; not arguements.

I just think that the 16th amendment is hogwash. The government shouldn't be able to steal you hard earned cash for any reason. Mainly because the government is corrupted and spends your cash on things you don't want, can't use, or going to politicians pay checks. And even if our government weren't bloated with overspending and our treasury filled with gold, this wouldnt be ok because there is no acceptable reason to steal my money. I worked, and they say they deserve my money? They can go to hell! If the community needs a bridge that bad, a corporation will build one an make it a tolling bridge to make their money back in no time. I don't have a problem with that because they provided a service and I paid them for it.

The only problem with my statement is how are we going to fund the army and national guard? I don't know.
Hmmm... It would seem that no taxes at all would create an anarchy. there would be no funding of government, military, or public services like law enforcement and fire department. Without the government, there would be no food and drug administration among other things. the U.S.A would crumble into pieces. Well, thats if there is no federal tax and no state tax. if we kept state tax, it might work. maybe if the states sent a portion of their tax revenue to the federal government, we could maintain the bare essentials such as military and officials.

disregard the above rambling. I guess I'm just a bit torn on the subject. Regardless, the govt. needs to cut spending by nine tenths. I guess i really didn't say much in this post at all.

In any case, I just don't think the federal govt. should be able to tax the income of the common man.

Back
Top Bottom