• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rehydrating the Grand Canyon

If it were possible, would you support rehydrating the Colorado River?

• Yes. Great idea and would become an important water source for the South West

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Bad idea

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
I'd support the idea, but only if we simultaneously emptied the great lakes.

I'm with you on this. There's too much water in the Great Lakes. It must be redistributed to the less fortunate waterways by our government.

I'm sorry.... is the Colorado River dehydrated?

:2razz: Bone dry! Have you seen it - it's like - 1,000 feet below flood level!

The river is quite substantial, size wise, when compared to rivers such as the one near me. The sheer scale of everything throws things off. I guess people see the massive 1,000 foot cliff faces and crumbling limestone and think there's a serious problem.

Taking water from the Ohio valley and piping it to Cali. Wars were begun over less.

I say use the Pacific Ocean. Its not going to run out.

I was on a cruise this summer and all of our drinking water was desalinized sea water. It had a VERY slight fish tank taste but I actually liked it in a crazy way. It was like water having a slight hint of sushi :lamo. I really did like it, seriously. I drank more water on the ship than I do at home.

If desalinization could be done on a massive scale inexpensively, we've saved the South West and probably created some big industries in tourism and agriculture. Something is going to happen; the need always drives the technology. If not, it won't be long before people will be forced to move.

BTW: Georgia and Tennessee are in conflict right now over who owns the rights to a river near their border that both states need to survive on. Thankfully its not armed conflict. :shock:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-on-a-georgia-tennessee-water-conflict-video/

Last edited:
Taking water from the Ohio valley and piping it to Cali. Wars were begun over less.

Oh Boy ! Couldn't it though... In the west, I've seen neighbors near shooting wars over water rights.. :duel :shoot

But, undeterred, I have brainstormed :thinking this idea for a few decades. Two or three collection points below the three rivers confluence ending south of St. Louis in the Miss. River could alleviate the periodic major flooding that occurs; then sending it West to possibly recharge the aquifers; it may solve or ease several situations. The water transfer would only take place during flooding periods...... 'scuse me while I get another beer to clarify my thinking on this...:lamo

Have a fun day Calamity

Thom Paine

Post script: ah, forget Cali. ... they can de-salinate. Utah, Arizona, and Nevada will soon need more than Colorado can provide.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom