• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Recreational Use of MJ Causes Brain Damage

Could be. I don't know about that. There are quite a number of 'failures to launch' and 'college degree and debt while living in parents basement without a job'.

Yeah, best to give them some sort of opiate of the people, right? Makes them all the easier to manage.

Or - perhaps it's the budding entrepreneurial incentive many need.

:mrgreen:

This is the second thread on the same study

Could be. I don't know about that. There are quite a number of 'failures to launch' and 'college degree and debt while living in parents basement without a job'.

Yeah, best to give them some sort of opiate of the people, right? Makes them all the easier to manage.
And this is directly attributable to marijuana use?

The only way marijuana can kill

Deadly != Dangerous

You keep trying to use them interchangeably to prove your point, but it doesn't work. Something not being deadly doesn't mean it can't be dangerous

The petitions for legal MJ are now at 200,000 signatures in AZ, they needed about 150,000, and they will continue to get signatures till they reach 225,000. Polls are looking good for legal MJ in AZ!

CA is the big prize, if recreational use of cannabis is given the thumbs up by CA voters, there will be no going back. Though the horse was well and truly out of the stable when the Feds laid off the States which permit the use by 21 and older such as CO.

CA is the big prize, if recreational use of cannabis is given the thumbs up by CA voters, there will be no going back. Though the horse was well and truly out of the stable when the Feds laid off the States which permit the use by 21 and older such as CO.

You mean when the executive branch decided to no longer enforce the laws they took an oath to enforce?

And this is directly attributable to marijuana use?

Umm. No. The sequence was:

That's the vast majority of anyone under about 35 years old these days isn't it?
Regardless of pot or not?

I took this to mean in the general population and not just pot smokers. I guess it wasn't obvious from my reply.

The symptom of 'failure to launch' isn't just due to pot smoking, but more so, I'm convinced, of the poor job prospects in the economy in general, and for young adult in particular. Maybe the new graduates aren't learning enough of the right sort of stuff that's in demand?

The new graduates situation is most unfortunate. It'd be much better if the new graduates had ample good job opportunities awaiting them at graduation.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say:
  • processed sugar
  • processed salt
  • marijuana
  • alcohol
  • tobacco
But again, a lot of this harm has to do with excess consumption. I don't know anyone who'd be against a glass of wine or beer or two in the evenings, where as eating a pound of candy every day is sure to get you early on set diabetes.

The missing thing here is the consumption metric. Trying to define this in the terms of absolutes is pretty much hopeless.

Suffice it to say that there isn't a single pleasurable thing in life that can't be taken the extremes where it's harmful.

There has always been two camps, one puts tobacco on top, another heroin on top.

Here is the best over all view

Addictive Properties of Popular Drugs | Drug War Facts

I debate crack and heroin as being more addictive than cigarettes. I have walked people out of heroin addiction and had the experience of quitting alcohol and cocaine.....it was 15 times easier than quitting the other drugs.

In the end, the real problem is not with any of them, but with over the counter and prescription medications.

True in part but MJ is the lesser of the two evils when it comes to health impact, crime and auto accidents.

That's your opinion

The legality of distinct psychoactive chemicals isn't based on a subjective comparison to a totally different substance so WHY do people continue to make that comparison.?

Or - perhaps it's the budding entrepreneurial incentive many need.

:mrgreen:

Yeah, there might be something to that. LOL.

Open up a recreational cannabis center. Invite all their friends to stop by for a toke.
Oh wait. They ain't got any jobs nor any money. Hmm. Maybe not such a good idea.

Bull ****.

Alcohol claims more lives than all the other drugs combined.

The right simply refuses top come into the 20th century.

I'm not even going to debate this. It will be legal here soon so I do not give a **** what new fear the right wants to cook up.

The legalization of distinct psychoactive chemical compounds like THC has nothing to do with a subjective comparison to alcohol.

There has always been two camps, one puts tobacco on top, another heroin on top.

Here is the best over all view

Addictive Properties of Popular Drugs | Drug War Facts

I debate crack and heroin as being more addictive than cigarettes. I have walked people out of heroin addiction and had the experience of quitting alcohol and cocaine.....it was 15 times easier than quitting the other drugs.

In the end, the real problem is not with any of them, but with over the counter and prescription medications.

Well good on you for having beaten your demons into submission, or at least control.

When you say 'over the counter and prescription medications', to which are you specifically referring to?
The first thing that sprang to mind was opioids, but I know those are most certainly prescription, so that can't be it.
(What do I need to be cautious of?)

That's your opinion

The legality of distinct psychoactive chemicals isn't based on a subjective comparison to a totally different substance so WHY do people continue to make that comparison.?
Oh I don't know, maybe because they are both recreational drugs used by Americans. Now if you want to just limit it to pot that is fine, let me ask this, why does it matter to you? Do you smoke it? If you think it is so bad for you then don't, I will assume you do not drink smoke or eat fatty foods either. That said, that is all your business, now if someone else wants to do the complete opposite of your choices that should be their choice, enough said.

Well good on you for having beaten your demons into submission, or at least control.

When you say 'over the counter and prescription medications', to which are you specifically referring to?
The first thing that sprang to mind was opioids, but I know those are most certainly prescription, so that can't be it.
(What do I need to be cautious of?)

In prescription yes, opiates. Canada and the United States have become pain averse. Break a finger, boom here's some pain killers. Long ago I did something incredibly stupid and broke some ribs falling off a mountain. I refuse pain killers because of my addictive nature. In the follow up x-rays, the doc was surprised. "your ribs have completely knitted! What did you do?" It turns out you heal faster without them.

The other problem are non-prescription or over the counter drugs, which can be refined into a mood altering substance [No, I don't know how to do it]. This problem is aggravated by massive shop lifting as street people make drug money by selling it to refiners.

I doubt there is anything on the shelf that can harm you without being refined, but know this, in AA I know and have walked with guys addicted to Nyquill. As long as you are following directions you're probably OK. There is another sleep aid, I forget the name, but there is a serious problem with it. I no longer work in that area, I am working with hard core crack and heroin users where everything else has failed..it's different there.

Me, I see my doc first and see what he says. My breathing gets plugged up now and then, that's what Sudafeds are for. But I learned that a large dose of vitamin C works even better.

Last edited:
Running to the shelter of Mother's little helper

Deadly != Dangerous

You keep trying to use them interchangeably to prove your point, but it doesn't work. Something not being deadly doesn't mean it can't be dangerous

Sugar is dangerous, alcohol is dangerous, putting a plugged in toaster into your bathtub full of water is deadly..etc.

Marijuana...not dangerous.

War on drugs...dangerous

This is the second thread on the same study

Of course it is, Fenton got completely owned last time and disproved, so he starts a new thread....yippee!

In prescription yes, opiates. Canada and the United States have become pain averse. Break a finger, boom here's some pain killers. Long ago I did something incredibly stupid and broke some ribs falling off a mountain. I refuse pain killers because of my addictive nature. In the follow up x-rays, the doc was surprised. "your ribs have completely knitted! What did you do?" It turns out you heal faster without them.

The other problem are non-prescription or over the counter drugs, which can be refined into a mood altering substance [No, I don't know how to do it]. This problem is aggravated by massive shop lifting as street people make drug money by selling it to refiners.

I doubt there is anything on the shelf that can harm you without being refined, but know this, in AA I know and have walked with guys addicted to Nyquill. As long as you are following directions you're probably OK. There is another sleep aid, I forget the name, but there is a serious problem with it. I no longer work in that area, I am working with hard core crack and heroin users where everything else has failed..it's different there.

Me, I see my doc first and see what he says. My breathing gets plugged up now and then, that's what Sudafeds are for. But I learned that a large dose of vitamin C works even better.

Little worry then. I try to limit my intake of any medications to the bare necessities. Takes quite a headache for me to take even one Tylenol, probably silly but it seems to me that the only difference between mediation and poison is dosage, so . . . . ;)

That said, it probably won't matter, as I smoke (but not too much), and I love my beer (again, not too much), and those'll probably be my undoing.

Little worry then. I try to limit my intake of any medications to the bare necessities. Takes quite a headache for me to take even one Tylenol, probably silly but it seems to me that the only difference between mediation and poison is dosage, so . . . . ;)

That said, it probably won't matter, as I smoke (but not too much), and I love my beer (again, not too much), and those'll probably be my undoing.

Each time you light one, remember you are erasing about 6 minutes from your life = one pack, about two hours

Each time you light one, remember you are erasing about 6 minutes from your life = one pack, about two hours

Yeah, I've heard that before. I figure it's the ones at the end that aren't so good anyway. ;)

Casual Marijuana Use Linked to Brain Abnormalities: Northwestern University News

Ya think ? But hey, its not only a " safe "alternative to alcohol, its q healthy alternative alcohol

I honestly wish it did.

I picked up marijuana in no small part because i wanted to use it to help forget. Remembering every excruciating mistake you've ever made makes you miserable. I wanted to be happy.

Didn't work, at all. I can still run metaphorical circles around other engineers with 150+ IQs.

Oh well, at least i found something that i enjoy.

Yeah, I've heard that before. I figure it's the ones at the end that aren't so good anyway. ;)

Allow me to share the details of later-stage cigarette addiction. I would go out, work, not smoke, but at the end of the day I would stop and buy a pack, and I had to have American smokes, Marlboros if I could get them. I would smoke a half a pack that evening, then throw the of the pack away. Then do the same thing the next day, and the next.

When I could get a few days back-to-back I was sneaking butts out of ash trays on people's patios where I worked. I even snagged one or two out of the gutter.

After being on a quit smoking forum for a few years, I learned that my pattern wasn't so bad.

The other thing I will share with you is that with each cigarette you smoke, you increase the addiction and make it harder to quit. I was officially listed in the "hopeless" category as it had been near 50 years, had tried more than 6 times and failed and was the perfect ratio to keep going - a pack a day. Which by the way is where they want you, any more and you die too soon.

Yeah, pass on the smoke and get another couple of years in the Old Folks Home, Just Perfect. Pass the blunt this way.............

Back
Top Bottom