• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Recreational Use of MJ Causes Brain Damage

Allow me to share the details of later-stage cigarette addiction. I would go out, work, not smoke, but at the end of the day I would stop and buy a pack, and I had to have American smokes, Marlboros if I could get them. I would smoke a half a pack that evening, then throw the of the pack away. Then do the same thing the next day, and the next.

When I could get a few days back-to-back I was sneaking butts out of ash trays on people's patios where I worked. I even snagged one or two out of the gutter.

After being on a quit smoking forum for a few years, I learned that my pattern wasn't so bad.

The other thing I will share with you is that with each cigarette you smoke, you increase the addiction and make it harder to quit. I was officially listed in the "hopeless" category as it had been near 50 years, had tried more than 6 times and failed and was the perfect ratio to keep going - a pack a day. Which by the way is where they want you, any more and you die too soon.

Hmm. At least I don't feel s bad now, as I'm only smoking around 10 a day. Sometimes a few more. Sometimes a few less.

I've ditched the commercial smokes in favor of roll your own. Not only cheaper, but fewer chemicals as well. These things will go out if you leave them lit in the ashtray. Commercial smokes will burn down to the butt all by themselves.

Allow me to share the details of later-stage cigarette addiction. I would go out, work, not smoke, but at the end of the day I would stop and buy a pack, and I had to have American smokes, Marlboros if I could get them. I would smoke a half a pack that evening, then throw the of the pack away. Then do the same thing the next day, and the next.

When I could get a few days back-to-back I was sneaking butts out of ash trays on people's patios where I worked. I even snagged one or two out of the gutter.

After being on a quit smoking forum for a few years, I learned that my pattern wasn't so bad.

The other thing I will share with you is that with each cigarette you smoke, you increase the addiction and make it harder to quit. I was officially listed in the "hopeless" category as it had been near 50 years, had tried more than 6 times and failed and was the perfect ratio to keep going - a pack a day. Which by the way is where they want you, any more and you die too soon.

I quit by starting out smoking what I normally did, a pack a day, then the next day I took out one smoke and tore it up and the next day I removed two and so on and so on, before I got to the end of 30 days I had quit and while I missed them for a while I never went back.

Hmm. At least I don't feel s bad now, as I'm only smoking around 10 a day. Sometimes a few more. Sometimes a few less.

I've ditched the commercial smokes in favor of roll your own. Not only cheaper, but fewer chemicals as well. These things will go out if you leave them lit in the ashtray. Commercial smokes will burn down to the butt all by themselves.

They are designed that way. They are also designed with additives to increase the temperature higher so your taste buds get a seriously charged hit on the first puff.

They are also designed with additives that deliberately begin reducing the impact, so that you smoke more. I am not certain that canned tobacco is not chemically treated.

Oh Fenton...answer me this: How many people have ever died from an overdose of marijuana?

true confession
i have spent the past 45 years trying

That's your opinion

The legality of distinct psychoactive chemicals isn't based on a subjective comparison to a totally different substance so WHY do people continue to make that comparison.?

Well, it is the opinion of the Supreme Court of Canada that marijuana is a medicine following several months of deliberation. So, your claim based on an old study you've tried to flog before holds zero weight. It is one study and subject to review, whereas the SCOC heard from hundreds of experts and was presented with hundreds of studies that show the complete opposite of what you are trying to flog.

I suggest you get used to it, as it will be legal all across Canada in a year and more and more so in the US. There is overwhelming evidence in favor. The game is up, the lies and propaganda about "Demon Weed" are yesterday's toilet paper, no one is listening.

At the end of the party, the drinker says "I am OK, now give me the ****ing keys"?

The stoner is likely to say "Hey guys, I'm really ripped right now, and driving would be really confusing so we'll have to wait a bit."
IMMEDIATELY followed by the question
whatdoyagottoeat?

marijuana isn't harmless, but it's a lot less harmful than other legal drugs.

'Skunk' cannabis can cause 'significant' brain damage | Health News | Lifestyle | The Independent

Yes, someone disagrees with your position on Marijuana legalization so its " this **** again ".

So you support anarchy ?

The problem with " leaving individuals to be in charge of what they do to themselves " is that their self destructive decisions can and do impact those around them and society in general.

They're not making those choices in a vacuum and surprise, there's two sides to the legalization issue whether you like it or not

Their " right " to pickle their brains should stop at my right of wanting to raise my family in a Society not inundated with people under the influence of powerful psychoactive chemicals.

Do I or anyone who's against legalization get a say in what kind of Community I get to raise my family in or does the addicts poor choices supersede everything ?

I notice with your "self destructive decisions can and do impact those around them and society in general" ignored a call to ban alcohol. Something like 10K people die every single year from drunk driving and with your logic you must support prohibition.

I honestly wish it did.

I picked up marijuana in no small part because i wanted to use it to help forget. Remembering every excruciating mistake you've ever made makes you miserable. I wanted to be happy.

Didn't work, at all. I can still run metaphorical circles around other engineers with 150+ IQs.

Oh well, at least i found something that i enjoy.

Oh Ive never wanted to forget my past mistakes or painful memories.

Those experiences added with all your good memories and successes are part of what makes you you.

I think you should own those experiences, value those experiences and also know that people, ALL people are damaged to some degree.

Being fallible is one of our defining characteristics and happiness isn't a destination , its just stops along the way in a bi-polar journey that everyone goes through to varying degrees.

This notion that we need to monkey with our bodies biochemistry everytime we experience emotional pain is utterly destructive but Pharmaceuticals need to sell pills I guess.

I think we've been sold a unrealistic and unattainable definition of " normal ", that experiencing pain and sadness means your sick or abnormal

Its bull ****.

Of-course this is just my personal take on the issue and there are people out there that need help.

Well, it is the opinion of the Supreme Court of Canada that marijuana is a medicine following several months of deliberation. So, your claim based on an old study you've tried to flog before holds zero weight. It is one study and subject to review, whereas the SCOC heard from hundreds of experts and was presented with hundreds of studies that show the complete opposite of what you are trying to flog.

I suggest you get used to it, as it will be legal all across Canada in a year and more and more so in the US. There is overwhelming evidence in favor. The game is up, the lies and propaganda about "Demon Weed" are yesterday's toilet paper, no one is listening.

Ohio voted down legalizing MJ not long ago. I talked to my Brother in Law who has family in Dayton and asked him why it didn't pass

He said they wanted no part of what Colorado had become thanks to legalization

Ohio put it to a vote which gave people like me who oppose legalization a voice and they voted it down.

Those who oppose it have a right not to raise their family in a society inundated with people under the influence.

I notice with your "self destructive decisions can and do impact those around them and society in general" ignored a call to ban alcohol. Something like 10K people die every single year from drunk driving and with your logic you must support prohibition.

Yes, lets flood our communities with as many harmful psychoactive chemical compounds as possible by legalizing MJ

Destabilizing our communities and lowering the bar is the way forward apparently

Sorry, Im a Conservative not a Libertarian. I think " right " to pickle your brain stops at my right of wanting to raise my family in a community not inundated with people under the influence.

Ohio voted down legalizing MJ not long ago. I talked to my Brother in Law who has family in Dayton and asked him why it didn't pass

Ohio put it to a vote which gave people like me who oppose legalization a voice and they voted it down.

Those who oppose it have a right not to raise their family in a society inundated with people under the influence.

Wow. Your BIL is the official spokesperson for Ohio? You must be so proud. :rolleyes:

as i recall there was opposition by pro-legalization advocates who disagreed with the 10 store monopoly that was going to be established via the decriminalization act

Those experiences added with all your good memories and successes are part of what makes you you.

I think you should own those experiences, value those experiences and also know that people, ALL people are damaged to some degree.

Being fallible is one of our defining characteristics and happiness isn't a destination , its just stops along the way in a bi-polar journey that everyone goes through to varying degrees.

This notion that we need to monkey with our bodies biochemistry everytime we experience emotional pain is utterly destructive but Pharmaceuticals need to sell pills I guess.

I think we've been sold a unrealistic and unattainable definition of " normal ", that experiencing pain and sadness means your sick or abnormal

Its bull ****.

Of-course this is just my personal take on the issue and there are people out there that need help.

Hey Fenton, how many people have died from overdosing on marijuana?

as i recall there was opposition by pro-legalization advocates who disagreed with the 10 store monopoly that was going to be established via the decriminalization act

And the fact that it would be integrated into the state constitution. But I guess I was mistaken, and it was because the official spokesperson for the state didn't want it. Who knew? :shrug:

Its bull ****.

It is paralyzing and time consuming to have every single experience forcibly recall numerous memories. There is a difference between being able to remember something that happened and being unable to restrain the compulsion to agonize over what has already been remembered.

'Skunk' cannabis can cause 'significant' brain damage | Health News | Lifestyle | The Independent

Yes, someone disagrees with your position on Marijuana legalization so its " this **** again ".

So you support anarchy ?

The problem with " leaving individuals to be in charge of what they do to themselves " is that their self destructive decisions can and do impact those around them and society in general.

They're not making those choices in a vacuum and surprise, there's two sides to the legalization issue whether you like it or not

Their " right " to pickle their brains should stop at my right of wanting to raise my family in a Society not inundated with people under the influence of powerful psychoactive chemicals.

Do I or anyone who's against legalization get a say in what kind of Community I get to raise my family in or does the addicts poor choices supersede everything ?

Any study that uses skunk in its name for cannibus should not be taken seriously, since skunk is not a scientific word at all, but rather a street name that broadly brushes mid to high grade weed. Also the studies claim was on white cell matter and psychosis, which alchahol does as well with greater frequency.

So should we ban beer for causing brain damage?

It is paralyzing and time consuming to have every single experience forcibly recall numerous memories. There is a difference between being able to remember something that happened and being unable to restrain the compulsion to agonize over what has already been remembered.

No one should be expected to bear the emotional. weight of past mistakes over and over again.

I can remember past mistakes but try not to attach any emotional significance to them. Doesn't matter if I was accountable for those mistakes at the time or I got away with something.

I try to owe as little as possible to the past when it comes to how much of a screw up I used to be.

We're only human, fallible and imperfect and we should take that into consideration and forgive oursleves every so often.

Some memories can be bitter sweet. I remember how I felt when my Grandfather died, but those memories lead to memories of his sense of humor, and his wisdom.

I wouldn't want those memories wiped away.

Any study that uses skunk in its name for cannibus should not be taken seriously, since skunk is not a scientific word at all, but rather a street name that broadly brushes mid to high grade weed. Also the studies claim was on white cell matter and psychosis, which alchahol does as well with greater frequency.

So should we ban beer for causing brain damage?

King's College London - Uncovering the link between cannabis and psychosis

Skunk is the term they're using for grades of Marijuana with high levels of THC.

They're not talking about the weed that was available back in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Skunk is the term they're using for grades of Marijuana with high levels of THC.

They're not talking about the weed that was available back in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

They had strong weed then, just not as widespread as today with hyrdoponics and advanced growing techniques, then the strobgest weed would have been in ideal growing environments like jamaica and hawaii.

And skunk is still not a scientific term, Mid grade can qualify as skunk, heck even low grade can with a strong enough smell. Using the term skunk to classify marijuana grades shows the people conducting the study have no clue as to what they are studying. The correct term would have been high yield or high thc. Infact in marijuana there is more than just thc, and growing conditions affect canniboid levels for all of them, not just thc.

Your ignorance on the subject pretty much precludes you from being taken seriously.

Skunk weed has been around since at least the 70's, and merely refers to strains of cannabis which have a skunk-like odor. It is not necessarily a reliable indicator of potency. ;)

Oh fyi just read through your link and it claimed skunk had higher thc than hash, which is the dumbest thing I have ever read. Hash is in solid form near pure thc, and in liquid form pure thc, so how is a bud made up of more than thc going to have more thc than pure thc. It demonstrates again the researchers have no clue about what they are researching.

They had strong weed then, just not as widespread as today with hyrdoponics and advanced growing techniques, then the strobgest weed would have been in ideal growing environments like jamaica and hawaii.

And skunk is still not a scientific term, Mid grade can qualify as skunk, heck even low grade can with a strong enough smell. Using the term skunk to classify marijuana grades shows the people conducting the study have no clue as to what they are studying. The correct term would have been high yield or high thc. Infact in marijuana there is more than just thc, and growing conditions affect canniboid levels for all of them, not just thc.
Genetics determines, for the most part, the potency of weed.

Genetics determines, for the most part, the potency of weed.

There is alot more to it though, genetics make it better, but people then were growing killer weed albeit not on par with the killer weed now, it was not any low grade.

The plant like most plants grows better or worse off many factors like temp, humidity, ph balance in water and soil. light cycles etc. But for example the strain train wreck, I have had some that would knock me down, and others that i would not put far above dirt weed, growing environment makes a massive difference.

Back
Top Bottom