• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rape Culture: Brock Turner gets Six Months

Eh. Same old, same old. First off, are we even getting the whole story here? What was the judge's reasoning for handing out such a light sentence?

Secondly, even if everything being said here were true, I wouldn't necessarily describe it as the end result of "rape culture," so much "sports hero-worship culture"/corruption on the part of campuses themselves. Simple speaking, they are reluctant to lose they investment they've put into top athletes. The problem is that they basically treat hyper-aggressive meatheads like royalty just for being able to throw balls really well. Of course, that causes problems when they take that entitled attitude, and ultra-aggressive behavior, elsewhere.

Lastly... (Politically incorrect as it may be to point out), there legitimately are some women out there who are into having seriously rough, coercive, sex. They find it a turn-on to be "dominated." Given that they're often not pursuing that in the context of anything so structured as formal BDS&M, that can result in legitimate misunderstandings where a guy might think he's giving a girl what she wants, when he's really not.

I'm actually dating a girl right now who likes to play all like "No, no!" when she really means "yes"... Right up until she actually means "no." I almost got in trouble with it at one point.

It's like "Uuuummm... Maybe you should have a 'safe-word,' or something. I can't read your freaking mind."

I never disputed either of these things.

Again, my point is simply that the actual scope of this problem tends to be overblown in mainstream media and political discourse, because feminists want to pretend like there's no ambiguity to sex, and that it all must fit within the scope of their own "one size fits all" definition of consent and "proper" sexual conduct. It's not quite that simple in reality.

ah, feminists, the bane of mandom's drunken, unconscious sex supply. we'll manage somehow, brothers.

The only legally safe way to play that kind of game is with someone you are in a relationship with or in a club designed for that sort of thing. Rape fantasy games with a stranger---asking for trouble.

if my girlfriend asks me to pretend to rape her, it's not going to happen. saying no at any point during sex will result in the end of that particular sexual encounter.

if my girlfriend asks me to pretend to rape her, it's not going to happen. saying no at any point during sex will result in the end of that particular sexual encounter.

I would be very weirded out if a girl asked me to pretend to rape her.

ah, feminists, the bane of mandom's drunken, unconscious sex supply. we'll manage somehow, brothers.

Well... Hey! When it can be shown that somewhere around half of these women which feminist "researchers" classify as being "raped," not only consistently refuse to apply that title to the act themselves, but actually went on to have sex with their supposed "rapists" again afterwards, or even date them, it might be time to rethink your criteria and factor in a bit of ambiguity.

That's all I'm saying. :shrug:

Well... Hey! When it can be shown that somewhere around half of these women which feminist "researchers" classify as being "raped," not only consistently refuse to apply that title to the act themselves, but actually went on to have sex with their supposed "rapists" again afterwards, or even date them, it might be time to rethink your criteria and factor in a bit of ambiguity.

no means no, even if you wonder if she really means no.

Certain environments have a rape culture... perhaps at best. Rape Culture for the USA though? Only a hysterical ninny would argue that ...

no means no, even if you wonder if she really means no.

You will never have sex with some women with that attitude, even if they're practically begging you to. Them's the facts. :shrug:

It isn't even like this is my own opinion here, man. The whole thing seems kind of obnoxiously counter-intuitive and ambiguous to me. This is what the girl I've been seeing straight up told me about her own sexual preferences. Flat out, "you ain't gettin' any" unless you've got a bit of iron in the way you go about getting it. She doesn't view it as being "rape role-play" either. She just thinks that's the way intimacy should work. You "take control" and do what you're going to do, and she tells you "with her body" whether it's working or not... Even if it contradicts what she's actually saying.

Even when she got annoyed with me, it was more that I - apparently - simply wasn't being "romantic" enough about it, than that she disliked me being a bit forceful.

The fact is... Women with these sorts of preferences exist. I also wouldn't doubt that their attitude causes a lot of misunderstandings. Trying to deny all of that just because you dislike it doesn't really help anyone; either male or female.

Frankly, I agree that's a bit weird, and I'm not entirely comfortable with it. We're on "hiatus" at the moment because I'm leaving for six months. We may or may not get back together when I get back.

I suspect she's a bit too freaky for my blood, and I'm probably too conventional for her's. Lol

Last edited:

Same here. I had a girl say no once as I was pulling removing her dress. I stopped immediately, put my hands in the air and backed off. She thought I was acting weird or something and made a comment about how she just didn't want her dress bunched up and wrinkled. I said that saying no is a powerful word during a sexual encounter and to try to use a different way of getting my attention about her dress.

You will never have sex with some women with that attitude, even if they're practically begging you to.

sounds good.

It isn't even like this is my own opinion here, man. The whole thing seems kind of obnoxiously counter-intuitive and ambiguous to me. This is what the girl I've been seeing straight up told me about her own sexual preferences. Flat out, "you ain't gettin' any" unless you've got a bit of iron in the way you go about getting it. She doesn't view it as being "rape role-play" either. She just thinks that's the way intimacy should work.

for me, "no" ends the encounter.

Even when she got annoyed with me, it was more simply that I - apparently - simply wasn't being "romantic" enough about it, than that she disliked me being a bit forceful.

The fact is... Women with these sorts of preferences exist. I also wouldn't doubt that their attitude causes a lot of misunderstandings. Trying to deny all of that just because you dislike it doesn't really help anyone.

"dislike?" yeah, i would dislike play pretending that i'm forcing myself on a woman. if some couple out there wants to play fifty shades of grey or whatever, i don't care, though. that's just not my cup of moonshine. moonshine is my cup of moonshine.

Frankly, I agree that's a bit weird, and I'm not entirely comfortable with it. We're on "hiatus" at the moment because I'm leaving for six months. We may or may not get back together when I get back.

I suspect she's a bit too freaky for my blood, and I'm too conventional for her's.

i'm also fairly conventional when it comes to this particular topic.

Same here. I had a girl say no once as I was pulling removing her dress. I stopped immediately, put my hands in the air and backed off. She thought I was acting weird or something and made a comment about how she just didn't want her dress bunched up and wrinkled. I said that saying no is a powerful word during a sexual encounter and to try to use a different way of getting my attention about her dress.

definitely a good move.

There are at least 20 women who have accused Bill Clinton of rape or sexual assault (this is not including consensual affairs like Lewinsky). Many of those women pointed to Hillary and claimed she also victimized them after the fact. Many of his victims have independently stated Bill Clinton likes to bite (one said her lower lip was almost totally severed). My source is Roger Stones book ,, “The Clintons War on Women.” This is the real rape cloture in America.

There's always one in every thread.

It helps not to be into that sort of thing in the first place. For me, that would be an instant turn off.

"Somewhere around half" Please provide the data that proves that.

Or is that just what you believe?

Certain environments have a rape culture... perhaps at best. Rape Culture for the USA though? Only a hysterical ninny would argue that ...

6 months for penetrating an unconscious chick behind a dumpster. Witnesses pulled the scumbag off of her, said he was thrusting. Sorry, that is rape culture.

The BS his dad blabbed in court--more rape culture crap.

"Somewhere around half" Please provide the data that proves that.

Or is that just what you believe?

Knock yourself out.

The Campus Rape Myth - Heather Mac Donald

During the 1980s, feminist researchers committed to the rape-culture theory had discovered that asking women directly if they had been raped yielded disappointing results—very few women said that they had been. So Ms. commissioned University of Arizona public health professor Mary Koss to develop a different way of measuring the prevalence of rape. Rather than asking female students about rape per se, Koss asked them if they had experienced actions that she then classified as rape. Koss’s method produced the 25 percent rate, which Ms. then published.

Koss’s study had serious flaws. Her survey instrument was highly ambiguous, as University of California at Berkeley social-welfare professor Neil Gilbert has pointed out. But the most powerful refutation of Koss’s research came from her own subjects: 73 percent of the women whom she characterized as rape victims said that they hadn’t been raped. Further—though it is inconceivable that a raped woman would voluntarily have sex again with the fiend who attacked her—42 percent of Koss’s supposed victims had intercourse again with their alleged assailants.

All subsequent feminist rape studies have resulted in this discrepancy between the researchers’ conclusions and the subjects’ own views. A survey of sorority girls at the University of Virginia found that only 23 percent of the subjects whom the survey characterized as rape victims felt that they had been raped—a result that the university’s director of Sexual and Domestic Violence Services calls “discouraging.” Equally damning was a 2000 campus rape study conducted under the aegis of the Department of Justice. Sixty-five percent of what the feminist researchers called “completed rape” victims and three-quarters of “attempted rape” victims said that they did not think that their experiences were “serious enough to report.” The “victims” in the study, moreover, “generally did not state that their victimization resulted in physical or emotional injuries,” report the researchers.

6 months for penetrating an unconscious chick behind a dumpster. Witnesses pulled the scumbag off of her, said he was thrusting. Sorry, that is rape culture.

The BS his dad blabbed in court--more rape culture crap.

a woman was unconscious behind a dumpster for six months?

the fact that witnesses pulled the rapist off and he was arrested and went to court proves that rape is not a culture in the USA... stopping rape is.

Good lawyers with a lot of money behind them...plus, he's a dude.

Plus a lot of people feel sorry for a dude accused of rape. I have seen it many, many times as a advocate and volunteer. People are usually careful and ask about what actually happened, and care is given to "not judge" and "not condemn in the court of the public," etc. Very little concern is shown to the victim. Very few people ask, how is the victim doing? Is the victim traumatized? Is the victim suffering?

As somebody who knows a lot of victims, the guy getting such a light sentence would deeply insult any victim. In fact, this insults other victims of rape and sexual violence, because as the situation stands now, most victims don't feel respected in the court of public opinion or in the legal court.

a woman was unconscious behind a dumpster for six months?

the fact that witnesses pulled the rapist off and he was arrested and went to court proves that rape is not a culture in the USA... stopping rape is.

Stopping it if the victim is lucky. And, then the courts give the guy six months, and he serves three.

Stopping it if the victim is lucky. And, then the courts give the guy six months, and he serves three.

That is not a rape culture. That is poor legal system, lack of evidence against rapist, poor prosecuting attorney, etc.

Back
Top Bottom