• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Racism vs. reality (Pretty fair & balanced, for him)

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
By Richard Cohen
July 15, 2013

I don’t like what George Zimmerman did, and I hate that Trayvon Martin is dead. But I also can understand why Zimmerman was suspicious and why he thought Martin was wearing a uniform we all recognize. I don’t know whether Zimmerman is a racist. But I’m tired of politicians and others who have donned hoodies in solidarity with Martin and who essentially suggest that, for recognizing the reality of urban crime in the United States, I am a racist. The hoodie blinds them as much as it did Zimmerman.

One of those who quickly donned a hoodie was Christine Quinn, the speaker of the New York City Council. Quinn was hardly a lonesome panderer. Lesser politicians joined her and, as she did, pronounced Zimmerman a criminal. “What George Zimmerman did was wrong, was a crime,” Quinn said before knowing all of the facts and before the jury uncooperatively found otherwise. She was half-right. What Zimmerman did was wrong. It was not, by verdict of his peers, a crime.

Where is the politician who will own up to the painful complexity of the problem and acknowledge the widespread fear of crime committed by young black males? This does not mean that raw racism has disappeared, and some judgments are not the product of invidious stereotyping. It does mean, though, that the public knows young black males commit a disproportionate amount of crime. In New York City, blacks make up a quarter of the population, yet they represent 78 percent of all shooting suspects — almost all of them young men. We know them from the nightly news......

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Richard Cohen: Racism vs. reality - The Washington Post

One cannot disagree with this Op-Ed. There's too much hate talk from the Progressive Left and no solutions, other than mayhem and violence that is one big vicious circle.

Actually one can disagree with the op-ed and Think Progress did a great take down of the article: Washington Post Columnist: 'I Am A Racist' | ThinkProgress

I read the article and the main problem with it was that it was (as pointed out by TP) factually wrong, mainly due to the fact that Cohen goes and extrapolates a false narrative based on one data point.

Actually one can disagree with the op-ed and Think Progress did a great take down of the article: Washington Post Columnist: 'I Am A Racist' | ThinkProgress

I read the article and the main problem with it was that it was (as pointed out by TP) factually wrong, mainly due to the fact that Cohen goes and extrapolates a false narrative based on one data point.

I think a lot of people are sick of playing the liberal 'pretend game. Lets' "Pretend' that inner cities are not riddled with violent crime commited mostly by blacks. Maybe some liberal think tank can cook up a 'study' to massgae the data so that blacks and whites are equally likely to commit crime ....and that the sun sets in the East.
Lte's ' pretend' the real problem in the black community is that they have to fear white hispanic and white vigilantes.

Back
Top Bottom