• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Question 2 for Christians

alphamale said:
Not being infinitely powerful, I cannot wave a magic wand and give them instant insight. God, however, being infinitely powerful, could do so.

But then, the question begs to be asked...would that be in our best interest?

alphamale said:
But we have that only on the word of the authors of the New Testament. How do we know they were telling the truth? Why not appear now, do miracles, let them be observed, recorded, photographed?

How do we know what happened on the plane that crashed in the fields of Pennsylvania on 9/11? Nobody who was actually there survived. All we have is phone conversations pieced together. You accept the story that has been cobbled together by faith since you weren't actually there. And you believe it is reasonable to do so.

Many people believe it is reasonable to accept the eyewitness accounts from Jesus' disciples as evidence that those events really happened and that Jesus really is who he says he is. Yet it takes faith because none of us were there. After Jesus resurrected, he appeared to the disciples in the Upper Room. Thomas, one of Jesus' disciples said, "I won't beleive it's really Jesus until I put my fingers in the holes in his hand." When Jesus appeared, he had Thomas do exactly that, and then Thomas believed. Jesus said, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and have yet believed." (John 20:29)

Here is a list of reasons I have come up with for the reasons of religion:

1. It is an easy explanation for everything. Instead of trying to find the real reason for something, it is much easier to say, "Because that is the way a god wants it" or "a god made it that way."
2. People need unconditional love. There are times when people do not feel loved and believing in a god fills this void.
3. People do not want to believe that when we die, that is it. Belief in a god means we go on to another place after death.
4. People need guidelines to live. Religion helps people make everyday choices.

Please add more if you want to.

jallman said:
But then, the question begs to be asked...would that be in our best interest?

Yes! Then everyone would be assured of the true path, and all would set about doing good works. I don't see at all what good can from leaving it a big mystery.

alphamale said:
"Faith" means to hold something as true without proof. Why does God demand faith in Him? Why doesn't He just appear, do some incontrovertible miracles, proving He exists? Why the guessing game?
You have the wrong definition of faith.
Faith = trust.
Faith does not mandate the preclusion of evidence, rather, faith takes priority over evidence....or lack of.

Through quantum theory, science is caching up.

"Why does God demand faith in Him?"
Because God knows best.

"Why doesn't He just appear, do some incontrovertible miracles, proving He exists?"
He did, back in the day. Even Abraham needed God to, not just continue to directly speak to him, but to make a physical appearance.

If God were to physically appear, all who looked upon His face would die.

"Why the guessing game?"
No such game exists. One either trusts God, or one has doubt.

Back
Top Bottom