• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Public school prayer

There is nothing unconstitutional about school lead prayer as long as it is in a private group or setting on the school. unless it is a private school then they can do whatever they want.

the SCOTUS has proctect students rights to pray and express religious views without being silenced by the teachers or administration.

Just like the huge win for the cheerleaders in texas that put bible verses on their banner's and have done so for years.
Judge ruled that kids had a right to express their religious beliefs.

There is nothing unconstitutional about school lead prayer as long as it is in a private group or setting on the school. unless it is a private school then they can do whatever they want.

the SCOTUS has proctect students rights to pray and express religious views without being silenced by the teachers or administration.

Just like the huge win for the cheerleaders in texas that put bible verses on their banner's and have done so for years.
Judge ruled that kids had a right to express their religious beliefs.

I think that people who rant about how "bringing back" school prayer would solve a whole Pandora's box of evils really mean prayers led by their particular religious preference and mandated to be followed by everyone.

Which, of course, would be a violation of the First Amendment.

I think that people who rant about how "bringing back" school prayer would solve a whole Pandora's box of evils really mean prayers led by their particular religious preference and mandated to be followed by everyone.

Which, of course, would be a violation of the First Amendment.

When i was in high school we had a prayer before every football game not one person had a problem with it. it mostly consisted of asking for safety of players and making sure no one was hurt. kind funny that in all the years i attended football game we have hardley any injuries.

in fact our school won the AA championship one year.

how people can be offended by something they claim doesn't exist is beyond me.

Us Christians want a special place to pray too, and a rug.

You already have it. Fellowship of Christian Athletes meets at the flagpole to pray at virtually ever high school in America every day. It seems the more secular the country gets (every generation is less religious than the last), the whinier Evangelical Christians get.

When i was in high school we had a prayer before every football game not one person had a problem with it. it mostly consisted of asking for safety of players and making sure no one was hurt. kind funny that in all the years i attended football game we have hardley any injuries.

in fact our school won the AA championship one year.

how people can be offended by something they claim doesn't exist is beyond me.

*If only they could have prayed for good grammar. ;)

When I was in High School we had a prayer before every game as well. Each week either the local Southern Baptist preacher, the local Missionary Baptist preacher, the local Pentecostal preacher, the local Assembly of God preacher, and every once in a while when they felt like being inclusive, the local Methodist preacher, would lead the prayer. I was raised Catholic. I was one of a small handful of Catholics in the school district, when we asked if the local Catholic priest could lead the prayer for one of the games, we were told no.... and that is the problem with school sanction prayer.

The notion that those prayers kept y'all from getting injured makes God out to be a total douche. It's like the almighty is up there in heaven looking down on your football field and thinking "I am going to let one of those boys break his neck in the second quarter and never walk again unless they get a preacher to beg me to keep everyone safe".

You already have it. Fellowship of Christian Athletes meets at the flagpole to pray at virtually ever high school in America every day. It seems the more secular the country gets (every generation is less religious than the last), the whinier Evangelical Christians get.

Seems atheists are the biggest whiners on the planet. You make a microscopic percentage in this country, yet you want it ALL your way. Atheist sissies are offended by the sight of a Bible.

Seems atheists are the biggest whiners on the planet. You make a microscopic percentage in this country, yet you want it ALL your way. Atheist sissies are offended by the sight of a Bible.

And Christian sissies are offended by the notion of atheists. "Oh noes! We can't just carte blanche have our way! Oh the horrors....THE HORRORS!!!"

Ha, bunch of melodramatic preteens.

Public school is no place for prayer, you wanna pray in school, go to a religious school.

Unless you want to include every possible prayer to every religion, sect, deity, etc. But then there would be no time for actual school, would there?

And Christian sissies are offended by the notion of atheists. "Oh noes! We can't just carte blanche have our way! Oh the horrors....THE HORRORS!!!"

Funny I haven't run into Christians trying to make me go to church or follow Christ. I wonder why that is. Maybe because atheists are a bunch of ****ing liars who exaggerate the issue due their feelings of guilt and inadequacy.

Funny I haven't run into Christians trying to make me go to church or follow Christ. I wonder why that is. Maybe because atheists are a bunch of ****ing liars who exaggerate the issue due their feelings of guilt and inadequacy.

Not really, it's just that the persecution is coming to an end and society has to deal with the fact that atheists exists and they have rights too. I mean, sure everyone loved the Spanish Inquisition, but it's over now and we're moving on.

Not really, it's just that the persecution is coming to an end and society has to deal with the fact that atheists exists and they have rights too. I mean, sure everyone loved the Spanish Inquisition, but it's over now and we're moving on.

The Spanish Inquisition happened in Spain. Do you live in Spain? Everyone loved it? Maybe you. **** atheists.

The Spanish Inquisition happened in Spain. Do you live in Spain? Everyone loved it? Maybe you. **** atheists.

My my, look at the hate. I thought Christians were all about the love, acceptance, and forgiveness. Maybe you missed that day at Sunday School.

The fact is mainstream Christians rarely think about Atheists. Isn't that why you're constantly braying for attention?

The fact is mainstream Christians rarely think about Atheists. Isn't that why you're constantly braying for attention?

Nope, just exercising rights. Sorry if you don't like it; but it's sorta the fundamental of the Republic.

My my, look at the hate. I thought Christians were all about the love, acceptance, and forgiveness. Maybe you missed that day at Sunday School.

You think your mockery serves your cause.

Atheists need attention because they have low self esteem.

Who would go to school to pray?

The purpose of a school is education.

You think your mockery serves your cause.

Nope, not really endorsing a cause here. Indigent Christians thinking they're the most repressed and oppressed people on earth is just kinda funny.

The First Amendment is often misinterpreted in this case. It doesn't state that the government has to allow religious activities under any circumstance, it just means that the government can't endorse any one religion over another. Disallowing ALL religion in schools would be fair because it makes it neutral.

However, because people have religious requirements like Muslims who need to pray several times daily, and Christians are also allowed to pray, then the school has to make accommodations for that. That doesn't mean endorsement is happening, it just means they are creating space for it.

My issue is... would a Pagan get the same leeway? Because usually they don't. Practitioners of Witchcraft are routinely discriminated against openly. So what if a student is honoring Ishtar around the traditional time of Easter?

If we are creating space for religion then it has to be all religion, otherwise it's not fair... if you're a strict Constitutionalist, that is.

Who would (anyone) go to school to pray?

The purpose of a school is education.

What's with this endless, wide-eyed "I've upon this curious world and have nothing but questions" shtick?

What's with this endless, wide-eyed "I've upon this curious world and have nothing but questions" shtick?

I am not wide eyed when asking questions.

I simply do not see the purpose of having prayers in an educational institution.

If it's a public school, prayer is not to be allowed. Pretty simple.

In all honesty, I don't think it should be that open and shut. I can understand not having school led prayer, a public school cannot endorse any religion, but that doesn't mean that the individuals within cannot express religion. In fact, I would have no problem with a "silent" period before class for students who wish to pray, or those who want to play their Nintendo 3DS with the volume turned off.

sarcasm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom