• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

PSA: Elections have never been decided on election night

Deuce

Outer space potato man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It has never worked this way. Counting ballots has always taken weeks. Certification has always taken weeks.

“Americans should know the results on election night” is an invalid argument.

Elections are called on election night *by the media*

Another PSA:

Mail-in ballots cannot flip an election.

It has never worked this way. Counting ballots has always taken weeks. Certification has always taken weeks.

“Americans should know the results on election night” is an invalid argument.

Elections are called on election night *by the media*

Another PSA:

This election is an outlier because the pandemic has caused a vast increase in mail-in ballots.

In this election, it's entirely possible that they could flip an election.

Assuming more of them are for one candidate or another.

Another PSA:

We've never had the number of Mail-in ballots as this time around. I would not be so sure.

We've never had the number of Mail-in ballots as this time around. I would not be so sure.

Mail in ballots cannot flip an election for the same reason that in person votes cannot flip an election.

They’re just votes. You have to count all of them to determine the winner.

Mail in ballots cannot flip an election for the same reason that in person votes cannot flip an election.

That is a valid point.

Wut?!

He's saying votes can't flip an election if we count them all correctly, because despite the impression the time it takes to count votes give, whoever the finally determined winner is was always the winner.

Put another way: Imagine I counted the very first vote and it was for Biden, and declared Biden the winner.

Then I count the next two votes. Both are Trump. I then declare the election was flipped for Trump.

There’s still a thousand votes left to count.

You’d think I’m a moron, right?

That’s how I feel about people talking about absentee ballots “flipping” an election.

Put another way: Imagine I counted the very first vote and it was for Biden, and declared Biden the winner.

Then I count the next two votes. Both are Trump. I then declare the election was flipped for Trump.

That’s how I feel about people talking about absentee ballots “flipping” an election.
With how we can have live updated vote counts these days, it gives people an impression of flipping even if that impression is a lie.

Maybe there should be a law that states are not allowed to release vote counts until they are all counted.

No you don't. This is elementary school math.
You should count them all, but if you have 5k votes left to count and one candidate is ahead by more than 5k, you already know they won.

No you don't. This is elementary school math.

Irrelevant tangent.

Absentee ballots are just as valid as in-person votes and you can’t treat them as some separate category that “flips” an election.

You should count them all, but if you have 5k votes left to count and one candidate is ahead by more than 5k, you already know they won.
It's 270 to win. By no means do you need to "count all the votes" to get there.

No I'm the moron. I didn't get your point but now I do.

Back
Top Bottom