• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Prowar forum members/who served and who did not

Shall We Move This To The Basement!?

• Yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • uh.... (comment below)

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

SMIRKnCHIMP

Banned
Reaction score
Redneck Rivera-Winters / Upper Montana -Summers
Political Leaning
Moderate
Prowar forum members

To all the Prowar forum members who are in their 20's & 30's.....why are you guy and gals not fighting the Terrorist instead of discussing how great it is to spread freedom and democracy?

Are you guys and gals going to follow the route of the Ruling party by Supporting the invasion of soverign nations......while being to much a coward to take part in the action?

****Prominent Republicans most who did not serve****

* Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert - avoided the draft, did not serve.

* Former House Majority Leader Dick Armey - avoided the draft, did not serve.

* House Majority Leader Tom Delay - avoided the draft, did not serve . "So many minority youths had volunteered ... that there was literally no room for patriotic folks like himself."

* House Majority Whip Roy Blunt - did not serve

* Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist - did not serve. (An impressive medical resume, but not such a friend to cats in Boston.)

* Majority Whip Mitch McConnell, R-KY - did not serve

* Rick Santorum, R-PA, third ranking Republican in the Senate - did not serve.

* Former Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott - avoided the draft, did not serve.

* Secretary of Defense Don Rumsfeld - served in the U.S. Navy (1954-57) as an aviator and flight instructor. Served as President Reagan's Special Envoy to the Middle East and met with Saddam Hussein twice in 1983 and 1984.

***** GW Bush - decided that a six-year Nat'l Guard commitment really means four years. Still says that he's "been to war." Huh?*****aka AWOL cokehead turned pretend bible thumper

* VP Cheney - several deferments, the last by marriage (in his own words, "had other priorities than military service")

* Att'y Gen. John Ashcroft - did not serve ; received seven deferment to teach business ed at SW Missouri State

* Jeb Bush, Florida Governor - did not serve.

The wealthy have never yet sacrificed themselves upon the altar of patriotism. Graphic courtesy Bartcop.com. Thanks, Bartcop!

* Karl Rove - avoided the draft, did not serve , too busy being a Republican.

* Former Speaker Newt Gingrich - avoided the draft, did not serve

* Former President Ronald Reagan - due to poor eyesight, served in a noncombat role making movies for the Army in southern California during WWII. He later seems to have confused his role as an actor playing a tail gunner with the real thing.

* "B-1" Bob Dornan - avoided Korean War combat duty by enrolling in college acting classes (Orange County Weekly article). Enlisted only after the fighting was over in Korea.

* Phil Gramm - avoided the draft, did not serve, four (?) student deferments

***** Senator John McCain - McCain's naval honors include the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross. Why did the Bush campaign smear him so? At least Senators Cleland (D-GA), Kerry (D-MA), Kerrey (D-NE), Robb (D-VA) and Hagel (R-NE) defended him.

* Former Senator Bob Dole - an honorable man. http://www.bobdole.org/bio/wwII.php

* Chuck Hagel - two Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star, Vietnam. http://www.senate.gov/~hagel/Information/bio.htm

* Duke Cunningham - nominated for the Medal of Honor, received the Navy Cross, two Silver Stars, fifteen Air Medals, the Purple Heart, and several other decorations http://www.house.gov/cunningham/abo...e.htm#Biography

* Senator Jeff Sessions U.S. Army Reserves, 1973-1986

* Colin Powell. What are we to make of Powell? On the one hand, a long career as a military manager. On the other hand, accused of covering up the My Lai massacre. Back on that first hand, one of the seemingly sane voices in this administration when it comes to Iraq (or at least he used to be). On the other hand, a clear hypocrite ("I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well-placed... managed to wangle slots in Reserve and National Guard units...")

* Representative Wayne Gilchrest (R-MD), served in USMC in Vietnam; wounded in action.

Great at cheering on others to do the fighting, yet too scared to enter the fray himself. Truly a wimp, like the rest of the chickenhawks.

Republicans/Conservatives
Political scuss

* Senator Don Nickles, R-OK - Oklahoma - Biography does not list military service. However, CNN lists Army National Guard service 1970-1976.

* Senator Richard Shelby, did not serve (1)

* Senator Jon Kyl, R-AZ - did not serve (1, 2)

* Senator Tim Hutchison, R-AR - did not serve (1, 2)

* Rep. Christopher Cox, R-CA, fifth-ranking Republican in Congress - did not serve. (1)

***** Representative Saxby Chambliss, Georgia - did not serve, had a "bad knee" (yet somehow feels he has a right to attack Max Cleland's patriotism)

* Former Representative JC Watts - did not serve (1, 2)

* Jack Kemp, did not serve (1, 2) (was unfit because of a knee injury, though he heroically continued as a National Football League quarterback for another eight years - source)

* Former Vice President Dan Quayle, avoided Vietnam service, got a slot in the journalism unit of the Indiana National Guard when the unit was at 150% capacity (at least he showed up for his duty, unlike GW) (1, 2)

* Eliot Abrams, did not serve (1, 2) (however, played a key role in subverting democracy in South America)

* Paul Wolfowitz, did not serve (1, 2)

* Former Representative Vin Weber, did not serve (1, 2)

* Richard Perle, did not serve (1, 2) (is the current bloodshed in the Middle East a direct result of his treasonous meddling in Clinton Administrstion foreign policy?)

* Douglas Feith, Undersecretary of Defense for Policy - did not serve. (1)

* Rudy Giuliani, did not serve (1, 2)

* Michael Bloomberg, did not serve (1, 2)

* George Pataki, did not serve (1, 2)

* Spencer Abraham, did not serve

* John Engler, did not serve (1, 2)

* Lindsey Graham (R-SC) - website used to claim service as a "Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm veteran." A current biographical website makes no such claim. In reality, was a National Guard lawyer who never left South Carolina during the Gulf War.

* Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-CA, did not serve (1)

* Rep. Darrell Issa, R-CA/49th, there were some problems with his service.

* Rep. John M. McHugh, R-NY - avoided the draft, did not serve (1)
* Arnold Schwarzenegger, CA Republican Governor - went AWOL from his Austrian army base to enter a bodybuilding competition

***** George Herbert Walker Bush, COWARD pilot in WWII. Shot down by the Japanese; was lone survivor out of airplane bailed out killing his crew who were still much alive

* Tom Ridge, Bronze Star for Valor in Vietnam (1)

* Representative Sam R. Johnson, combat missions in both Korea and Vietnam, POW in Hanoi from April 1966 to February 1973 (1)
(don't ever run for president Sam, they'll spread rumors that you're crazy)

* Senator Ted Stevens, R-AK, WW II pilot, two Distinguished Flying Crosses, two Air Medals, and the Yuan Hai medal awarded by the Republic of China.

* Sen. John Warner, R-VA - Served in the Navy during WWII as a RM3

* Congresswoman Heather Wilson, R-NM, served in the Air Force 1978-1989

* Former President Gerald Ford, served in the Navy, WWII

* Former Senator Strom Thurmond - apparently believes, along with Trent Lott, that America should have been a segregated society. Still, he served.

Punditocracy and Preacher-types (See also Media Whores Online)

* George Will, did not serve

* Chris Matthews, Mediawhore, did not serve.

* Bill O'Reilly, did not serve

* Paul Gigot, did not serve.

* Bill Bennett, Did not serve

* Pat Buchanan, did not serve

**** Rush Limbaugh, did not serve (4-F with a 'pilonidal cyst' [see "The Rush Limbaugh Story" by Paul D. Colford, St. Martin's Press, 1993, Chapter 2: Beating the Draft.])

* Michael Savage (aka Michael Alan Weiner) - did not serve, too busy chasing herbs and botany degrees in Hawaii and Fiji

* John Wayne, did not serve

* Pat Robertson - claimed during 1986 campaign to be a "combat veteran." In reality, was a "Liquor Officer."

* Bill Kristol, did not serve

* Sean Hannity, did not serve.

* Kenneth Starr, did not serve

* Antonin Scalia, did not serve

* Clarence Thomas, did not serve

* Ralph Reed, did not serve

* Michael Medved, did not serve

* Charlie Daniels, did not serve

* Ted Nugent, did not serve

* Ollie North
- Convicted in the Iran-Contra scandal, at least he served.

Re: Prowar forum members

First of all. State your source.
Pretty please, with sugar on top?

Second, try discussing the issues instead of stealing them from another source, presenting them on your own, and then saying "yeah that".

Maybe you will get a response.

vauge said:
First of all. State your source.
Pretty please, with sugar on top?

Second, try discussing the issues instead of stealing them from another source, presenting them on your own, and then saying "yeah that".

Maybe you will get a response.

I'm not a pretender unlike some......I never Claimed it was mine.

My question to you......... do you have anything to offer besides your short choppy words of criticism.

Who served and Who did NOT!

http://www.democrats.us/beta/forum/view_topic.php?id=1896&forum_id=9

Democrats
* Richard Gephardt: Air National Guard, 1965-71.
* David Bonior: Staff Sgt., Air Force 1968-72.
* Tom Daschle: 1st Lt., Air Force SAC 1969-72.
* Al Gore: enlisted Aug. 1969; sent to Vietnam Jan.
1971 as an army journalist in 20th Engineer Brigade.
* Bob Kerrey: Lt. j.g. Navy 1966-69; Medal of Honor, Vietnam.
* Daniel Inouye: Army 1943-47; Medal of Honor, WWII.
* John Kerry: Lt., Navy 1966-70; Silver Star, Bronze Star with Combat V, Purple Hearts.
* Charles Rangel: Staff Sgt., Army 1948-52; Bronze Star, Korea.
* Max Cleland: Captain, Army 1965-68; Silver Star & Bronze Star, Vietnam.
* Ted Kennedy: Army, 1951-53.
* Tom Harkin: Lt., Navy, 1962-67; Naval Reserve, 1968-74.
* Jack Reed: Army Ranger, 1971-1979; Captain, Army Reserve 1979-91.
* Fritz Hollings: Army officer in WWII; Bronze Star and seven campaign ribbons.
* Leonard Boswell: Lt. Col., Army 1956-76; Vietnam, DFCs, Bronze Stars, and Soldier's Medal.
* Pete Peterson: Air Force Captain, POW. Purple Heart, Silver Star and Legion of Merit.
* Mike Thompson: Staff sergeant, 173rd Airborne, Purple Heart.
* Bill McBride: Candidate for Fla. Governor. Marine in Vietnam; Bronze Star with Combat V.
* Gray Davis: Army Captain in Vietnam, Bronze Star.
* Pete Stark: Air Force 1955-57
* Chuck Robb: Vietnam
* Howell Heflin: Silver Star
* George McGovern: Silver Star & DFC during WWII.
* Bill Clinton: Did not serve. Student deferments.
Entered draft but received #311.
* Jimmy Carter: Seven years in the Navy.
* Walter Mondale: Army 1951-1953
* John Glenn: WWII and Korea; six DFCs and Air Medal with 18 Clusters.
* Tom Lantos: Served in Hungarian underground in WWII.
Saved by Raoul Wallenberg.

Republicans
* Dennis Hastert: did not serve.
* Tom Delay: did not serve.
* Roy Blunt: did not serve.
* Bill Frist: did not serve.
* Mitch McConnell: did not serve.
* Rick Santorum: did not serve.
* Trent Lott: did not serve.
* Dick Cheney: did not serve. Several deferments, the last by marriage.
* John Ashcroft: did not serve. Seven deferments to teach business.
* Jeb Bush: did not serve.
* Karl Rove: did not serve.
* Saxby Chambliss: did not serve. "Bad knee." The man who attacked Cleland's patriotism.
* Paul Wolfowitz: did not serve.
* Vin Weber: did not serve.
* Richard Perle: did not serve.
* Douglas Feith: did not serve.
* Eliot Abrams: did not serve.
* Richard Shelby: did not serve.
* Jon! Kyl: did not serve.
* Tim Hutchison: did not serve.
* Christopher Cox: did not serve.
* Newt Gingrich: did not serve.
* Don Rumsfeld: served in Navy (1954-57) as flight instructor.
* George W. Bush: failed to complete his six-year National Guard; got assigned to Alabama so he could campaign for family friend running for U.S. Senate; failed to show up for required medical exam, disappeared from duty.
* Ronald Reagan: due to poor eyesight, served in a non-combat role making movies.
* B-1 Bob Dornan: Consciously enlisted after fighting was over in Korea.
* Phil Gramm: did not serve.
* John McCain: Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross.
* Dana Rohrabacher: did not serve.
* John M. McHugh: did not serve.
* JC Watts: did not serve.
* Jack Kemp: did not serve. "Knee problem," although continued in NFL for 8 years.
* Dan Quayle: Journalism unit of the Indiana National Guard.
* Rudy Giuliani: did not serve.
* George Pataki: did not serve.
* Spencer Abraham: did not serve.
* John Engler: did not serve.
* Lindsey Graham: National Guard lawyer.

Pundits & Preachers
* Sean Hannity: did not serve.
* Rush Limbaugh: did not serve (4-F with a 'pilonidal cyst.')
* Bill O'Reilly: did not serve.
* Michael Savage: did not serve.
* George Will: did not serve.
* Chris Matthews: did not serve.
* Paul Gigot: did not serve.
* Bill Bennett: did not serve.
* Pat Buchanan: did not serve.
* John Wayne: did not serve.
* Bill Kristol: did not serve.
* Kenneth Starr: did not serve.
* Antonin Scalia: did not serve.
* Clarence Thomas: did not serve.
* Ralph Reed: did not serve.
* Michael Medved: did not serve.

link supplied!

Last edited:
Re: Who served and Who did NOT!

I felt that there really wasn't a poll...

What a ridiculous compilation, and an incredible bunch of nonsense!:roll:

This could be spun till the cows come home, and it would still mean absolutely nothing, good job.;)

No response to citing your sources?

I suggest going to Iraq, and laying in front of a tank, then you can come back here and show us all how hypocritical we are, until that day, STFU.;)

vauge said:
No response to citing your sources?

I smell a spammer sir, just my observation though.;)

SMIRKnCHIMP said:
What you smell is a bushhater who is taking your lunch money and slapping your @#$% into the dirt

I thought this was a debate forum........

I'm not impressed sir.:roll:

SMIRKnCHIMP said:
What you smell is a bushhater who is taking your lunch money and slapping your @#$% into the dirt

I thought this was a debate forum........

What do you want us to debate? Big deal, so they didn't serve. Neither did I. I can hardly criticize them for doing something I am not willing to do.

[mod mode/]

I'm merging these threads. They're really the same thing.

[mod mode]

I'm going to go out on a limb here & state the obvious....Throughout history, pretty much every civilization has had a "warrior class"...Sadly, we cannot all be of that class, just as we cannot all be educators, machinists, or what have you. Every war needs "George Baileys" at home to heep the fires burning during times of war. By "George Baileys", I mean the character played by Jimmy Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life"...There are more ways to support a war & our troops than by picking up a gun....The original post to this thread was just ignorant.

The question raised by this thread is a valid one. If your so pro-[this]-war, why aren't you over there fighting. Smacks of hypocrisy to me!

I believe you are trying to bait people by saying “pro-war”. I am not “pro-war”, I do not believe in violence except for protection. I am “pro-keeping-America-safe” which is what we are trying to do. If not for a degenerative disease in my spine I would fight, along side my brother who spent over a year there, for our country and try to help keep people like you safe so you could continue to post your ignorant threads that are meant to incite anger on both sides. That is your freedom and the men and women over there are fighting for it. If every American shared your ideals you would not be able to freely express them after the men you refuse to fight take over and silence anyone who would oppose them.

Billo_Really said:
The question raised by this thread is a valid one. If your so pro-[this]-war, why aren't you over there fighting. Smacks of hypocrisy to me!

If you liberals are so "against" this war...Why are you suggesting that we send more troops to Iraq? "Why aren't you over there fighting?"....If I were to go, that's 1 more soldier that you'd be saying shouldn't be there....so should we be there, or shouldn't we?

Out of one corner of your mouths, your stating that this is an unjust war that we shouldn't be fighting,...bring the troops home... and out of the other, you're suggesting that we who support the war all join up, thus adding to our troop strength in Iraq....If anything were to "smack of hipocrisy", I'd say it's that.

Originally posted by ILikeDubyah:
If you liberals are so "against" this war...Why are you suggesting that we send more troops to Iraq? "Why aren't you over there fighting?"....If I were to go, that's 1 more soldier that you'd be saying shouldn't be there....so should we be there, or shouldn't we?

Out of one corner of your mouths, your stating that this is an unjust war that we shouldn't be fighting,...bring the troops home... and out of the other, you're suggesting that we who support the war all join up, thus adding to our troop strength in Iraq....If anything were to "smack of hipocrisy", I'd say it's that.
Your trying to combine two different subjects into one. My view on the war has nothing to do with my query in how you show your support for the war.

Just because I ask you, "Why aren't you over there fighting if your so pro-war?" is not saying you should be. Two different things.

But you are right, if you were over there I would be against that.

Originally posted by gdalton:
I believe you are trying to bait people by saying “pro-war”. I am not “pro-war”, I do not believe in violence except for protection. I am “pro-keeping-America-safe” which is what we are trying to do. If not for a degenerative disease in my spine I would fight, along side my brother who spent over a year there, for our country and try to help keep people like you safe so you could continue to post your ignorant threads that are meant to incite anger on both sides.
If, for the sake of arguement, Iraq WAS a real threat, you would not see any posts by me in opposition to US forces in that country. I do not consider a country, 8,000 miles away with no navy, that barely has running water and electricity, a threat to the worlds only current super-power. They are not a threat. And haven't been since 1992.
That is your freedom and the men and women over there are fighting for it.
I've already got my freedom! I don't need them fighting to get me more freedom.
If every American shared your ideals you would not be able to freely express them after the men you refuse to fight take over and silence anyone who would oppose them
This statement makes no sense. I'll fix it for you...
If every American shared your ideals ...[regarding the Patriot Act]... you would not be able to freely express them after the men you refuse to fight take over and silence anyone who would oppose them
...now, I would tend to agree with you.

Billo_Really said:
Your trying to combine two different subjects into one. My view on the war has nothing to do with my query in how you show your support for the war.

Love how you tell me what I am stating/asking....

Just because I ask you, "Why aren't you over there fighting if your so pro-war?" is not saying you should be. Two different things.

First, you changed the wording of your original question, which changes it's connotation. Second, Asking me why I'm not over there fighting IS saying that I should be. If you would have worded the *hypothetical*question differently, it wouldn't have meant that. Also, suggest you look at the original post again, as That was the question/suggestion being posed.

But you are right, if you were over there I would be against that.

Lets see...How have I supported the troops??? By donating time & money to a charity that gives money to the families of reservists, so they're able to stay on top of their bills. And have donated free shipping of care packages, letters, etc..for the families & friends sending these things to their loved ones Overseas.

I'll pose the same question to you. Liberals say they're against war, but support the troops... What have you done to support the troops, aside from posting meaningless dribble & rhetoric on a politics website, which ultimately could lower the resolve & morale of the troops you "support"?

ILikeDubyah said:
Lets see...How have I supported the troops??? By donating time & money to a charity that gives money to the families of reservists, so they're able to stay on top of their bills. And have donated free shipping of care packages, letters, etc..for the families & friends sending these things to their loved ones Overseas.

I'll pose the same question to you. Liberals say they're against war, but support the troops... What have you done to support the troops, aside from posting meaningless dribble & rhetoric on a politics website, which ultimately could lower the resolve & morale of the troops you "support"?

Nobody NEEDS to prove their support....I simple "I'm proud of you" works....For some people, zipping their lip would work just as well.

Freedom of speech is a right, but there is no moral clarity in the Constitution as to when it is appropriate to USE that freedom.

Back
Top Bottom