• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Proselytizers usurping your property & privacy rights

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I live in a community where it is not uncommon to have proselytizers of various stripes come to your door. Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and Baptists have taken the liberty to knock on my door at my house to let me know the good word. It is true that if you put a "no solicitation" sign on your property, that your property rights outweigh their rights to accost you on your property. Does the same hold true if I post a "no proselytizing" sign on my property? As I see it, my property rights trumps your freedom of religion rights as soon as your nose crosses over onto my property. Now if Johnny the Jehovah's Witness accosts me at the mall or in a park, that is when I'm on his ground and my rights do not hold sway over his.

I will say that I do not appreciate what these people do at all. My blood pressure skyrockets and I am very curt with them. If I want to know more about them, I will take the initiative on my own to visit them and learn about them. In essence, stay off my property!:2mad:

So, if a person posts a "no proselytizing" sign on his/her property, should proselytizers be considered guilty of trespassing or does their "freedom of religion" rights trump your right to privacy and property?

So, if a person posts a "no proselytizing" sign on his/her property, should proselytizers be considered guilty of trespassing or does their "freedom of religion" rights trump your right to privacy and property?

Of course not. It is your property and religion or not they have no right to be on your property without your permission, period.

I would put up a sign that says: I am in no way interested in your religion. Keep on walking and no talking.

Being a Christian myself I really don't have a problem with people who proselytize. I do have a problem when it becomes intrusive and interrupts peoples daily lives.

I don't know about the others, but I have heard that you can ask the mormons the phone number of their mission president, and then ask that guy to put you on a no contact list, and they will probably not bother you again.
As for the JW, I can't help you. Baptists, only once or twice in 40 years have they darkened my door.....

Do what my one sister does, ask them about their welfare program. She tells them she lost her job, is in danger of getting evicted and needs help from someone to feed her kids, pay the utilities, etc. That will separate the true christians from those just looking for tithe payers. True christians will offer to help.

I tell all solicitors, religious or otherwise, to please respect the No Soliciting sign. No sense in getting upset about it.

I live in a community where it is not uncommon to have proselytizers of various stripes come to your door. Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and Baptists have taken the liberty to knock on my door at my house to let me know the good word. It is true that if you So, if a person posts a "no proselytizing" sign on his/her property, should proselytizers be considered guilty of trespassing or does their "freedom of religion" rights trump your right to privacy and property?

Their freedom of religion does not trump your freedom FROM religion.

I live in a community where it is not uncommon to have proselytizers of various stripes come to your door. Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and Baptists have taken the liberty to knock on my door at my house to let me know the good word. It is true that if you put a "no solicitation" sign on your property, that your property rights outweigh their rights to accost you on your property. Does the same hold true if I post a "no proselytizing" sign on my property? As I see it, my property rights trumps your freedom of religion rights as soon as your nose crosses over onto my property. Now if Johnny the Jehovah's Witness accosts me at the mall or in a park, that is when I'm on his ground and my rights do not hold sway over his.

I will say that I do not appreciate what these people do at all. My blood pressure skyrockets and I am very curt with them. If I want to know more about them, I will take the initiative on my own to visit them and learn about them. In essence, stay off my property!:2mad:

Witnesses that I have dealt with have been nice enough to give me pamphlet and leave with no nastiness needed.

I'd suggest you politely say, "thanks but no thanks."

I don't know about the others, but I have heard that you can ask the mormons the phone number of their mission president, and then ask that guy to put you on a no contact list, and they will probably not bother you again.

You know, I've never had a problem with the Mormons. A couple of bright, clean-cut young men with strong moral convictions came to my front door one day and offered to share something that had given their lives great meaning. I invited them in for refreshments, listened to their story, and told them of my own faith and the sense of purpose and belonging it instilled in my own life. We had a pleasant conversation about our moral values-- shared and otherwise-- and quoted to each other from our respective holy scriptures.

They thanked me for my hospitality and went on their way. They were never once disrespectful of my person, my home, or my faith and the experience brightened my day.

Frankly, I think this world would be a better place with more Mormons in it.

You know, I've never had a problem with the Mormons. A couple of bright, clean-cut young men with strong moral convictions came to my front door one day and offered to share something that had given their lives great meaning. I invited them in for refreshments, listened to their story, and told them of my own faith and the sense of purpose and belonging it instilled in my own life. We had a pleasant conversation about our moral values-- shared and otherwise-- and quoted to each other from our respective holy scriptures.

They thanked me for my hospitality and went on their way. They were never once disrespectful of my person, my home, or my faith and the experience brightened my day.

Frankly, I think this world would be a better place with more Mormons in it.

There will be plenty more, based on birth rate. Mormons and catholics breed like rabbits....plus the growth in the LDS church due to conversions has been huge in central and south America. Last I heard, spanish is the predominant language among LDS world wide.

There will be plenty more, based on birth rate. Mormons and catholics breed like rabbits....plus the growth in the LDS church due to conversions has been huge in central and south America. Last I heard, spanish is the predominant language among LDS world wide.

There are LDS members who speak many languages. English is the primary language spoken in the church; however, there are materials in more than twenty other languages.

A complete list of languages utilized by the LDS church can be found here: Languages

Last edited:
I like asking Joho's a simple question, If you believe everything is Gods will, why do you take insurance out on your homes against earthquakes floods and other acts of god:)

I like asking Joho's a simple question, If you believe everything is Gods will, why do you take insurance out on your homes against earthquakes floods and other acts of god:)

Not familiar with JW beliefs, but I don't see those items as acts of god, that is just a man made label for natural events. We are supposed to be the supreme beings on the planet, smarter than all the animals, yet we still build houses below sea level in New Orleans?:3oops:

Meh, I'll talk it up with anyone....

they tend to want to leave on thier own by the time we are done. :mrgreen:

I thought your philosophy would be "Shot first ask questions later.":mrgreen:

There are LDS members who speak many languages. English is the primary language spoken in the church; however, there are materials in more than twenty other languages.

A complete list of languages utilized by the LDS church can be found here: Languages

Yes, but the way I heard it is that Spanish is the predominant first language of the membershhip.....
Not saying I am right, just what I hear...

It sounds like a local or state law issue. Try answering the door wearing scarlet contacts, and invite them in with a slightly expectant chuckle. That ought to soon do the trick.

I used to have Jehova Witnesses that wouldn't stop coming to my house.

Solution: answer the door naked.

I'm serious.

It works.
but what if the reason they kept coming back was because they lusted after you?
Answer the door naked and your virtue might be sullied...;)

I dont beliiiiiiiiiiiieve it:lol:

Yes I do, in my mind eye I can see it.

I have already started the script.

Working title

Jesus, This is not my lucky day!

I'm actually totally serious, this has worked for me in the past.
So am I! I'd just have to report to my EMS partner that we were too late, nothing could be done.

OK, I have a headache and I'm trying to be humorous in a slightly annoying way.

Anyway, while I generally promote civility, the people you are talking about generally surrender the expectation of such gentle treatment by their behavior. The same for door to door salesmen.

I would recommend that your technique only be employed when one knows exactly who is at the door though. It would be so sad if it were Ed McMahon and his camera crew with your Publisher's Clearing House Prize.

I would recommend that your technique only be employed when one knows exactly who is at the door though. It would be so sad if it were Ed McMahon and his camera crew with your Publisher's Clearing House Prize.

For ten million dollars, I wouldn't mind Ed McMahon and his whole camera crew getting a good solid look at my pecker. Hell, ten million bucks and I'd let them touch it.

For ten million dollars, I wouldn't mind Ed McMahon and his whole camera crew getting a good solid look at my pecker. Hell, ten million bucks and I'd let them touch it.

But would ya marry Lorna Bobbit for 10 mill?

Back
Top Bottom