• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Private Equity firms are killing us

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
If you don't want to be disgusted, do not read this thread. It is literally making massive profits off of destroying companies... and no, I do not mean their competition.

IMO there are certain services which cannot be effectively run by an entity that needs to make a profit.

Health care (not R&D, but the actual caring for patients part)
Prisons/detainment facilities, basically any place where people are not allowed to leave from for one reason or another.

My reasoning is that in both of these cases, there will arise situations where allowing harm to a person will provide more profit.

If you don't want to be disgusted, do not read this thread. It is literally making massive profits off of destroying companies... and no, I do not mean their competition.

Please be more specific. Not sure the biggest private equity funds are doing this.

Health care (not R&D, but the actual caring for patients part)

R&D also. For example, priorities of what to research will be warped to far less important but more profitable areas.

Prisons/detainment facilities, basically any place where people are not allowed to leave from for one reason or another.

It's not just direct issues of profit versus care. It's also indirect, such as the prison industry lobbying for more crimes, longer sentences, more convictions, ll for profit also. This is in addition to how 'for profit' can increase costs for that profit, with lawmakers unconcerned thanks to donations.

R&D also. For example, priorities of what to research will be warped to far less important but more profitable areas.
If the main customer doesn't have a profit motive, they can direct funds to influence research priorities.

Plus it's a big enough ask currently to be talking about what I already suggested, let alone accomplishing it. There's a shitload of money in that industry, and talking about removing the profit motive is a threat to many rich persons.

It's not just direct issues of profit versus care. It's also indirect, such as the prison industry lobbying for more crimes, longer sentences, more convictions, ll for profit also. This is in addition to how 'for profit' can increase costs for that profit, with lawmakers unconcerned thanks to donations.
Yes.

If you don't like those Globalists, you should be supporting Trump.

It's a pretty ****ed up way to do "business".

Donald Trump is a globalist. Look at his business dealings. His MAGA schtick is for the gullibles. Oops, no offense 😂😆😂😆 🤡🤡🤡🤡🐑🐑🐑🐑
Don't let your hatred make you lie. You know he's not.

You think the prison industry is advertising on Twitter or elsewhere begging people to commit more crimes than they already do?

Certain crimes should absolutely carry much more prison time than they do now. To give a 5-time loser probation for their 3rd or 4th GTA is ludicrous. >2 GTA conviction for GTA s/b 10 years mandatory minimum.

"More convictions" - ?? How -- do you want juries to be bribed now to assure a conviction?

Or do you just want no bail for anything; do you believe in "...we'll, it's only the 24th time he's raped a girl under 10, but I guess we can give him another chance." - THAT IS SICK. I can tell you exactly what should happen to a child molester. Need about 5 guys, an axe, and <5 minutes. That guy will never rape again - guaranteed.

We should be building new prisons at the rate of 1 per week in the US.

You think the prison industry is advertising on Twitter or elsewhere begging people to commit more crimes than they already do?

Certain crimes should absolutely carry much more prison time than they do now. To give a 5-time loser probation for their 3rd or 4th GTA is ludicrous. >2 GTA conviction for GTA s/b 10 years mandatory minimum.

"More convictions" - ?? How -- do you want juries to be bribed now to assure a conviction?

Or do you just want no bail for anything; do you believe in "...we'll, it's only the 24th time he's raped a girl under 10, but I guess we can give him another chance." - THAT IS SICK. I can tell you exactly what should happen to a child molester. Need about 5 guys, an axe, and <5 minutes. That guy will never rape again - guaranteed.

We should be building new prisons at the rate of 1 per week in the US.
You don't need to ask people to crime more when people who cannot afford bail admit to crimes they didn't do to escape waiting in jail while not convicted.
That way you skip trials and don't even need to bother bribing juries.
Bail should be reserved only for people who are not a flight risk or danger to anyone - if they're a flight risk or danger to others they should be kept in jail without bail. If they're neither, then they should be released to wait for their court date.

Edit: We already have a higher percentage of our population in jail than any other nation on earth
And a higher total number of imprisoned people.
We have more people in prison than China does, and their population is much larger than ours.

Edit 2: Keeping people who are not flight risks and not a danger to others in jail simply because they could not afford bail is unacceptable - if that occurs, then bail is too high for that case.

Last edited:
You don't need to ask people to crime more when people who cannot afford bail admit to crimes they didn't do to escape waiting in jail while not convicted.
That way you skip trials and don't even need to bother bribing juries.
Bail should be reserved only for people who are not a flight risk or danger to anyone - if they're a flight risk or danger to others they should be kept in jail without bail. If they're neither, then they should be released to wait for their court date.

Edit: We already have a higher percentage of our population in jail than any other nation on earth
And a higher total number of imprisoned people.
We have more people in prison than China does, and their population is much larger than ours.

Edit 2: Keeping people who are not flight risks and not a danger to others in jail simply because they could not afford bail is unacceptable - if that occurs, then bail is too high for that case.
The solution isn't to build more prisons: The solution is to reduce the number of crimes committed by addressing the root causes. For profit prisons are exactly the worst thing we can do.

If you don't like those Globalists, you should be supporting Trump.

Private equity firms =/= Globalists.

Perhaps if you didn't treat everyone else as idiots, you'd get more honest debate on this site.

Back
Top Bottom