• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Print Media out of touch with readers

JOHNYJ

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
The Print media of America is becoming more and more out of touch with its readers. Newspaper writters come from liberal educational institutions and associate only with those that think as they do.
Nothing illstrates this more than the war on Christmas.Most Newspapers have ignored this topic or ridiculed it as conservative christian hysteria. Most polls on the other hand say that halfe of the american people see it as a real question.
Newspapers have been loosing readers for years. In that same time they have become more liberal and arogant. As their readers have been turning conservative the papers have become more liberal.

JOHNYJ said:
The Print media of America is becoming more and more out of touch with its readers. Newspaper writters come from liberal educational institutions and associate only with those that think as they do.
Nothing illstrates this more than the war on Christmas.Most Newspapers have ignored this topic or ridiculed it as conservative christian hysteria. Most polls on the other hand say that halfe of the american people see it as a real question.
Newspapers have been loosing readers for years. In that same time they have become more liberal and arogant. As their readers have been turning conservative the papers have become more liberal.

The only "War on Christmas" that exists is in the minds of the commentators on Fox news - and their sheep...

hipsterdufus said:
The only "War on Christmas" that exists is in the minds of the commentators on Fox news - and their sheep...
Interesting, because I see the effort to tear down Christmas, and I am not a Fox commentator or a Fox viewer.

hipsterdufus said:
So tell me again, how many days do you get off for Christmas? Also I wish you a Happy Verizon Day! :aliens2:

Last edited:
hipsterdufus said:
Before anyone start freaking on the polls that I, for the most part, despise, keep in mind that I've previously expressed a caveat...here...In fact, it was in response to one of your posts, hip...

Having said that, here we go...

December 15, 2005
"Happy Holidays" Rings Hollow for Most Americans
One-third bothered by the generic greeting

by Lydia Saad

GALLUP NEWS SERVICE(Listen up...NOT FOX)...

PRINCETON, NJ -- Most Americans think the trend toward saying "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" at Christmastime is a change for the worse. But is it therefore a bad marketing decision for retailers to greet customers this way? Gallup finds some evidence of a consumer backlash, as 32% of Americans say it bothers them when stores use "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" in their displays at this time of year instead of "Merry Christmas."

Sixty-two percent of Americans say that the now nearly ubiquitous use of "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings," rather than "Merry Christmas," in many stores and public institutions is a change for the worse. Only 24% consider it a change for the better.

While the generic greetings bother a third of the public, there is almost unanimous public tolerance for the phrase, "Merry Christmas." Only 3% of national adults say it bothers them when stores specifically refer to the Christian holiday in their displays, rather than "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings."

Perhaps surprising, and counter to the inclusive rationale for saying "Happy Holidays," is the finding that only 5% of those who do not identify with any religion and just 8% of all non-Christians say they are bothered when confronted with "Merry Christmas" wishes while shopping.

http://poll.gallup.com/content/default.aspx?ci=20458

Either you are in the minority that is offended at the term "Merry Christmas", or you just salivate like Pavlov's dog at the mention of the word "Fox"...:roll:

the market for most major newspapers is primarily liberal

so yeah, the New York Times, Boston Globe or Philadelphia Inquirer is out of touch with most Americans, but not the Americans they're written for.

Red states have their Fox News or smoke signals or phermones or whatever those knuckle dragging sister ****ers use to mass communicate

I'm going to maintain that those who get their news from printed media are, in general, more educated than those who primarily resort to 24 hour cable news stations or network news. I don't have any actual evidence of this, but from the people I know, it's generally held true.

The stuff that spews from the mouths of the talking heads and the polarizing forces at work on television makes me want to gag.

The reason the printed media hasn't covered the 'war on christmas' as much as, say, bill o'reilly is because it is perhaps the dumbest political battle ever created. Anyone who's offended either by 'happy holidays' or 'merry christmas' has a veritable stick up one's butt.

Whatever your religion, this time of year is for peace and happiness. I'm not going to let pundits and spin doctors ruin that for me, no matter what. And anyone else who tries to ruin my holiday is going to get an ass whooping come January.

Mikkel said:
I'm going to maintain that those who get their news from printed media are, in general, more educated than those who primarily resort to 24 hour cable news stations or network news. I don't have any actual evidence of this, but from the people I know, it's generally held true.

The stuff that spews from the mouths of the talking heads and the polarizing forces at work on television makes me want to gag.

The reason the printed media hasn't covered the 'war on christmas' as much as, say, bill o'reilly is because it is perhaps the dumbest political battle ever created. Anyone who's offended either by 'happy holidays' or 'merry christmas' has a veritable stick up one's butt.

Whatever your religion, this time of year is for peace and happiness. I'm not going to let pundits and spin doctors ruin that for me, no matter what. And anyone else who tries to ruin my holiday is going to get an ass whooping come January.

I agree with the overall sentiment, but I don't believe that the "war on Christmas" wasn't as political until recent...

It's a social issue that has been brought it to the forefront, and politicians, seeing that it could become a "wedge issue" picked up the ball and ran with it...

cnredd said:
I agree with the overall sentiment, but I don't believe that the "war on Christmas" wasn't as political until recent...

It's a social issue that has been brought it to the forefront, and politicians, seeing that it could become a "wedge issue" picked up the ball and ran with it...

I think you're right in saying that it has become a wedge issue. My main point is that it isn't Christmas, per se, that is causing all of this trouble, but moreso the issue of Religion and Government. If politicians want to re-examine the role of religion in government (or lack thereof), they can go right ahead, but not at the expense of my holidays. That I won't stand for.

KCConservative said:
Interesting, because I see the effort to tear down Christmas, and I am not a Fox commentator or a Fox viewer.

You didn't read the end of my post . I said - "and their sheep." :roll:

It's the wedge issue du jour. The GOP would like for Dems to fear saying Merry Christmas and be suspected of being Republicans.

It's the same issue as hijacking the flag and God.

stsburns said:
So tell me again, how many days do you get off for Christmas? Also I wish you a Happy Verizon Day! :aliens2:

What's your point?

cnredd said:

It's a social issue that has been brought it to the forefront, and politicians, seeing that it could become a "wedge issue" picked up the ball and ran with it...[/QUOTE

Of course its become a wedge issue.The Repblicans knew that the leftist ideologues who run the democratic party .Couldn't let a pro-Christmas resoloution pass in the house un-opposed. So the democrats fell right into the Republican trap. By opposing the resoloution the democrats proved once again how out of touch they were with,the folks.

'Twas the Week Before Christmas: John Dingell

Congressman John Dingell summed up my sentiments on the subject beautifully. Delivered on the floor of the House:

BTW- Dingell is a devout Christian.

Twas the week before Christmas and all through the House
No bills were passed ‘bout which Fox News could grouse;
Tax cuts for the wealthy were passed with great cheer,
So vacations in St. Barts soon would be near;

Katrina kids were nestled all snug in motel beds,
While visions of school and home danced in their heads;
In Iraq our soldiers needed supplies and a plan,
Plus nuclear weapons were being built in Iran;

Gas prices shot up, consumer confidence fell;
Americans feared we were on a fast track to…well…
Wait--- we need a distraction--- something divisive and wily;
A fabrication straight from the mouth of O’Reilly

We can pretend that Christmas is under attack
Hold a vote to save it--- then pat ourselves on the back;
Silent Night, First Noel, Away in the Manger
Wake up Congress, they’re in no danger!

This time of year we see Christmas every where we go,
From churches, to homes, to schools, and yes…even Costco;
What we have is an attempt to divide and destroy,
When this is the season to unite us with joy

At Christmas time we’re taught to unite,
We don’t need a made-up reason to fight
So on O’Reilly, on Hannity, on Coulter, and those right wing blogs;
You should just sit back, relax…have a few egg nogs!

‘Tis the holiday season: enjoy it a pinch
With all our real problems, do we honestly need another Grinch?

So to my friends and my colleagues I say with delight,
A merry Christmas to all,
and to Bill O’Reilly…Happy Holidays.

Video here: http://www.democrats.house.gov/news/librarydetail.cfm?library_content_id=590

Last edited:
Re: 'Twas the Week Before Christmas: John Dingell

hipsterdufus said:
Congressman John Dingell summed up my sentiments on the subject beautifully. Delivered on the floor of the House:

BTW- Dingell is a devout Christian.

Video here: http://www.democrats.house.gov/news/librarydetail.cfm?library_content_id=590

Rep. Dingell was enetertaining,but. He like many liberals think religion should be put on a shelf and kept for sundays and in private. Sort of the way people in Communist and totolitarian countries have to celebrate their religions.

Re: 'Twas the Week Before Christmas: John Dingell

JOHNYJ said:
Rep. Dingell was enetertaining,but. He like many liberals think religion should be put on a shelf and kept for sundays and in private. Sort of the way people in Communist and totolitarian countries have to celebrate their religions.

Do you have a source for that baseless accusation?

I saw two interviews with Dingell on the subject and my sense is that he would say exactly the opposite.

JOHNYJ said:
Of course its become a wedge issue.The Repblicans knew that the leftist ideologues who run the democratic party .Couldn't let a pro-Christmas resoloution pass in the house un-opposed. So the democrats fell right into the Republican trap. By opposing the resoloution the democrats proved once again how out of touch they were with,the folks.

I don't know what you mean by 'out of touch with the folks,' but I'd say a majority of the constituents of democratic candidates in the House believe that government shouldn't favor one religion over another because it violates the principles of separation of church and state.

So I think they are pretty in touch with their constituents, and they're the only people House members are accoutable to. So when you say they're 'out of touch with the folks,' either you mean people outside of the Democratic districts, which is irrelevant, or you're severlely generalizing the American population. Your entire post was spin and rhetoric.

Mikkel said:
I don't know what you mean by 'out of touch with the folks,' but I'd say a majority of the constituents of democratic candidates in the House believe that government shouldn't favor one religion over another because it violates the principles of separation of church and state.

So I think they are pretty in touch with their constituents, and they're the only people House members are accoutable to. So when you say they're 'out of touch with the folks,' either you mean people outside of the Democratic districts, which is irrelevant, or you're severlely generalizing the American population. Your entire post was spin and rhetoric.

Where do you get favor ? its simply calling something what it is.Is Christmas , and its a Christmas Tree.
You will note that these democrats who you say were doing what their constituents allegedly wanted.Never actualy voted against the resoloution,why not ?

JOHNYJ said:
Where do you get favor ? its simply calling something what it is.Is Christmas , and its a Christmas Tree.
You will note that these democrats who you say were doing what their constituents allegedly wanted.Never actualy voted against the resoloution,why not ?

I'm not familiar with the resolution in question because I usually spend my time paying attention to legislation that actually matters (something I think our congress should be doing as well). But if democrats voted for the resolution, why are you making such a huff about it?

Back
Top Bottom