• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prince William criticized for cavalier treatment of Kate, while Harry is praised

MrNiceGuy

Symbiotic Pnemonic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
As they prepared to depart, Harry, 37, gallantly opened the door for his 41-year-old wife, who mouthed her thanks.

The Duke of Sussex then shut the door behind the “Suits” alum before going around to the other side of the car to get inside himself.
The former military pilot’s chivalrous behavior stood in sharp contrast to his 40-year-old brother, who didn’t bother to open the car door for Middleton, also 40.

“#PrinceHarry always protecting his precious better half #MeghanMarkle
“Prince Harry opening & closing the door for his wife, Princess Diana would be proud,” a third person tweeted.

Royal watchers also ripped William for the yawning gap between him and Middleton when they first got out of the car, comparing their distance to Harry and Markle’s hand-holding.

LOL, it's the current year, and we're having unironic discussions about how Harry was "gallant" and opened the door for his wife, making sure she was safely in the Rolls Royce before he himself got in. Can't be too careful, as the fragile flowers might have trouble with the car doors. LOL

Rather than receiving praise for treating his wife as an equal and capable partner, and not presuming she could not open a car door for herself, William receives scorn for not engaging in "everyday sexism" and infantilizing his wife. For shame....if anything is emblematic of the cis-het normative, western, white male patriarchal, colonial hierarchical society we live in, it's this. Harry gets heaps of praise in our media for treating Meghan like an invalid or a child, and William receives criticism for honoring his wife with the gift of egalitarian respect.

LOL, it's the current year, and we're having unironic discussions about how Harry was "gallant" and opened the door for his wife, making sure she was safely in the Rolls Royce before he himself got in. Can't be too careful, as the fragile flowers might have trouble with the car doors. LOL

Rather than receiving praise for treating his wife as an equal and capable partner, and not presuming she could not open a car door for herself, William receives scorn for not engaging in "everyday sexism" and infantilizing his wife. For shame....if anything is emblematic of the cis-het normative, western, white male patriarchal, colonial hierarchical society we live in, it's this. Harry gets heaps of praise in our media for treating Meghan like an invalid or a child, and William receives criticism for honoring his wife with the gift of egalitarian respect.

This is breaking news for political debate?

I'm guessing he was instructed to deflect from the success of the Ukrainian offensive

This is silly and petty. Maybe Meghan likes having the door open, and maybe Kate does not and maybe both have expressed their wishes to their husbands. Or maybe they never bothered because they don't feel that little decision, foretells anything about their husband's character except an unexamined marital habit.

This is silly and petty. Maybe Meghan likes having the door open, and maybe Kate does not and maybe both have expressed their wishes to their husbands. Or maybe they never bothered because they don't feel that little decision, foretells anything about their husband's character except an unexamined marital habit.
Growing up in the 60s, my mom impressed on me proper male manners, which included holding the door for a lady. When I hit campus in the 70's, women sometimes glared at me, or made cutting remarks, for me doing what I thought was a courtesy to them. I pretty quickly made a habit of NOT holding the door for any woman who did not have gray hair, even if she had an arm full of books. Screw 'em!

Husbands treat their wives differently.

News at ten.

Growing up in the 60s, my mom impressed on me proper male manners, which included holding the door for a lady. When I hit campus in the 70's, women sometimes glared at me, or made cutting remarks, for me doing what I thought was a courtesy to them. I pretty quickly made a habit of NOT holding the door for any woman who did not have gray hair, even if she had an arm full of books. Screw 'em!
Both my parents did as well. My Dad went from being a DA in a small rural county, to being a law professor in Oregon's capital city. His female students saw this issue very differently than the women did in that more conservative town. He learned to accomodate the locals. But he ALWAYS held those doors for his wife, and his mother and I don't think for a second either of them felt juvenalized or incompetent because he did. If I did not hold the door for my mother, she just stood there and waited and smiled until I figured out the delay.

Conservatives have been desperately trying to figure out some way to throw shade at their ex-royal punching bags - Harry and Meghan.
LOL, what's wrong with throwing shade on them? Don't Leftists throw shade on the entirety of the Monarchy? That's what they've been doing, some going so far as to applaud the death of the queen.

I'm not conservative, by the way, and I did not throw shade on Harry or Meghan. This thread doesn't throw shade on them at all.

Puts the war news, from the Ukraine, in the shade...

Who cares about the Ukraine liberating 6,000 sq km of territory ?
This is what people want to know...
Most threads on this forum are not about Ukraine.

I guess technically, we really don't know who the husband or wife is in these relationships, as they haven't specified whether they are men or women, and for all we know William and Kate could both be wives, or both husbands or Kate could be the husband, since for all we know they could identify as a non-traditional gender. To assume Kate is the wife is to enforce traditional gender identity and gender expression norms. I mean, just because Kate has female genitals and produces eggs and has had babies, wears dresses and skirts and otherwise expresses what oppressive European society suggests is feminine does not mean she is, in fact, a woman. Maybe she's a man, or maybe she alternates between man and woman, or maybe she has no gender, or is ambigender, bigender, trigender, two spirit or whatever, and as such can open up her own door. Hmmmm....

LOL, what's wrong with throwing shade on them? Don't Leftists throw shade on the entirety of the Monarchy? That's what they've been doing, some going so far as to applaud the death of the queen.
Nice attempt to deflect.
I'm not conservative, by the way, and I did not throw shade on Harry or Meghan. This thread doesn't throw shade on them at all.
Yes, you did.

"Harry gets heaps of praise in our media for treating Meghan like an invalid or a child,"

Nice attempt to deflect.
It's not an attempt to deflect. It's a statement of fact. Don't pretend you care about the Royal Family's feelings.
Yes, you did.
How did I do that? I never said it was wrong for him to open the door. I was commenting on the media reporting this, and the variety of folks commenting, that for some reason it was misbehavior on the part of William to NOT open the door for Kate, and the outpouring of sympathy for Kate who apparently should have been treated like Meghan was (as if she could not open her own door, or that a husband should make sure his wife is "safely" in the Rolls Royce before he himself gets in)
"Harry gets heaps of praise in our media for treating Meghan like an invalid or a child,"
Exactly - isn't that how he was treating her? Can she not open her own door? OUGHT she not open her own door? Why wouldn't the woman of the family, if that is what she is (we really have no way of knowing in the "current year", since she might identify as a man or otherwise), why wouldn't she or zee or they open her, zer or their own door AND open Harry's door, too? That's not "throwing shade" - it's pointing out that the door opening thing is very often said to constitute everyday sexism which reinforces traditional, oppressive, binary notions and patriarchal dominance. Or doesn't it? Maybe you don't think it does that.

It's not an attempt to deflect. It's a statement of fact. Don't pretend you care about the Royal Family's feelings.
Another deflection attempt. This thread is definitely not about me.
How did I do that? I never said it was wrong for him to open the door. I was commenting on the media reporting this, and the variety of folks commenting, that for some reason it was misbehavior on the part of William to NOT open the door for Kate, and the outpouring of sympathy for Kate who apparently should have been treated like Meghan was (as if she could not open her own door, or that a husband should make sure his wife is "safely" in the Rolls Royce before he himself gets in)

Exactly - isn't that how he was treating her? Can she not open her own door? OUGHT she not open her own door? Why wouldn't the woman of the family, if that is what she is (we really have no way of knowing in the "current year", since she might identify as a man or otherwise), why wouldn't she or zee or they open her, zer or their own door AND open Harry's door, too? That's not "throwing shade" - it's pointing out that the door opening thing is very often said to constitute everyday sexism which reinforces traditional, oppressive, binary notions and patriarchal dominance. Or doesn't it? Maybe you don't think it does that.
That's right, posting that a man is treating a woman like a child or invalid is a compliment to the man and the woman. /s

Have a lovely day.

Last edited:

With all these articles coming out, its clear that the reverence for the Royals by the public at large is over since the Queen died. Now it's gonna be a free for all.

With all these articles coming out, its clear that the reverence for the Royals by the public at large is over since the Queen died. Now it's gonna be a free for all.
MSNBC's hosts were declaring the Royal Family racist and responsible for the evils of slavery.

Reactions: PoS
Both my parents did as well. My Dad went from being a DA in a small rural county, to being a law professor in Oregon's capital city. His female students saw this issue very differently than the women did in that more conservative town. He learned to accomodate the locals. But he ALWAYS held those doors for his wife, and his mother and I don't think for a second either of them felt juvenalized or incompetent because he did. If I did not hold the door for my mother, she just stood there and waited and smiled until I figured out the delay.
I have now attained enough age and gray hair that young women sometimes hold the door for ME. I am perfectly capable of opening my own doors. I do NOT glare or make snide remarks. I smile and say Thank You. They are being considerate, whether I need the help or not, and I appreciate that. There is too damn little of it in society today!

I have now attained enough age and gray hair that young women sometimes hold the door for ME. I am perfectly capable of opening my own doors. I do NOT glare or make snide remarks. I smile and say Thank You. They are being considerate, whether I need the help or not, and I appreciate that. There is too damn little of it in society today!
I am not quite that old, but you know people can always ask... 'May I open this for you?' is a nice gesture when I have two boxes I am carrying and that a .4 year old kid hanging off my right hand

Back
Top Bottom