• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

PRIDE MONTH!

AGENT J

"If you ain't first, you're last"
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Happy Pride Month!

whitehouse-rainbow-general-share1200.jpg

I’ve witnessed some great history in my lifetime when it comes to equal, civil and human rights.

19 years ago (2003) this month Lawrence v. Texas SCOTUS ruled that American laws prohibiting private homosexual activity between consenting adults are unconstitutional.

12 years ago (2010) Dec. DADT was ended (wasn’t effective until 2011) allowing gay, lesbian, and bisexual people to serve openly in the United States Armed Forces.

7 years ago (2015) during this month Obergefell v. Hodges, SCOTUS ruled that the fundamental right to marry is guaranteed to same-sex couples by both the Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

This month, 2 years ago Bostock v. Clayton County SCOTUS ruled Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 protects employees against discrimination because of their sexual orientation or gender identity

as recent as 2010 or so I NEVER thought I’d see some of this is history!! I didn’t think I’d see equal rights for marriage but I figured my kids would or at worse grandkids would. But then that changed around 2012, about a year after DADT ended. Progress was happening, people were standing up for right over wrong. Hopefully, I get to see much more of that in my lifetime! It makes me so proud of my country and so many fellow Americans.

The best part of equality advancing is that it would have been much HARDER without those that oppose it. Those people actually HELPED what they feared come true. When discrimination and bigotry were just practiced, it was still wrong, but it was much harder to fight against. But these people were so proud of their vile ways they just HAD to start making bigoted LAWS and putting it in WRITING. It was that very move that allowed things to be challenged in the courts. I’ll never understand how people keep using the same failed arguments over and over again and they think they will work. The same failed arguments against woman’s rights, religious rights, against slavery, against minority rights, against interracial marriage etc etc. All those arguments failed because they had no rational, logical and legal merit then, so why does anybody EVER think they will work now. LOL Anyway the constitution, liberty, freedom, equal, civil and human rights all march on beating down bigotry and ignorance. Its always great when America rights its wrongs because we all win!!
blank.gif

🇺🇲We The People means EVERYBODY!🇺🇲

#PrideMonth
#EqualRights #HumanRights #CivilRights
#ProudIndependent #DemandBetter

Spread love and smiles not hate!
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

Last edited:
I appreciate the sentiment, but there are some parts I disagree with.

The best part of equality advancing is that it would have been much HARDER without those that oppose it.
This is just...absurd to me? Having a strong political force opposed to equality and up with an end to equality. Saudi Arabia's strong opposition to human rights has hardly led to a stronger pro-equality political force gaining popularity.

If there was no political force opposed to MLK we would have had a very short civil rights movement.

I’ll never understand how people keep using the same failed arguments over and over again and they think they will work. The same failed arguments against woman’s rights, religious rights, against slavery, against minority rights, against interracial marriage etc etc.
They think that because it does and has worked. It has worked in the past, it is working today, and it will keep working in the future. Multiple states are getting ready to ban or severely limit abortion. States are rolling back trans rights. They'll come for same sex marriage next.

The Weimar Republic legally recognized trans gender people and you could transition. They were even doing medical research for gender affirming surgeries. One of the last laws proposed was a bill that would have legalized same sex marriage. It passed but before it could be confirmed Hitler dissolved the Reichstag.

We are watching now as civil rights are slowly eroded in Hungary.

We aren't special. These arguments work. These tactics work. Everything can be undone at any point if it isn't fought for.

Yes, the progress toward decent treatment of gay people has been phenomenal.

I am so old (85) that I remember:

1. The cops in the Big (Rotten) Apple would urge landlords to kick out gay tenants.
2. The cops here in Los Angeles bragged about the thousands of gay men entrapped by vice cops.
3. How a ballot measure in the late 1970s here in California sought to forbid gay teachers (it failed).
4. How Harvard used to kick out gay students and faculty.
5. How the Post Office refused to deliver magazines with photos of young men clad only in skimpy briefs.
6. How a (retired) police chief here in Los Angeles could say something like: "I don't dislike homosexuals. They just leave more women for us real men."

This is just...absurd to me?
but its 100% true
Having a strong political force opposed to equality and up with an end to equality. Saudi Arabia's strong opposition to human rights has hardly led to a stronger pro-equality political force gaining popularity.
saudi =/= america and our constitution that's where your mistake is
They think that because it does and has worked. It has worked in the past, it is working today, and it will keep working in the future. Multiple states are getting ready to ban or severely limit abortion. States are rolling back trans rights. They'll come for same sex marriage next.
and they will fail in the long run just like history shows
We aren't special. These arguments work. These tactics work. Everything can be undone at any point if it isn't fought for.
they wont in the end

saudi =/= america and our constitution that's where your mistake is
And how well is the constitution protecting abortion rights at the moment?

and they will fail in the long run just like history shows
Lets assume that's true. What about all the people in the "short run"? The years or decades of oppression?

Humans haven't evolved in the last 1,000 years. We didn't get some kind of "women should be able to vote" gene. The only thing holding the rights and political beliefs in place are the social systems we've created. My only point is that viewing progress and civil rights as an inevitable forward march is dangerous. They aren't fixed. They aren't set in stone. We can lose them and they have to be actively fought for after they are won.

And how well is the constitution protecting abortion rights at the moment?
abortion rights arent in the constitution
again this changes nothing about your mistake of comparing saufi to america

Ill try to show the facts better
what sped up civil and equal rights for marriage were the many bigots that rushed to make laws against gays. These gave normal people something tangible to challenge, they put the discrimination in writing.
so the constitutionality of these laws were then challenged and that helped equal and civil rights for marriage be established. WIth out the bigots doing that it would have been a harder process.🤷‍♂️
Lets assume that's true. What about all the people in the "short run"? The years or decades of oppression?
its horrible start a thread about it
My only point is that viewing progress and civil rights as an inevitable forward march is dangerous.
good thing I don't and didn't do that then. 😉 I simply pointed out the reality that in this case it is marching on and it is winning, never mentioned it was inevitable, in fact I mentioned that I thought id never see it in my life time

Uhg, the rainbow flag makes me barf, but otherwise, Happy Pride Month! I'm working on a fund raiser for the month at work to raise funds for a local charity that assists at risk LGBT youth.

Happy Pride Month!

I’ve witnessed some great history in my lifetime when it comes to equal, civil and human rights.

19 years ago (2003) this month Lawrence v. Texas SCOTUS ruled that American laws prohibiting private homosexual activity between consenting adults are unconstitutional.

12 years ago (2010) Dec. DADT was ended (wasn’t effective until 2011) allowing gay, lesbian, and bisexual people to serve openly in the United States Armed Forces.

7 years ago (2015) during this month Obergefell v. Hodges, SCOTUS ruled that the fundamental right to marry is guaranteed to same-sex couples by both the Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

This month, 2 years ago Bostock v. Clayton County SCOTUS ruled Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 protects employees against discrimination because of their sexual orientation or gender identity

as recent as 2010 or so I NEVER thought I’d see some of this is history!! I didn’t think I’d see equal rights for marriage but I figured my kids would or at worse grandkids would. But then that changed around 2012, about a year after DADT ended. Progress was happening, people were standing up for right over wrong. Hopefully, I get to see much more of that in my lifetime! It makes me so proud of my country and so many fellow Americans.

The best part of equality advancing is that it would have been much HARDER without those that oppose it. Those people actually HELPED what they feared come true. When discrimination and bigotry were just practiced, it was still wrong, but it was much harder to fight against. But these people were so proud of their vile ways they just HAD to start making bigoted LAWS and putting it in WRITING. It was that very move that allowed things to be challenged in the courts. I’ll never understand how people keep using the same failed arguments over and over again and they think they will work. The same failed arguments against woman’s rights, religious rights, against slavery, against minority rights, against interracial marriage etc etc. All those arguments failed because they had no rational, logical and legal merit then, so why does anybody EVER think they will work now. LOL Anyway the constitution, liberty, freedom, equal, civil and human rights all march on beating down bigotry and ignorance. Its always great when America rights its wrongs because we all win!!
blank.gif

#PrideMonth

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜
I share the quote often attributed to Voltaire, and slightly modify it to certain behaviors or lifestyles. "I don’t agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” I don't agree with the lifestyle but what you do in your home or in your life, as long as it doesn't harm someone else, I don't much care. I do care when someone tries to make me feel bad for my stand on the issue, or for not being supportive of it.
It appears to me that the left typically doesn't want just to be accepted but to be approved of. I don't approve and doubt I will change my mind. I suspect the left will not either.

abortion rights arent in the constitution
again this changes nothing about your mistake of comparing saufi to america

Ill try to show the facts better
what sped up civil and equal rights for marriage were the many bigots that rushed to make laws against gays. These gave normal people something tangible to challenge, they put the discrimination in writing.
so the constitutionality of these laws were then challenged and that helped equal and civil rights for marriage be established. WIth out the bigots doing that it would have been a harder process.🤷‍♂️

its horrible start a thread about it

good thing I don't and didn't do that then. 😉 I simply pointed out the reality that in this case it is marching on and it is winning, never mentioned it was inevitable, in fact I mentioned that I thought id never see it in my life time

The Supreme court has ruled, and re-affirmed that it is.

Does anybody know when we celebrate the Straight, White, Christian, Patriotic American Male?

I don't agree with the lifestyle but what you do in your home or in your life, as long as it doesn't harm someone else, I don't much care.
what is the gay lifestyle? to my knowledge one doesn't actually exist in any real form
I do care when someone tries to make me feel bad for my stand on the issue, or for not being supportive of it.
dont know your "stance" on the issues but if its one of ignorance and or bigotry that's your issue you should feel bad
ill never try to make anybody "feel" bad I couldn't care less but I will point out the factual ignorance and bigotry of it "IF" that's what a persons stance is
It appears to me that the left typically doesn't want just to be accepted but to be approved of. I don't approve and doubt I will change my mind. I suspect the left will not either.
well it appears that some of your stances are in fact based on pure ignorance then lol

Does anybody know when we celebrate the Straight, White, Christian, Patriotic American Male?
I think they are all a tad silly, I just am seeing a chance to raise money to help young people so, meh.

I believe that's called the 4th of July.

Do Straight, White, Christian, Patriotic American Males not have equal and civil rights in this country, are they still fighting for more and or were they recently just granted them? no then that's 365 days a year LOL

I love how the celebration of civil and equal rights triggers people
😂

That would be every other day of the year for the last 246 years.

Don't feel threatened, its a waste of blood pressure.

Happy Pride Month!

blank.gif

#PrideMonth

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜
And while signaling support doesn't mean much, the bigger the stage the faster this will no longer require signaling.
1654097767729.png

And while signaling support doesn't mean much, the bigger the stage the faster this will no longer require signaling.
View attachment 67394178
AGREED 100%

i love to see the vast amount of companies that support LGBT and BLM and do so in such force!

NBA, MLB, NHL, NASCAR and many others have done so and its awesome

all my local teams Steelers, Pens and Pirates have also had shirts and jerseys, patches etc

AGREED 100%

i love to see the vast amount of companies that support LGBT and BLM and do so in such force!

NBA, MLB, NHL, NASCAR and many others have done so and its awesome

all my local teams Steelers, Pens and Pirates have also had shirts and jerseys, patches etc
...and the world hasn't ended.

Back
Top Bottom