• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Trump endorses major prison, sentencing reform legislation

Trump didn't lose he settled. Lots of suits are settled to avoid the cost of defense. I once paid 48k to my lawyer because I was sued for 18k. I won the suit but my defense cost me 30K more than if I had just paid the amount I was sued for. .

As I understand the case, it was a property owned by his father and then put in Donald's name.

The actions happened under his father, not him.

Yes Jared Kushner's father Charles Kushner pled guilty to tax evasion, witness tampering, and offering illegal campaign donations. He served his time and went back to his real estate business long before 2016.

Just like Chelsea Clinton's father-in-law Edward Mezvinsky a very good friend of Bill and Hillary Clinton in 2001 was convicted of 31 charges of felony fraud, and served five years in federal prison.

I don't know what the heck your comment has to do with prison reform that has bi-partisan support only to be a cheap shot.

Is it now your stand that the child of someone who commits a crime is guilty also? My goodness out of all the shady things the Clintons have done over the years or the fact that a family friend and the father in law to Chelsea Clinton served time in prison , I certainly don't hold that against Chelsea Clinton.

The things Kushner and others have been working on to bring about prison reform will benefit society. It is a good thing.

I see in my few months gone the idiotic "but but but....THE CLINTONS" hasn't gone away.

Why don't we start a thread about the Clintons, and get back to the subject of this one, which isn't about the Clintons. Let me help you understand what we're talking about. Prison reform. Donald Trump. Jared Kushner. Yup, no mention of the Clintons.

Why did I mention Kushner's father? Because if you had read the story, you would know that this is being championed by....you guessed it! Jared Kushner.

"Today I'm thrilled to announce my support for this bipartisan bill that will make our communities safer, and give former inmates a second chance at life after they served their time,"
What they heck is wrong with that? Because Trump said it?
Who proposed that former inmates should be able to vote? Wasn't there also talk that former inmates should have a better chances to integrate back into society? So again, what the heck is wrong with what Trump said?

What are you talking about? Our system NEEDS reform. Horribly.

And did you miss the part where there's bi-partisan agreement on it? Not to mention several law enforcement agencies that are endorsing it? How about the part where its rolling back some of Bill Clintons provisions which harmed black people?

Funny how you Trump haters hate Trump so much that you'll condemn something that actually HELPS the very things you've all decried about in the past.
Try that again, bud. I'm not a liberal in any sense of the term.

Sent from my HTC phone. Instaurare omnia in Christo.

"Black people"? Who said anything about black people?

Aren't you being just a little bit racist here?
This whole thread is about how the legislation will help blacks. I'm simply pointing out in response to those who think blacks will appreciate it that they'll never vote Republican. It's a foolish idea.

It depends on which criminals you're talking about. I agree that violent crimes should be punished severely. The problem that needs to be addressed is long sentences for first time drug offenders. This has led to prison overcrowding and paroling of violent criminals to make room for them.
Drug dealers need to be put away at least for multiple years. They're a blight on society.

This whole thread is about how the legislation will help blacks. I'm simply pointing out in response to those who think blacks will appreciate it that they'll never vote Republican. It's a foolish idea.

Oh...my bad. I thought it was about prison sentencing reform. You DO know that blacks aren't the only ones who get sentenced to prison...right?

Moving on...

Did Trump lose?
Fact-Trump was given an award for helping the black community in NYC.

Yeah, it's amazing what money can buy.

Even to the point of ignoring the fact that he was such a racist he refused to rent to black tenants.

No vacancies for Blacks

But some money in the right palms, and voila.

I apologize for lumping you in with all other Trump haters in this instance.

For all other Trump haters that actually gave credit to Trump on this one, without the pathetic snark like the OP displayed, what I said in post 36 does not apply to you.

Thank you. :)

Of course, Trump has said many things in the past that have just been blatant lies, so we will have to see how this works out, but I've got my fingers crossed, this is sooooo long overdue.

US Incarceration Rate

Last edited:
Yeah, it's amazing what money can buy.

Even to the point of ignoring the fact that he was such a racist he refused to rent to black tenants.

No vacancies for Blacks

But some money in the right palms, and voila.

You do realize you are saying black people can be bought, right? You do know that it was a black American organization which honored Trump, right? Jesse Jackson can be bought? Well, I can't argue that one too much.

As I understand the case, it was a property owned by his father and then put in Donald's name.

The actions happened under his father, not him.

Donald was president of the company. He's responsible.

Or from this point forward is everything excusable, just blame it on the parents?

You do realize you are saying black people can be bought, right?

Do you think black people are somehow inherently different than other ethnic groups, and that no members of their ethnicity can be bought?

You do know that it was a black American organization which honored Trump, right?

And that has what to do with the fact that Trump is a racist who wouldn't rent to black tenants?

Jesse Jackson can be bought? Well, I can't argue that one too much.

Again, what does anything you posted have to do with Trump being a racist, and refusing to rent to black tenants?

Do you think black people are somehow inherently different than other ethnic groups, and that no members of their ethnicity can be bought?

And that has what to do with the fact that Trump is a racist who wouldn't rent to black tenants?

Again, what does anything you posted have to do with Trump being a racist, and refusing to rent to black tenants?

I reject your faulty premise that it is factually correct that your oft-invoked lawsuit proves Trump is a racist, while at the same time, your assertion that Trump had to grease the palms of black people to be recognized with an award.

I reject your faulty premise that it is factually correct that your oft-invoked lawsuit proves Trump is a racist,

Oh, you think that's the only evidence that Trump is a racist? I'm sorry, I thought it was common knowledge that Trump is blatant racist. I'm amazed there are still people around who are unaware of this. There are plenty of other evidence that Trump is a racist, he actually has a long and well documented history of racist behaviour.

Trump Has A Long And Well-Documented History Of Racist Behavior

Even the leader of his own party agrees he makes racist comments:

Ryan: Trump's comments 'textbook definition' of racism

And of course, this last campaign, Trump's strategy for energizing the base was using fear, hatred, and racism to motivate them:

Fox News, NBC, and Facebook pulled Trump's racist campaign ad

Trump's Midterm Closing Argument: Pure Racial Fear

Which apparently was a good strategy, because according to numerous studies published in peer reveiwed journals, racism was one of the primary factors driving Trump voters:

Research Finds That Racism, Sexism, and Status Fears Drove Trump Voters

You realize, that based on Trump's strategy, he believes his base are largely composed of cowardly racists, right? And the research confirms Trump's beliefs about his base. Interesting, isn't it.

And that's not even getting into Trump publicly supporting KKK and Neo Nazis, saying some are "very fine people."

Trump Defends White-Nationalist Protesters: 'Some Very Fine People'

(Let's leave this one to the end if you want to discuss it, because I'm confident you will use the usual poor excuses to try and justify what Trump did, and it is not relevant to this thread. Thanks.)

while at the same time, your assertion that Trump had to grease the palms of black people to be recognized with an award.

Greasing palms is very often how this type of award is won. But of course, you are free to ignore Trump's long and well documented history of racist behaviour, and his blatantly racist campaign. It's very common among Trump supporters, and those who pretend they aren't, but are.

Anyways, hopefully Trump isn't just lying about prison reform, and really means it. It will help people of all ethnic backgrounds in the USA.

Last edited:
Try that again, bud. I'm not a liberal in any sense of the term.

Ok. Then how about the rest of my post? Why do you think that our system regarding this does not deserve reformed?

Oh...my bad. I thought it was about prison sentencing reform. You DO know that blacks aren't the only ones who get sentenced to prison...right?

Moving on...

Lol. Your colorblindness while you're being attacked solely because of your race is why you are never going to win elections again.

Ok. Then how about the rest of my post? Why do you think that our system regarding this does not deserve reformed?

Stories like this:

City Journal said:
In an effort to combat the “school to prison pipeline,” schools across the country have come under pressure from the federal government and civil rights activists to reduce suspensions, expulsions, and in-school arrests. The unintended consequences of pressuring schools to produce ever-lower discipline statistics deserve much more examination.

Florida’s Broward County, home to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, was among the leaders in this nationwide policy shift. According to Washington Post reporting, Broward County schools once recorded more in-school arrests than any other Florida district. But in 2013, the school board and the sheriff’s office agreed on a new policy to discontinue police referrals for a dozen infractions ranging from drug use to assault. The number of school-based arrests plummeted by 63 percent from 2012 to 2016. The Obama administration lauded Broward’s reforms, and in 2015 invited the district’s superintendent to the White House for an event, “Rethink Discipline,” that would highlight the success of Broward and other localities’ success in “transforming policies and school climate.”

Confessed killer Nikolas Cruz, a notorious and emotionally disturbed student, was suspended from Stoneman Douglas High. He was even expelled for bringing weapons to school. Yet he was never arrested before the shooting. In a county less devoted to undoing school disciplinary policies, perhaps Cruz would have been arrested for one of his many violent or threatening incidents. When Cruz got into a fight in September of 2016, he was referred to social workers rather than to the police. When he allegedly assaulted a student in January 2017, it triggered a school-based threat assessment—but no police involvement. The Washington Post notes that Cruz “was well-known to school and mental health authorities and was entrenched in the process for getting students help rather than referring them to law enforcement.”

https://www.city-journal.org/html/how-did-parkland-shooter-slip-through-cracks-15741.html

And this:

https://www.americanthinker.com/art...ence_wasnt_the_problem_in_broward_county.html

Basically, much of the supposed drop in crime, especially recently, is due to police no longer enforcing laws. And despite that we have rising violent crime rates to go along with rising anti-social behaviors. I don't see a society that's becoming more peaceful where we can be more lax with crimes. Instead, I see a decaying society with increasing violence. Why would we decrease punishments in the face of that?

Stories like this:

https://www.city-journal.org/html/how-did-parkland-shooter-slip-through-cracks-15741.html

And this:

https://www.americanthinker.com/art...ence_wasnt_the_problem_in_broward_county.html

Basically, much of the supposed drop in crime, especially recently, is due to police no longer enforcing laws. And despite that we have rising violent crime rates to go along with rising anti-social behaviors. I don't see a society that's becoming more peaceful where we can be more lax with crimes. Instead, I see a decaying society with increasing violence. Why would we decrease punishments in the face of that?

Interesting article phat. A couple of questions I would have would be:

1. Have there been any confessed killers from school districts where they do report students to the police immediately? I'm willing to be yes, so unless you have a study showing causation, it doesn't have much to do with whether the program works or not.

2. Is there any data regarding has the program had it's intended effect? ie, has the program increased/decreased the student -> justice system pipeline mentioned in the article?

I'm not trying to argue, I was interested in getting any data/information you have.

IM Going to say it out LOUD. faith in bipartisanship has been restored for me reading this thread. Im so happy that those they may not like the current POTUS can at least put it down for a moment and appreciate when something while NOT all appreciated get done.

I Truly hope this will continue. THANK you to both sides that regardless support something that may help better our society.......

Lol. Your colorblindness while you're being attacked solely because of your race is why you are never going to win elections again.

???

Wait. Do you think I'm running for election?

That's nonsense.

And who is attacking me for my race?

More nonsense.

???

Wait. Do you think I'm running for election?

That's nonsense.

And who is attacking me for my race?

More nonsense.
Do you think people who talk about white privilege like white people?

Interesting article phat. A couple of questions I would have would be:

1. Have there been any confessed killers from school districts where they do report students to the police immediately? I'm willing to be yes, so unless you have a study showing causation, it doesn't have much to do with whether the program works or not.

2. Is there any data regarding has the program had it's intended effect? ie, has the program increased/decreased the student -> justice system pipeline mentioned in the article?

I'm not trying to argue, I was interested in getting any data/information you have.
I'm not sure about number 1. As for number 2, sure it worked. There are fewer people incarcerated in those areas. Has it actually made those places safer? No.

Back
Top Bottom