• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

President Trump endorses major prison, sentencing reform legislation

When you are the president, and you know that you and your friends will soon be going to jail. :mrgreen:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pre...ntencing-reform-legislation/story?id=59195616

So far, nobody here sees this for what it is. I'm not surprised since most here have nothing on their minds except "get Trump".

This is a very smart move by Trump to lead with this legislation after the so-called "blue wave".

1. It helps people who are in prison. It helps their families. Those people will be very appreciative of Trump if this gets passed.

2. It helps the GOP because they'll get behind this with no problems and they'll share in the appreciation.

3. It puts the Dems on the spot. It'll be very hard for them to oppose this...and you know many would oppose this just to "get Trump". So, they'll go along with it and their rabid leftwing base will be pissed at them.

So far, nobody here sees this for what it is. I'm not surprised since most here have nothing on their minds except "get Trump".

This is a very smart move by Trump to lead with this legislation after the so-called "blue wave".

1. It helps people who are in prison. It helps their families. Those people will be very appreciative of Trump if this gets passed.

2. It helps the GOP because they'll get behind this with no problems and they'll share in the appreciation.

3. It puts the Dems on the spot. It'll be very hard for them to oppose this...and you know many would oppose this just to "get Trump". So, they'll go along with it and their rabid leftwing base will be pissed at them.

Black people aren't going to vote Republican. This is a fool's errand if they think they'll pick up black votes.

pbox.php

Well, if anyone knows about prisons, it's Jared. His father spent some time in one.

Yes Jared Kushner's father Charles Kushner pled guilty to tax evasion, witness tampering, and offering illegal campaign donations. He served his time and went back to his real estate business long before 2016.

Just like Chelsea Clinton's father-in-law Edward Mezvinsky a very good friend of Bill and Hillary Clinton in 2001 was convicted of 31 charges of felony fraud, and served five years in federal prison.

I don't know what the heck your comment has to do with prison reform that has bi-partisan support only to be a cheap shot.

Is it now your stand that the child of someone who commits a crime is guilty also? My goodness out of all the shady things the Clintons have done over the years or the fact that a family friend and the father in law to Chelsea Clinton served time in prison , I certainly don't hold that against Chelsea Clinton.

The things Kushner and others have been working on to bring about prison reform will benefit society. It is a good thing.

There's a lot of reform necessary, we'll see what this actually does, but from the article

There is a measure to retroactively apply updated sentencing guidelines between crack and powder cocaine, will eliminate a regulation that makes it a federal crime to possess a firearm while committing another crime, give judges greater latitude to sidestep mandatory minimums for nonviolent drug offenses, and shorten mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent drug offenders.

Step in the right direction.

I'd like someone to explain to me how, in the midst of an increase in violent crime, scandals about police not reporting crime, and a decrease in social trust, why giving criminals lighter sentences is good for society.

It depends on which criminals you're talking about. I agree that violent crimes should be punished severely. The problem that needs to be addressed is long sentences for first time drug offenders. This has led to prison overcrowding and paroling of violent criminals to make room for them.

More positive outcomes for black Americans delivered by Trump. Did Obama address this?

Obama wasn't sued/lost/settled for discriminating against blacks.....but Trump was ( fact )

Jesus ****ing h Christ dude. I guess you want a binky blanket amendment to soothe you. What's your real problem here?

Phatts is sure that whites are a persecuted majority and he's indignant about it.

Black people aren't going to vote Republican. This is a fool's errand if they think they'll pick up black votes.

pbox.php

"Black people"? Who said anything about black people?

Aren't you being just a little bit racist here?

Obama wasn't sued/lost/settled for discriminating against blacks.....but Trump was ( fact )

Did Trump lose?
Fact-Trump was given an award for helping the black community in NYC.

This is disgusting. He was voted in to take care of crime and make our communities safer, not to be nice to criminals.

Thanks, Jared. I hope you sleep better at night in the basement when you have Netanyahu over sleeping in your bed.

What are you talking about? Our system NEEDS reform. Horribly.

And did you miss the part where there's bi-partisan agreement on it? Not to mention several law enforcement agencies that are endorsing it? How about the part where its rolling back some of Bill Clintons provisions which harmed black people?

Funny how you Trump haters hate Trump so much that you'll condemn something that actually HELPS the very things you've all decried about in the past.

Trump has a heart and doesn't want to send Hillary to jail forever.

Always humorous to see a Trump cultist let the forum know HRC is still living in the cranium rent free 750 days after the election... 'Texas Proud.'

Trump didn't lose he settled. Lots of suits are settled to avoid the cost of defense. I once paid 48k to my lawyer because I was sued for 18k. I won the suit but my defense cost me 30K more than if I had just paid the amount I was sued for. .

Always humorous to see a Trump cultist let the forum know HRC is still living in the cranium rent free 750 days after the election... 'Texas Proud.'
Hey she is going to be your candidate in 2020:lamo

What are you talking about? Our system NEEDS reform. Horribly.

And did you miss the part where there's bi-partisan agreement on it? Not to mention several law enforcement agencies that are endorsing it? How about the part where its rolling back some of Bill Clintons provisions which harmed black people?

Funny how you Trump haters hate Trump so much that you'll condemn something that actually HELPS the very things you've all decried about in the past.

Hay wait a minute. I'm a Trump hater and I gave him credit. Phatts is in a league of his own.

Hey she is going to be your candidate in 2020:lamo

Thanks again for letting the forum know HRC will continue to live in your cranium rent free for another 750 days.....well done....:thumbs:

Hay wait a minute. I'm a Trump hater and I gave him credit. Phatts is in a league of his own.

I apologize for lumping you in with all other Trump haters in this instance.

For all other Trump haters that actually gave credit to Trump on this one, without the pathetic snark like the OP displayed, what I said in post 36 does not apply to you.

I don't think she is really alive :lamo

So you have a corpse living in your head rent free. Thanks for sharing that little diddy with the forum. ...:lol:

So you have a corpse living in your head rent free. Thanks for sharing that little diddy with the forum. ...:lol:
I really should start charging her because that is prime real estate. Maybe she will move to the slums in your cranium.

The House passed FIRST STEP six months ago. Trump isn't leading on this, but it's nice that he's taking an interest now.

Well, until this administration, Republicans have been virtually united in demanding longer and stiffer sentences for blacks. And the Republican base, and the NRA, were virtually 100% behind them. Anyone who dared suggest going easier on convicted criminals were subjected to constant attacks from the right. Don't forget, imprisonment has been big business for a while now, and Republicans love them some free enterprise, especially when it comes to making a profit locking up non-whites.

Ethnicity
See also: Race and crime in the United States and Racial inequality in the American criminal justice system
2010. Inmates in adult facilities, by race and ethnicity. Jails, and state and federal prisons.[56]
Race, ethnicity % of US population % of U.S. incarcerated population National incarceration rate (per 100,000 of all ages)
White (non-Hispanic) 64 39 450 per 100,000
Hispanic 16 19 831 per 100,000
Black 13 40 2,306 per 100,000

Even Trump. Until he was in power, he wanted the death sentence for blacks, even when they were proven innocent by DNA. Didn't matter a lick to Trump, he just wanted them locked up...for the crime of being black apparently:

Trump Is Still The Same Man Who Wanted The Central Park Five Executed

In 2002, the actual perpetrator, Matias Reyes, confessed to the crime. DNA testing revealed he’d committed the crime alone. Raymond and the rest of the Central Park Five were exonerated.

One might assume an apology was in order, but Trump refused to acknowledge his error and instead continued to insist the Central Park Five were guilty. In a 2014 opinion piece, he called the city of New York’s multimillion-dollar settlement for the exonerated men “a disgrace.”

That said, the USA's prison system is in desperate need of reform, so good on him or anyone who can get the ball rolling in that direction.

Is this a joke?

Who was President when mandatory sentencing passed and who's wife called them predators or something like that??

Back
Top Bottom