• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pregnant woman walks into a bar: In NYC, you must serve her

they are not excluding males for being pregnant
definitely gender bias would be present

If they serve other women, the gender bias would NOT be present.

If they serve other women, the gender bias would NOT be present.

so, you are saying it is ok to exclude women, just not all of them

don't think that would flush in federal court

Meh, if a pregnant lady wants a drink, I'm not gonna chastise her for it. None of my business, it's her kid and her life.

I've occupied the position and I agree with you... no drinks from me if I know you're pregnant. Doesn't stop her from going to a liqueur store.

While I believe a business has a right to do business or not do business with whomever they want I have to wonder why you think you know better the woman, her doctor and doctors generally. Hen my kids were born our obstetrician did not forbid my wife from drinking. In fact she felt the occasional glass of wine would be good for her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Meh, if a pregnant lady wants a drink, I'm not gonna chastise her for it. None of my business, it's her kid and her life.

[edit] some libertarians have come out in opposition to this live and let live approach
strange

they are not excluding males for being pregnant
definitely gender bias would be present

:roll: I have no words to describe that post.

You mean like the Right wing, telling folks what to there body?

What exactly do you think is called for to serve someone alcohol? Hint: People need to move their body for it to happen.

if it is a public, rather than private, bar
it would subject itself to potential suit for discrimination by gender

Does the government own bars?

It's a pity you had to come up with a such a silly argument.

an equal rights issue, where women are treated differently than men
what causes that to be found 'silly'

an equal rights issue, where women are treated differently than men
what causes that to be found 'silly'

You're fully aware why the argument is silly. Regardless, even if I was to consider your invalid argument there would STILL be no valid reason to force bartenders to serve them.

You're fully aware why the argument is silly. Regardless, even if I was to consider your invalid argument there would STILL be no valid reason to force bartenders to serve them.

that the public place would refuse to serve a woman, while still serving a man is different in what way from an establishment that would serve a white customer but not a black customer
entertain us with your silliness

that the public place would refuse to serve a woman, while still serving a man is different in what way from an establishment that would serve a white customer but not a black customer
entertain us with your silliness

Ahem...they are refusing service based on the fact she is pregnant. I think I answered your silly male pregnancy counter argument, so lets move on.

Ahem...they are refusing service based on the fact she is pregnant. I think I answered your silly male pregnancy counter argument, so lets move on.

are they then going to administer a pregnancy test to make sure she is actually pregnant and not overweight

are they then going to administer a pregnancy test to make sure she is actually pregnant and not overweight

Sigh. If they are wrong then that is unfortunate, but it doesn't prove they made their decision based on the fact she is a woman.

Sigh. If they are wrong then that is unfortunate, but it doesn't prove they made their decision based on the fact she is a woman.
certainly they did
they would make no such decision where a male customer was involved

certainly they did
they would make no such decision where a male customer was involved

And you are fully aware as to why. Why are you searching for a way to nail them under existing law? You are fully aware why they made their decision, so stop this dishonest trash.

And you are fully aware as to why. Why are you searching for a way to nail them under existing law? You are fully aware why they made their decision, so stop this dishonest trash.

because it would be a violation of existing law
duh, discrimination against a protected class

while you would approve the sale of that drink to a male customer with diabetes, where such alcohol would be deleterious to his condition

because it would be a violation of existing law
duh, discrimination against a protected class

Again, it is because the woman is pregnant, not because she is a woman.

while you would approve the sale of that drink to a male customer with diabetes, where such alcohol would be deleterious to his condition

I don't believe I ever spoke to that.

Again, it is because the woman is pregnant, not because she is a woman.

I don't believe I ever spoke to that.

her protected class kicks in because she is protected by virtue of gender
if you do not exclude males for the same reason, you have violated her equal rights

and of course you did not speak to that circumstance of serving liquor to a male customer with diabetes, recognizing his condition would be worsened by drink

that example renders your argument to be a bogus one
why unilaterally make a health decision for the woman but not the man

and of course you did not speak to that circumstance of serving liquor to a male customer with diabetes, recognizing his condition would be worsened by drink

that example renders your argument to be a bogus one
why unilaterally make a health decision for the woman but not the man

No it doesn't. I don't care what the reason for refusal of service is. If it is diabetes, pregnancy, an ugly wart, whatever, I don't care. People object to this law because they are worried about the unborn and think it is morally wrong to force someone to take part in harming it.

Back
Top Bottom