• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Portland,Oregon

Dumb analogy, not to say hugely insulting to black people. Attempting to conflate a minor scuffle with decades of brutality, lynchings and treating blacks as untermenschen? Disgusting.

At this point, they just can’t help themselves.

Well, seeing as the Communist USSR lost millions of lives (11 million soldiers 26 million civilians) in throwing Germany out of the USSR, and thus created a pivotal moment which changed the direction of the war, I suggest that at least some measure of approval for Communist assistance might be in order. Not that I'm defending violence on either side of the political spectrum today.

I understand your general idea but I'm not seeing shades of old Soviets defending their homeland from Hitler's Huns in any of the scumbags marching these days. They seem to enjoy wearing the uniforms but it's like watching Dick Sargent replacing Dick York on "Bewitched", or Curly Joe replacing Curly on the Stooges, it's nowhere near the same.

You can't have McHale's Navy without Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway and you can't have Gomer Pyle USMC without Jim Nabors.

Plus, they've made it clear, at least to me, that they despise ordinary liberals like me or any kind of Democrat, and they are happy to attack any news guy, which I used to be, so carrying a camera around Antifa is a ticket to getting my expensive gear smashed and I don't carry insurance on it like I used to when I was full time.

I understand your general idea but I'm not seeing shades of old Soviets defending their homeland from Hitler's Huns in any of the scumbags marching these days. They seem to enjoy wearing the uniforms but it's like watching Dick Sargent replacing Dick York on "Bewitched", or Curly Joe replacing Curly on the Stooges, it's nowhere near the same.

You can't have McHale's Navy without Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway and you can't have Gomer Pyle USMC without Jim Nabors.

Plus, they've made it clear, at least to me, that they despise ordinary liberals like me or any kind of Democrat, and they are happy to attack any news guy, which I used to be, so carrying a camera around Antifa is a ticket to getting my expensive gear smashed and I don't carry insurance on it like I used to when I was full time.

Buy a Nikon F; old but indestructible (many survived Vietnam)! Also hefty enough for a little retaliatory self-defence;)

Buy a Nikon F; old but indestructible! Also hefty enough for a little retaliatory self-defence;)

Nikon F? Not a print journo.

(older camera from back when I was more or less full time)
JVCGYHD110side1.jpg

Besides, even an old heavy DSLR can be damaged...it's the lenses. They often cost more than the camera body.

Portland is a fantastic city for so many reasons. Portlandia gives many of those reasons while simultaneously teasing Portland, which is just how many Portland residents like it.

Typical reaction of Portlanders to Portlandia - here's news...they weren't laughing with you, they were laughing at you. Portland is not a fantastic city (although at one time it was pretty good before California's and others arrived). Once working class and middling income it's now an unaffordable enclave of bistro culture snobs who enjoy micro managing homeowners and neighborhoods, and implementing idiotic programs and experiments.

It's that particularly odious composition of white liberalism, in probably one of the whitist large cities (and burbs) in America. Unlike a truer multi-ethnic community like Berkeley I find Portland (my birthplace) to be nanny state oppressive … a rule bound "proper behavior" culture lacking in grit and wry humor. Seriously, Portlanders are absolutely lame when they try jokes and sarcasm - Seinfeld's culture wouldn't happen in ever so polite Portland.

So yes, I love the old craftsman homes (especially when they were affordable), the tree lined streets, the natural affinity for courtesy. But to be honest, the culture is now stifling and monotonously stunted - a living cliché.

It’s too bad you didn’t like it there. Every time I am there, I have a blast.

I’ll be moving back there for good in a dozen years or so. In my experience, it has only gotten better.

I agree with you that greater diversity would only improve it.

I thought Conservatives were against the Viticimization culture? I guess not when it benefits your narratives that you want to spin.

I've never seen a group more dependent on victimhood than modern conservatives. Just look at who they elected to represent them, the biggest snowflake of them all.

I've never seen a group more dependent on victimhood than modern conservatives. Just look at who they elected to represent them, the biggest snowflake of them all.

You know, your post didn't create any angst with us Trump supporters. We're just shaking our heads at the content of this post...:lamoYou need to try harder.

He walked directly into the crowd of Antifa lol. You'd think he was just a random journalist strolling down the street in downtown Portland, he was well known to the Antifa in Portland, and hated and yet chose to proceed. That doesn't absolve the Antifa members, but for me it absolves Ngo of ANY sympathy. He asked for this as a stunt, and the fact that he posses for a Journalist is a sad state for institution of Journalism.

I love how you're equating the plight of Conservatives (this is really just the alt-right and far right that are really involved at these protests) to the struggle of blacks in America. I thought Conservatives were against the Viticimization culture? I guess not when it benefits your narratives that you want to spin.
She had a short dress on, she was asking for it.

Back
Top Bottom