• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Politics from the Pulpit

That's wrong. In his corporate position there are certain restrictions. In his personal life he can endorse whomever he likes whenever he wants.

Religious corporation?

Yet according to the First Amendment government cannot dictate religion.

Religious corporation?

Yet according to the First Amendment government cannot dictate religion.

His religion is not being dictated.

But, like was said before, actions can be regulated, even religious actions.

His religion is not being dictated.

But, like was said before, actions can be regulated, even religious actions.

Yeah, sure - if all are affected equally and without bias or prejudice - they can pass regulations that affect *all churches*
But if it comes down to who can pay and who can't - all churches aren't affected equally.

Our views differ - mine will never become standardized.

But, still - religions/religious leaders should be able to strongly criticize government all they please. There's no logical reason to actually govern this in any way. If there is a logical reason why they shouldn't be allowed to criticize or choose a side - by all means - please inform me.

The way I see it right now: If the Westboro Baptist Church can come to my Uncle or my Husband's (thankfully hypothetical) funeral and protest under their 1st Amendment protections then surely my Dad should have the right to support or oppose the government at his church services.

It's hypocritical - and pointless.

Last edited:
"The existing law controls a 501 C3 corporation, not an individual." - tryreading

Corporations are made up of people who have a First Amendment right to engage in the political process as they see fit. The fact that you and others do not care for the idea is the reason that we have the First Amendment in the first place.

The preacher does indeed have the right to say anything from the pulpit. He/she will not be arrested nor jailed for doing so, if it isn't terroristic threats. But if that speech is political, the IRS has every right and DUTY to yank tax-exempt status from that church. Freedom isn't being taken away, freedom from taxation is.

Period.

Westboro doesn't lose their tax exemption because their garbage is always spewed on public, not Westboro Baptist, property. That's why they need to be a traveling caravan of crazed clowns.

Regards from Rosie

Yeah, sure - if all are affected equally and without bias or prejudice - they can pass regulations that affect *all churches*
But if it comes down to who can pay and who can't - all churches aren't affected equally.

Our views differ - mine will never become standardized.

But, still - religions/religious leaders should be able to strongly criticize government all they please. There's no logical reason to actually govern this in any way. If there is a logical reason why they shouldn't be allowed to criticize or choose a side - by all means - please inform me.

The way I see it right now: If the Westboro Baptist Church can come to my Uncle or my Husband's (thankfully hypothetical) funeral and protest under their 1st Amendment protections then surely my Dad should have the right to support or oppose the government at his church services.

It's hypocritical - and pointless.

Who said they couldn't criticize government?

“The preacher does indeed have the right to say anything from the pulpit. He/she will not be arrested nor jailed for doing so, if it isn't terroristic threats. But if that speech is political, the IRS has every right and DUTY to yank tax-exempt status from that church. Freedom isn't being taken away, freedom from taxation is.” - RosieS

And yet churches were able to speak freely without threat of retribution from the IRS prior to 1954.

Imagine that!

And by the way, has anybody noticed how Liberals scream “separation of Church and state” at every turn so paranoid that some kind of theocracy will replace the Constitution but seem to forget their little mantra when the state is forcing limits on the church as actually prohibited by the Constitution.

Just wonderin'...

Back
Top Bottom