• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Political scientists rank Trump last, Lincoln first in presidential greatness survey

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Political scientists rank Trump last, Lincoln first in presidential greatness survey

By Andrew Dunn
February 19, 2018

trump_lincoln.jpg

Former Presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Ronald Reagan enjoyed upward bumps in their greatness rankings, while President Donald Trump was ranked historically low, according to a presidential "greatness" survey released Monday. The 2018 Presidents and Executive Politics Presidential Greatness Survey, released Monday, was based on 170 usable responses from current and former members of the American Political Science Association's presidents and executive politics section.
The survey asked the presidential experts to use a 0-100 scale "for overall greatness," with zero being failure, 50 being average and 100 being great. Roughly 57% of the respondents were Democrats, 13% were Republicans and 27% were independents (3% selected "Other"). Overall, Trump came in dead last. The seven greatest presidents, according to respondents, remained unchanged from the same survey's results in 2014, the previous time it was taken. In order, they were Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt, Thomas Jefferson, Harry S. Truman and Dwight Eisenhower. Trump did not fare well even when parsing the results by party and ideology. He ranked 40th out of 44 among Republicans and conservatives.

Self-identified Republicans and conservatives also ranked Washington above Lincoln as the all-time greatest president. Among all those surveyed, another commander-in-chief who struggled in his rank: Bill Clinton, who fell to 13th best after being ranked eighth in 2014. Obama came in eighth, up 10 spots from 18th in 2014. George W. Bush moved up five spots, from 35th to 30th. Reagan also moved into the top 10, ranking ninth. In 2014, he was at 11. Political science professors Brandon Rottinghaus of the University of Houston and Justin S. Vaughn of Boise State University authored and published the survey.

Trump is definitely (by a yuuge margin) the worst US president during my lifetime.

Related: Official Results of the 2018 Presidents & Executive Politics Presidential Greatness Survey

So why did Trump rank so high?

So why did Trump rank so high?

He was only ranked so low because there are a lot of people like yourself who would give him a 0 no matter what he does. Thought doesn't come into the issue, just "TRRRUUMMMPPP!!!!"

Also, this wasn't a scientific study, it was just a poll that any 5th grader could have done.

He was only ranked so low because there are a lot of people like yourself who would give him a 0 no matter what he does. Thought doesn't come into the issue, just "TRRRUUMMMPPP!!!!"

Also, this wasn't a scientific study, it was just a poll that any 5th grader could have done.

Why did they poll fifth graders? It would have more credibility if they surveyed political scientists and historians with some academic standing.

Trump will blame this on Hillary & Obama :2razz:

Trump will claim that Mueller is involved in a 'conspiracy' with the 'deep state' to deprive Trump of his 'ratings' .......... :lol:

Trump was last heard, running down the hallways of The White House screaming, "My ego, OMFG, my ****ing egooooooooooooooooooo" ............ :lamo

Why did they poll fifth graders? It would have more credibility if they surveyed political scientists and historians with some academic standing.

May I suggest abcmouse.com....

May I suggest abcmouse.com....

I can beat that. The site itself tells us who was surveyed and they were several galaxies removed from your mythical fifth graders

The 2018 Presidents & Executive Politics Presidential Greatness Survey was conducted online via Qualtrics from December 22, 2017 to January 16, 2018. Respondents were current and recent members of the Presidents & Executive Politics Section of the American Political Science Association, which is the foremost organization of social science experts in presidential politics. 320 respondents were invited to participate, and 170 usable responses were received, yielding a 53.1% response rate.1

Isn't information a wonderful thing? I think it is. ;):2wave:

Trump is definitely the worst US president during my lifetime.

Related: [/B]

Lincoln was pretty bad. He invaded a sovereign country resulting in the death of over 600k of his own and their citizens, just so he could force them to live in his union. LBJ and Nixon were pretty bad too. They forced hundreds of thousands of citizens to fight and die in a unnecessary war. Nixon covered up criminal activity and apparently was a traitor, interfering in foreign policy as a candidate. Bill Clinton probably raped women, and certainly sexually harassed an intern.

Early Presidents enslaved people and enabled slavery. Other early presidents nearly wiped out native americans.

Trump, given his short time, barely deviates from average. He certainly has one of the worst public images, but on policy he hasnt really accomplished or harmed anything yet.

When the geniuses were better they would wait more than one year into a Presidency to attempt to judge it on the historical spectrum , in fact there was once a rule that we should wait 20 years after they leave office to make such an attempt as this.

AMERICA SUCKS NOW

Lincoln was pretty bad. He invaded a sovereign country resulting in the death of over 600k of his own and their citizens, just so he could force them to live in his union. LBJ and Nixon were pretty bad too. They forced hundreds of thousands of citizens to fight and die in a unnecessary war. Nixon covered up criminal activity and apparently was a traitor, interfering in foreign policy as a candidate. Bill Clinton probably raped women, and certainly sexually harassed an intern.

Early Presidents enslaved people and enabled slavery. Other early presidents nearly wiped out native americans.

Trump, given his short time, barely deviates from average. He certainly has one of the worst public images, but on policy he hasnt really accomplished or harmed anything yet.

Right libertarians have a deep seated hate for Lincoln. I guess they resent him denying property rights to all those slave owners.

Imagine how he'd rank if it weren't Hillary Clinton who ran against him.

The economy is booming. Employers are hiring. Unemployment is way down. All three of these things would not have happened had Clinton been in office. We would have had less employment. More corporations fleeing the country. Another stagnant economy with a bunch of liberals crowing at half percent increases, as if it were the roaring twenties.

At this point, a potato could have probably done a better job than Clinton. This article is nothing but a hate-media smear job.

The economy is booming. Employers are hiring. Unemployment is way down. All three of these things would not have happened had Clinton been in office. We would have had less employment. More corporations fleeing the country. Another stagnant economy with a bunch of liberals crowing at half percent increases, as if it were the roaring twenties.

At this point, a potato could have probably done a better job than Clinton. This article is nothing but a hate-media smear job.

I think youre overselling it. Economy is up a little. Unemployment was already way down. Employers were already hiring. Certainly Clinton might have made it worse, though with a GOP congress, how much damage could she have done?

These surveys are nothing more than a gauge of media influence on public opinion. If you present a collective opinion, in the news, that is 90% negative, over a years time, the herd will go along, so as to not appear out of step with the trend. This is like selling a pet rock and creating demand.

The polls are also slanted, because many people are afraid to express a contrary opinion, since a pro-Trump opinion will make you a target. If you support Trump the bullies will come after you. You are not bullied if you say anything negative against Trump. There is a reward. The political scientists appear to be hacks, if they can't see the impact of the manipulation of public opinion; 90% negative will lead to this result.

If you had done a poll, about Lincoln, in the south after slavery ended, the southern Democrat propaganda machine would have made him the worse president of all time. If you lived in the south, you would never say the opposite in public, or else the Klan would target you. If you are polled with leading questions, you would look around to see where the goons are. The Democrats tactics have not charged since then.

Voters get to vote in private, and can lie to exist poll, so they are not followed home and harassed by leftists goons. This is how Trump won and beat the polls. The polls were defective due to the built in Trump taboo.

How about an experiment, where the media fawns over Trump, like they did over Obama, for the next year. They will hide his flaws and exaggerate his intelligence and vision. We can ten do another poll to see how effective this is. If people were allowed to like Trump, and were harassed for being negative about him, the polling result would change. Or if we only allow rational people to state an opinion, we would not even have to do this mirror manipulation.

An interesting exercise is to go back to President Bush's presidency, and listen to the leftist propaganda and read those polls. Wasn't Bush the Anti-Christ? If Trump is worse than Bush and the Anti-Christ is as evil as humans get, Trump cannot be as evil as the left likes even better.

Bit also, this is an example of what happens when the propaganda stopped against Bush, and people can reflect back and express any opinion, in peace, The results will change. Bush was not the fake person the media sold. The media influence is not long term but is temporary and short term.

The political scientists appear to be leftist hacks, if they did not see the propaganda variable and report it as apart of the trend. Universities appear to put out publicly biased professors, who may be afraid to reveal the truth.

Last edited:
How about an experiment, where the media fawns over Trump, like they did over Obama, for the next year.

How about a better experiment where Trump acts and articulates like a president for the next three years, and removes his lips from Putin's backside.

How about a better experiment where Trump acts and articulates like a president for the next three years, and removes his lips from Putin's backside.

How about an even better experiment where everyone cuts out the hyperbole and snark?

Trump is not my favorite president but I think it's too early to judge him,his ranking could change in the future

Trump will blame this on Hillary & Obama :2razz:

Trump will claim that Mueller is involved in a 'conspiracy' with the 'deep state' to deprive Trump of his 'ratings' .......... :lol:

Trump was last heard, running down the hallways of The White House screaming, "My ego, OMFG, my ****ing egooooooooooooooooooo" ............ :lamo

THAT'S what pure TDS looks like,folks.....

THAT'S what pure TDS looks like,folks.....

No; that is actually what Trump believes .............. the delusional mind of a 5th grade bully that believes everyone is out to get him & his poor ego ....................

This survey has Obama ranked 8th best & Polk only 20th that's sure fire evidence of fabrication. Their is an admission that 57% respondents were
Democrats & only 13% were republican enough said.

Here's a poll that rates all of them on 21 different areas of performance and the amount of time each are considered in the top 1/3
in each area: Siena College Research Institute, Presidential Expert Poll:

Washington 20 of 21
Jefferson 20 of 21
Lincoln 20 of 21
T. Roosevelt 20 of 21
F. Roosevelt 20 of 21
----------------------
Wilson 16 of 21
Monroe 15 of 21
Madison 15 of 21
Eisenhower 15 of 21
Kennedy 15 of 21
Truman 14 of 21
Polk 13 of 21
Jackson 13 of 21

Those ratings seem close to spot on. Of the 5 who had 20 ratings in the upper 3rd, 4 out of the 5 are on Mt. Rushmore

The other eight all of them have to be considered in the top 15. Trump gets an incomplete, Obama is certainly not 8th
on the totem pole & Polk the best one termer in my book certaily is not as low as #20.

As jonny5 said, you are overselling Trump’s accomplishment. The economy is maintaining the same path as was so under Obama, the only difference is that under Obama the same people, who now praise the economy, called the economy terrible.
Job growth was actually higher in 2016 than 2017 and those coal jobs that Trump gutted environmental regulations to save, never came back.

The survey of academics in the field was based upon objective criteria but I understand your need to reject anything that doesn’t confirm what you want to believe.

Oh, wow 1 year in office and at the bottom? Imagine that, 24/7 negative attacks, focus on rhetoric and ignorance of data seems to motivate liberals to long for the days of the Obama malaise, social engineering and foreign policy disasters. Keep it up leftist and we could become that third world utopia you seem to want

As jonny5 said, you are overselling Trump’s accomplishment. The economy is maintaining the same path as was so under Obama, the only difference is that under Obama the same people, who now praise the economy, called the economy terrible.
Job growth was actually higher in 2016 than 2017 and those coal jobs that Trump gutted environmental regulations to save, never came back.

The survey of academics in the field was based upon objective criteria but I understand your need to reject anything that doesn’t confirm what you want to believe.

Let's see, forth qtr 2016 GDP, 1.5%, first qtr 2017 GDP 1.2%, 2nd Qtr GDP 3.1%, third qtr GDP 3.2%, and 4th qtr GDP 2.6% Thank you Obama for giving us Trump and thank you leftists for showing us just how poorly informed and partisan you are as it doesn't look like an upward trend to me under Obama but maybe math may be a better skill for you than me

I think a- one has to separate style from substance with Trump. By my measure, he is a remarkably successful GOP president. His admin. has weakened enviornmental protections, labor protections, etc., standard republican fare, even as he provides entertaining distractions that facilitate media ignoring those issues. True, he is also pretty corrupt, as he has used his office to benefit his businesses, but we knew that would likely happen going in. Where he is terrible is in style, and by that I mean the notion of a president as a unifier and a consoler, a dignified symbol/representative of the country. He lacks certain skills in displaying empathy, and one can simply accept that absence. But his active negatives, his insulting rhetoric, whether aimed at women's looks, calling immigrants rapists, spreading false information about black on white crime, seems either intended to divide us, assuming intentionality on his part, or is just part of his general, well, dickishness.

But b-, his lying is over the top, unexceeded by anything since fascism and communism, in my view, though obviously far less dangerous. When he says, "I am the first president to..." One knows picky commentators will soon prove him wrong. When he recently said that there were murders in Chicago on a weekend when Obama spoke there, comments in line with his other lies about crime, was anyone surprised that a quick check showed that was not the case? His earlier stuff on media reports of Muslims celebrating 9/11 in New Jersey seems almost quaint now.

But for me, Trump's dark side, as shown in the Central Park Five case, is the troubling part. His role was akin to that of an old southern politician who in the presence of a report of the rape of a white woman, gave the speech that led to the lynch mob being formed. And he doesn't even have the stones to apologize for his actions. Not a nice person. But he knew his supporters well, eve as he insulted them with the shooting on 5th Avenue comment. His support for dictators is part of this as well.

Back
Top Bottom