• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police Shoot Unarmed Man With His Hands Up

Not that it actually matters, but I was assuming the autistic person was an adult. Autistic children are usually with their parents, not in a assisted living facility.

Why?

I'm not asking that from the perspective that we don't need those things but I really want to know how those tools would be used.

My take on cameras is that they can be an excellent forensic tool for a lot of these situations but my concern is that the public is going to demand the footage not for forensic purposes but to sate their own voyeuristic desires. The camera can only tell part of the story and people need to understand that.

That thin blue line is pretty tough to break. According to some the police never do wrong.

I said it's badpolice work if you end up shooting somebody on the ground with their hands up. I haven't said whether it was intentional or not.

Try making your argument through a long diatribe, maybe that will work.

You are far too quick to assume bad police work when you have no verification that any hands were up when the shooting occurred.

Did you make that mistake in the Mike Brown shooting too?

:)

You are far too quick to assume bad police work when you have no verification that any hands were up when the shooting occurred.

So... the guy who was shot... lied? Please try to stay on topic.

They are fairly common and have become more common since 20 cops have been shot recently.

There any data to this, or is it supposition? I've seen articles claiming that departments have received surplus fully automatic M-16, but not that they have been distributed for standard use.

Regardless, even if it were a fully automatic (not likely), he still shot a guy on the ground with hands up. Government agents shooting unarmed citizens is not something that can be allowed.

There any data to this, or is it supposition? I've seen articles claiming that departments have received surplus fully automatic M-16, but not that they have been distributed for standard use.

Regardless, even if it were a fully automatic (not likely), he still shot a guy on the ground with hands up. Government agents shooting unarmed citizens is not something that can be allowed.

You don't know the guy had his hands up or what the other man was doing at the time of the shot.

The cop doesn't know that. The young man looks normal enough to him and he has been told that there is a gun involved.

He must use normal procedure in that situation........and that would be to shoot if the man reaches as to grab a weapon.

I don't know about that. It took about a second to see that the kid sitting there wasn't mentally competent.

From what I saw the cops, who were set up for a felony stop, should have downgraded their response once the guy was on the ground with his hands up. The other individual obviously had no concept of what was going on.

So... the guy who was shot... lied? Please try to stay on topic.

Could have lied, could have been confused, could have been a lot of things.

You don't know the guy had his hands up or what the other man was doing at the time of the shot.

He had his hands up and was on the ground for the full of that video.

You really seem to be stretching here to try to excuse police shooting an unarmed man on the ground.

The cop doesn't know that. The young man looks normal enough to him and he has been told that there is a gun involved.

He must use normal procedure in that situation........and that would be to shoot if the man reaches as to grab a weapon.

And then finds himself confronted with a clearly disabled person with a toy truck, which looks nothing like a gun, and someone lying on their backs with their hands in the air. At a certain point, a reasonable officer would start to doubt the 911 caller.

I don't know about that. It took about a second to see that the kid sitting there wasn't mentally competent.

From what I saw the cops, who were set up for a felony stop, should have downgraded their response once the guy was on the ground with his hands up. The other individual obviously had no concept of what was going on.

The cop doesn't know that.

The guy could be faking.

Until everybody is cuffed it's a life-threatening situation when they have a report of a gun.

Could have lied, could have been confused, could have been a lot of things.

You don't get to weasel yourself out of your statements with platitudes. We have the person who was shot saying he was on the ground with his hands up. That's our evidence. If you're saying we don't know he did, you're either ignorant of the evidence we do have, or dismissing it as a lie. Which is it?

Try harder to defend this cop.

And then finds himself confronted with a clearly disabled person with a toy truck, which looks nothing like a gun, and someone lying on their backs with their hands in the air. At a certain point, a reasonable officer would start to doubt the 911 caller.

The cop has probably seen people fake all kinds of conditions.

He has a report of a gun involved. It may be concealed. Cops do NOT arbitrarily doubt the info they're given......they abide by it.

Anyway, I don't see why certain people give cops a much stronger benefit of the doubt than everyone else. We don't need proof beyond a reasonable doubt to form an opinion on an online debate forum.

It looks pretty bad from every angle at present.

The cop doesn't know that.

The guy could be faking.

Until everybody is cuffed it's a life-threatening situation when they have a report of a gun.

Well I guess the police should be trained a little bit better in threat assessment, huh? Or it's just cool to have armed government agents gunning down unarmed civilians. Opps...fingers slipped on my fully automatic weapon...nothing to see here folks.

You don't get to weasel yourself out of your statements with platitudes. We have the person who was shot saying he was on the ground with his hands up. That's our evidence. If you're saying we don't know he did, you're either ignorant of the evidence we do have, or dismissing it as a lie. Which is it?

Try harder to defend this cop.

What he says is just that.......what he says.

It may or may not be true for several reasons.

What are you claiming that the cop did wrong? What is your evidence for your claim?

The cop needs no defense at this point. Evidence against him would have to appear.

Hasn't yet. Just speculation on your part.

Well I guess the police should be trained a little bit better in threat assessment, huh? Or it's just cool to have armed government agents gunning down unarmed civilians. Opps...fingers slipped on my fully automatic weapon...nothing to see here folks.

Again, any speculation about police wrongdoing is just that......speculation at this point.

You sound a little eager to accuse a cop.

Anyway, I don't see why certain people give cops a much stronger benefit of the doubt than everyone else. We don't need proof beyond a reasonable doubt to form an opinion on an online debate forum.

It looks pretty bad from every angle at present.

But it IS speculation.

What he says is just that.......what he says.

Yes, in a court of law, it would be called 'eyewitness testimony' and it would be evidence. So I am asking you, are you saying he is lying? Yes or no answer.

I'm glad you dropped that stupid argument about phantom M16s.

What are you claiming that the cop did wrong? What is your evidence for your claim?

An innocent civilian was shot with his hands up while laying on the ground.
An innocent civilian was shot with his hands up while laying on the ground. It's the same answer for both of them.

The cop needs no defense at this point. Evidence against him would have to appear.

It already has in the form of the statements made by the person shot. You are welcome to refute it any day.

He had his hands up and was on the ground for the full of that video.

You really seem to be stretching here to try to excuse police shooting an unarmed man on the ground.

There is no video to show the time of the shooting......therefore no evidence for your theory.

How is this possible?? Light skinned suicidal guy with autism.... Playing with a truck. Police are called cuz light skinned suicidal. Cops shoot black man. How the **** does this even work???? Then when the cop is asked "Why did you shoot me????" He replies, "I dunno...."

We need a revolution on cop hiring. Maybe its time to just fire all the cops and start all over with COMPLETELY new training. And extensive tests to prove people arent subconscious racists.

Yes, in a court of law, it would be called 'eyewitness testimony' and it would be evidence. So I am asking you, are you saying he is lying? Yes or no answer.

I'm glad you dropped that stupid argument about phantom M16s.

An innocent civilian was shot with his hands up while laying on the ground.
An innocent civilian was shot with his hands up while laying on the ground. It's the same answer for both of them.

It already has in the form of the statements made by the person shot. You are welcome to refute it any day.

Evidence from only one side is meaningless.

When we hear the other side we'll be able to draw conclusions.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/police-shoot-unarmed-man-hands-094600924.html

Badly trained people, make terrible decisions. This is one of those cases. We need better police training.[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

The guy had his hands up. The cop attempted murder. Im guessing he thought he was legally and able to get away with killing someone because of a suicide call. Im starting to think that maybe there is more hidden murder cops hiding in our society than I thought. Needs to be a new rule that cops are IMMEDIATLY terminated of employment FOR LIFE if ANY shooting "accident" happens. If a cop is guilty of murder then they need to be put away for at least 40-50 years until these cops learn to respect society.

There must be a problem with some cops trying to murder people any time they think they legally can and going "oops". Feigned ignorance. I bet if the guy didnt keep his hands up the whole time, even though he was shot, that cop might have executed him.

Evidence from only one side is meaningless.

It's enough for a conviction. You are more than welcome to refute it whenever you want.

How is this possible?? Light skinned suicidal guy with autism.... Playing with a truck. Police are called cuz light skinned suicidal. Cops shoot black man. How the **** does this even work???? Then when the cop is asked "Why did you shoot me????" He replies, "I dunno...."

We need a revolution on cop hiring. Maybe its time to just fire all the cops and start all over with COMPLETELY new training. And extensive tests to prove people arent subconscious racists.

Unbunch the panties.

It will probably turn out to be a tragic accident.

Back
Top Bottom