• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police officer charged with two felonies

Oh, that mayor.

It seems to me that an outside investigation, as opposed to one done internally by the police themselves, is called for in this instance. Somehow, an internal investigation could wind up simply confirming what the police want the public to know.

That goes back to making my point - why isn't the mayor held accountaable for the "need" to have an outside investigation?

She further said she "absolutely believes we need to have an outside investigation," especially when Baltimore's dark history of police misconduct is considered.

Freddie Gray death: Protesters rally in Baltimore - CNN.com

Why does the mayor continue to pay for any inside investigators if they are not doing their jobs? Baltimore has paid nearly $6 million in police misconduct "settlements" in the past four years.

That goes back to making my point - why isn't the mayor held accountaable for the "need" to have an outside investigation?

Freddie Gray death: Protesters rally in Baltimore - CNN.com

Why does the mayor continue to pay for any inside investigators if they are not doing their jobs? Baltimore has paid nearly $6 million in police misconduct "settlements" in the past four years.
I don't know.

I do agree with the mayor that an outside investigation is called for. Whether they pay the inside investigators that aren't doing their jobs, I'm not sure. Police investigation the police seems to me to be hiring a fox to watch the henhouse though.

Oh, that mayor.

It seems to me that an outside investigation, as opposed to one done internally by the police themselves, is called for in this instance. Somehow, an internal investigation could wind up simply confirming what the police want the public to know.

What about the prosecutor? They are not (technically) supposed to be inside the police department. There are police witnesses who say that the arrested man did not resist arrest, no force was used and that he was OK when he was placed into the police van - 30 minutes later he is hospitalized with a severe spinal injury and later died. Are we supposed to believe that he broke his own neck and crushed his own larynx while in police custody?

What about the prosecutor? They are not (technically) supposed to be inside the police department. There are police witnesses who say that the arrested man did not resist arrest, no force was used and that he was OK when he was placed into the police van - 30 minutes later he is hospitalized with a severe spinal injury and later died. Are we supposed to believe that he broke his own neck and crushed his own larynx while in police custody?

No, not technically. If, however, an inside investigator were to come to the conclusion that there was no abuse of force and no one should be indicted, would you believe them? Well, neither would I, and neither would the people of Baltimore. They would shout "cover up", and rightly so. That's why an impartial third party has to conduct an investigation.

No, not technically. If, however, an inside investigator were to come to the conclusion that there was no abuse of force and no one should be indicted, would you believe them? Well, neither would I, and neither would the people of Baltimore. They would shout "cover up", and rightly so. That's why an impartial third party has to conduct an investigation.

That may be the spin but I suspect just more business as usual - ignore the criminal aspects and dole out a cash settlement to the victim's family. That has been Baltimore's past reaction to similar situations. Who, exactly, should pay for this third party investigation? Why should Baltimore, or any other local gov't, not be forced to pay the full cost of this mess?

That may be the spin but I suspect just more business as usual - ignore the criminal aspects and dole out a cash settlement to the victim's family. That has been Baltimore's past reaction to similar situations. Who, exactly, should pay for this third party investigation? Why should Baltimore, or any other local gov't, not be forced to pay the full cost of this mess?

The cost of the investigation is small potatoes compared to the cost of any pay outs that might be necessary. The city should pay, of course, as it is their mess.

Then, the cops involved need to be fired at the least and some no doubt jailed, unless, of course, the outside investigator finds that there was some sort of bizarre accident. Somehow, that seems pretty unlikely.

The process of sweeping this sort of thing under the carpet and simply paying off the victims and their families is what has to end, don't you think?

The cost of the investigation is small potatoes compared to the cost of any pay outs that might be necessary. The city should pay, of course, as it is their mess.

Then, the cops involved need to be fired at the least and some no doubt jailed, unless, of course, the outside investigator finds that there was some sort of bizarre accident. Somehow, that seems pretty unlikely.

The process of sweeping this sort of thing under the carpet and simply paying off the victims and their families is what has to end, don't you think?

It can only end when the mayor makes it end. So long as the mayor allows the police unions (supported by state law?) to play judge and jury then this will continue. If the mayor lacks the authority (or will) to fire these publicly funded morons, including the prosecutor(s), then no change is likely. To her credit, the mayor has requested changes in the state law to make it easier to weed out "rogue" cops but that is simply placing the inaction blame on others and making excuses as to why her hands are tied.

It can only end when the mayor makes it end. So long as the mayor allows the police unions (supported by state law?) to play judge and jury then this will continue. If the mayor lacks the authority (or will) to fire these publicly funded morons, including the prosecutor(s), then no change is likely. To her credit, the mayor has requested changes in the state law to make it easier to weed out "rogue" cops but that is simply placing the inaction blame on others and making excuses as to why her hands are tied.

Right, and the first step would seem to me to bring in outside investigators who aren't part of the police themselves.

The unions can't stop the city from firing police who have been shown to have abused their power. They might stand in the way of an internal investigator, but once the facts have been determined, there's not much they can do. Anyway, it's really not in the best interests of the police or their union to protect the few who are giving the department a bad name.

Right, and the first step would seem to me to bring in outside investigators who aren't part of the police themselves.

The unions can't stop the city from firing police who have been shown to have abused their power. They might stand in the way of an internal investigator, but once the facts have been determined, there's not much they can do. Anyway, it's really not in the best interests of the police or their union to protect the few who are giving the department a bad name.

Compare Baltimore's local inaction to the OP's local action and it may show that it is possible to not pass the buck to outside authorities. The federal government should insist on Baltimore funding in full the costs of this investigation, regardless of its outcome. It is silly to let Baltimore get a free ride on the federal taxpayers - it is Baltimore's mess to fix not responsibility of the entire nation.

Compare Baltimore's local inaction to the OP's local action and it may show that it is possible to not pass the buck to outside authorities. The federal government should insist on Baltimore funding in full the costs of this investigation, regardless of its outcome. It is silly to let Baltimore get a free ride on the federal taxpayers - it is Baltimore's mess to fix not responsibility of the entire nation.

Of course.

This is a local problem, and should be solved by the local government.

On the other hand, we all know that federal money is free, right?

Of course.

This is a local problem, and should be solved by the local government.

On the other hand, we all know that federal money is free, right?

Absolutely, its right there in the 'reward for failure' clause of our constitution. ;)

In theory I'm all for local independent review, but it depends on who appoints the reviewers. If it's the same people who hire and oversee the police, then you'll have to excuse me for being skeptical.

In theory I'm all for local independent review, but it depends on who appoints the reviewers. If it's the same people who hire and oversee the police, then you'll have to excuse me for being skeptical.

Agreed. The independent reviewers have to actually be independent, not just called that.

Do you say the same thing towards other (e.g. black on black) crime? Yes, a tiny minority of LEOs commit crime as does a tiny minority of the rest of the population. When a public servant commits crime it gains the appearance (to some) of being government sponsored even when it is clearly not, as in this case, where criminal charges result.

The problem with these kind of situations is the acceptance of their fellow cops, as we see with The Thin Blue Line of mutual support.

The other issue is the typical tip of the iceberg - what is the level of police abuse that takes place that is not reported or unknown.

I find it amazing that with the recent public knowledge of bad policing, that these incidents just continues to happen.

Current agency administration should be kicking their departments asses to do their jobs lawfully and not bend or break the law of department rules.

There are too many cops who believe themselves to be the 'rule of law', and have not learned that the old and brutal ways need to stop.

Back
Top Bottom